Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

40 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Detroit is near average snow to date, there's snow on the ground and it's cold.  What more can a winter lover ask for?

Might as well take the bait.

The short version:

There are three issues for winter lovers -

(1) Our average snowfall is pathetic to begin with

(2) Snowfall is not a good metric for winter lovers anyway; should use Snow Depth Days (SDDs)

(3) In Detroit's case...along with any other areas near here who actually saw some snow between Nov 15-Dec 15...it was all gone by Christmas anyway.  So, any snowfall before Christmas this year was just stat-padding, and not very meaningful. 

Once a snowpack begins after 12/1, it should stay.  It can fluctuate up and down a bit when bigger storms or modest thaws occur...but it shouldn't go away completely. That's why it's so important to get decent snowfall amounts early in the season...say 11/20 through 12/10.  Otherwise, you have to hope every single day remains in the 20s or colder in order to preserve what little is on the ground (even for me, that's a lot to ask for).

There is a huge irony in all of this - our winter climo would be improved dramatically by a small increase in average snowfall (say up to 50"), with DJF average temps about 5F colder.  Not asking for International Falls or the UP or Fairbanks, contrary to how many on this forum characterize things.

Very simple - seasons in seasons.  90 days of consistent summer (Jun 10 - Sep 10 in NE IL due to lake influence), matched by 90 days of consistent winter.  We have consistent summer every year, except maybe 1992 with Pinatubo; I don't wake up on August 10th or June 24th or July 8th and wonder if it will feel like summer that day.  It's something you can count on.

But we have only had consistent winter once (1978-79). Consistent winter means nearly all days (not necessarily 100%) during the 90-day period have high temps < 35F and at least 2" of snow cover. Again, nothing crazy. Many of you don't agree on this next point...but 2010-11 was infuriating to me because, as great as the GHD I storm was, the snow was all gone 2 weeks later.  If GHD I occurred on March 1st instead of Feb 1st, that would be fine...but 22" of snow that falls on Feb 1st should remain on the ground for the rest of Feb, at a minimum.  Even 12" should.  Not saying the depth has to remain at 22"...but you just can't have 22" of snow melt in 2 weeks during met winter.

For anyone who cares - I don't really enjoy participating on or viewing this sub-forum anymore...because everyone goes out of their way to make you feel guilty and defensive about loving winter. It really sucks.

You don't want to hear the long version. :guitar:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Might as well take the bait.

The short version:

There are three issues for winter lovers -

(1) Our average snowfall is pathetic to begin with

(2) Snowfall is not a good metric for winter lovers anyway; should use Snow Depth Days (SDDs)

(3) In Detroit's case...along with any other areas near here who actually saw some snow between Nov 15-Dec 15...it was all gone by Christmas anyway.  So, any snowfall before Christmas this year was just stat-padding, and not very meaningful. 

Once a snowpack begins after 12/1, it should stay.  It can fluctuate up and down a bit when bigger storms or modest thaws occur...but it shouldn't go away completely. That's why it's so important to get decent snowfall amounts early in the season...say 11/20 through 12/10.  Otherwise, you have to hope every single day remains in the 20s or colder in order to preserve what little is on the ground (even for me, that's a lot to ask for).

There is a huge irony in all of this - our winter climo would be improved dramatically by a small increase in average snowfall (say up to 50"), with DJF average temps about 5F colder.  Not asking for International Falls or the UP or Fairbanks, contrary to how many on this forum characterize things.

Very simple - seasons in seasons.  90 days of consistent summer (Jun 10 - Sep 10 in NE IL due to lake influence), matched by 90 days of consistent winter.  We have consistent summer every year, except maybe 1992 with Pinatubo; I don't wake up on August 10th or June 24th or July 8th and wonder if it will feel like summer that day.  It's something you can count on.

But we have only had consistent winter once (1978-79). Consistent winter means nearly all days (not necessarily 100%) during the 90-day period have high temps < 35F and at least 2" of snow cover. Again, nothing crazy. Many of you don't agree on this next point...but 2010-11 was infuriating to me because, as great as the GHD I storm was, the snow was all gone 2 weeks later.  If GHD I occurred on March 1st instead of Feb 1st, that would be fine...but 22" of snow that falls on Feb 1st should remain on the ground for the rest of Feb, at a minimum.  Even 12" should.  Not saying the depth has to remain at 22"...but you just can't have 22" of snow melt in 2 weeks during met winter.

For anyone who cares - I don't really enjoy participating on or viewing this sub-forum anymore...because everyone goes out of their way to make you feel guilty and defensive about loving winter. It really sucks.

You don't want to hear the long version. :guitar:

I was definitely being sarcastic about Detroit.  A winter lover couldn't be that satisfied with what has happened so far, even there.  Like you said, too much of a break in December.

I think your standards are too high for where we live.  They will only be met maybe 1% or 2% of the time.  Most people don't judge it how you do.  We all like winter (well, most of us).  You don't have to feel ostracized or something.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Detroit is near average snow to date, there's snow on the ground and it's cold.  What more can a winter lover ask for?

Barely an inch on the ground... and our largest storm is like 4". It isn't a great year.  Yes we have had more than others but it's still not great.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Real weenies want 8+snow events. There hasnt even been a 6" event to track. Im well aware thats been nonexistent most places this winter except for south of minneapolis, but still these 12+ hrs to get 3-4 inches gets old. Id rather it torch than get any more events where just enough snow falls to make driving difficult lol. 

• Like 2

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE, IL  
127 PM CST SUN JAN 9 2022  

SHORT TERM  

ISSUED AT 125 PM CST SUN JAN 9 2022  

THROUGH MONDAY...  

WHEN IN A TRUE WINTER PATTERN IN THE MIDWEST, THERE OFTEN ARE AT   
LEAST MINOR EVENTS EVERY ~48 HOURS OR SO, AND THAT'S THE CONTINUED  
CASE INTO EARLY THIS WEEK.

22 hours ago, mimillman said:

It is a good point on the clipper parades. I can’t remember the last good one where we had several 1-3” type events in a week. That’s supposed to be what we’re known for!

LOT:

BROAD UPPER-LEVEL NORTHWESTERLY FLOW WILL PREVAIL FROM THE MIDDLE OF   
NEXT WEEK ONWARD AS A LOW-LEVEL BAROCLINIC ZONE BECOMES ESTABLISHED   
FROM THE DAKOTAS TO THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES. SUCH A REGIME TYPICALLY   
ACTS AS A HIGHWAY FOR CLIPPER SYSTEMS IN OUR NECK OF THE WOODS EVERY   
1-2 DAYS,
THOUGH THE BAROCLINIC ZONE ITSELF MAY END UP RATHER BROAD   
AND UNFOCUSED (E.G. GUIDANCE IS PRESENTING PLENTY OF VARIANCE IN   
WHERE EACH CLIPPER WILL TRACK).

12 minutes ago, Baum said:

LOT:

BROAD UPPER-LEVEL NORTHWESTERLY FLOW WILL PREVAIL FROM THE MIDDLE OF   
NEXT WEEK ONWARD AS A LOW-LEVEL BAROCLINIC ZONE BECOMES ESTABLISHED   
FROM THE DAKOTAS TO THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES. SUCH A REGIME TYPICALLY   
ACTS AS A HIGHWAY FOR CLIPPER SYSTEMS IN OUR NECK OF THE WOODS EVERY   
1-2 DAYS,
THOUGH THE BAROCLINIC ZONE ITSELF MAY END UP RATHER BROAD   
AND UNFOCUSED (E.G. GUIDANCE IS PRESENTING PLENTY OF VARIANCE IN   
WHERE EACH CLIPPER WILL TRACK).

I agree, just not quite seeing it modeled yet. Can certainly change 

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I was definitely being sarcastic about Detroit.  A winter lover couldn't be that satisfied with what has happened so far, even there.  Like you said, too much of a break in December.

I think your standards are too high for where we live.  They will only be met maybe 1% or 2% of the time.  Most people don't judge it how you do.  We all like winter (well, most of us).  You don't have to feel ostracized or something.

I will say those deep cold snaps were a treat for pond hockey & snowshoeing. Definitely would be okay with a Traverse City/Minneapolis type climate which is ironic coming from someone in Charleston but hey that’s what makes weather so cool right?

• Weenie 1

21 hours ago, Stebo said:

Barely an inch on the ground... and our largest storm is like 4". It isn't a great year.  Yes we have had more than others but it's still not great.

Thanks to the useless brief thaw yesterday there's far more grass than snow showing now. Frozen patches of snow glued to the frozen ground and snow banks that would kill someone in a sniceball fight. Definitely not been a great Winter so far, but I'm liking that we are going to be in a cold pattern for the foreseeable future. Really hoping the clippers pan out. If long range models (as useless as thaws) can be trusted, those who ice fish must be salivating as temperatures look to be well below normal as we approach the dead of Winter later this month. 

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

As a fellow Winter lover, I love beavis' passion but I just don't understand his standards.  I know Detroit and Toledo were ground 0 in the historic 2013-14 Winter, but it was still a severe Winter in Chicago. How you cannot consider that a consistent winter is mind boggling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First the midatlantic, then a noreaster looks likely next. East coast always finds a way to stumble into a storm regardless of enso. Crazy were almost halfway through another big dog less winter in great lakes region.

Ediiit, looks like the energy that dives due south out of canada is responsible for the potential east coast storm. Gotta luv the track, around most of the forum.

I was already depressed about sitting at less than 2" of snow for the winter and no signs of anything in the offing, but I made the mistake of checking out the weenie explosion in the eastern subforums after the 12z's came out. It would be some consolation if it was dry and seasonable, but this dry, cold, bare frozen tundra crap sucks. 

• Like 1