Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

3 hours ago, nwohweather said:

On track to finish December with 19 of 31 days with highs in the 70’s here. Even with a few chilly days looks like our average high is going to be 69°, that’s 9° above average for December. Glad to see you’re getting a little winter weather in the region, gives me hope for some “Fall” weather

We're so going to pay for this next month.

Although it's fun tracking winter storms here, the higher population centers and therefore the regions with the most posters are once again in the crosshairs. Meanwhile, down here in FWA land, we will once again get fringed.

Snow totals for the season:

Nov. 0.7"

Dec. 0.8"

Forecast snowfall for 1/2: Around 0.5"

Maybe Ohio will adopt us.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Although it's fun tracking winter storms here, the higher population centers and therefore the regions with the most posters are once again in the crosshairs. Meanwhile, down here in FWA land, we will once again get fringed.

Nov. 0.7"

Dec. 0.8"

There's always hope!

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Nov. 0.7"

Dec. 0.8"

I swear if its anything Chicago area it happened or didn't happen lol. 

On 12/29/2021 at 7:16 PM, nwohweather said:

On track to finish December with 19 of 31 days with highs in the 70’s here. Even with a few chilly days looks like our average high is going to be 69°, that’s 9° above average for December. Glad to see you’re getting a little winter weather in the region, gives me hope for some “Fall” weather

I'll share the final numbers for DFW tomorrow, because we're going to be nailbiting the truly extreme numbers for the month today, but regardless they're definitely an entire:clown:show.

Inferno would be an understatememt.

• Like 1

A met friend sent me this two-page info sheet concerning the development of an Accumulated Winter Season Severity Index (AWSSI). It is a collaborative effort between NWS and MRCC to index winter conditions for a particular location. Although the paper is pretty basic, it highlights the data being inputted to develop the index. What are your thoughts on the concept and do you feel the data to be used is sufficient to make the index useful?

https://mrcc.purdue.edu/research/awssi/AWSSI_InfoSheet_2pg.pdf

On 12/30/2021 at 6:08 PM, Baum said:

hmmm. He didn't it mention while trolling our snow thread.

lol'd

Was able to get up there and get into one of the neighborhoods in Louisville that was completely gone. Nothing left. Worse than any tornado damage I've ever seen. Just horrible and looked like a scene from a natural disaster movie. 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

For years my Ariens snowblower blew snow poorly.  When it encountered deeper or dense snow the flow out the chute would quickly collapse.  The last couple years it was bad and incredibly frustrating.  It took forever to clear my driveway and my neighbor's.  Recently I found some YouTube videos showing how adjusting the idler pulley tightens the auger/impeller belt and leads to better blowing power.  The day before the New Year's Day storm I made a simple 1/4" inward adjustment to the pulley, which snugged the belt nicely.  It totally solved the problem!  The blower instantly went from shit to better than it was when purchased fourteen years ago.  The flow out the chute remained strong no matter how much snow was being fed into the auger.  Even the dense plow snow at the end of the driveway was cleared with ease.  Now, instead of dreading having to clear deep or wet snow, I know it will be easy.  It's a game-changer.  I sure wish I had made the simple fix years ago.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

For years my Ariens snowblower blew snow poorly.  When it encountered deeper or dense snow the flow out the chute would quickly collapse.  The last couple years it was bad and incredibly frustrating.  It took forever to clear my driveway and my neighbor's.  Recently I found some YouTube videos showing how adjusting the idler pulley tightens the auger/impeller belt and leads to better blowing power.  The day before the New Year's Day storm I made a simple 1/4" inward adjustment to the pulley, which snugged the belt nicely.  It totally solved the problem!  The blower instantly went from shit to better than it was when purchased fourteen years ago.  The flow out the chute remained strong no matter how much snow was being fed into the auger.  Even the dense plow snow at the end of the driveway was cleared with ease.  Now, instead of dreading having to clear deep or wet snow, I know it will be easy.  It's a game-changer.  I sure wish I had made the simple fix years ago.

It may cause the belt to wear out a bit quicker but it's definitely worth it even if you have to change a belt once in awhile. :thumbsup:

I know this Winter has different things going on than what we had in 2011-2012, but I have that same feeling of despair as I did back then.  The only difference is, now I know what's coming.  I feel like the models did the same bullshit back then, that they are doing this year.  

Even if we have a Blockbuster February, it's just not the same knowing that in a week or two, it's over.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

I know this Winter has different things going on than what we had in 2011-2012, but I have that same feeling of despair as I did back then.  The only difference is, now I know what's coming.  I feel like the models did the same bullshit back then, that they are doing this year.  

Even if we have a Blockbuster February, it's just not the same knowing that in a week or two, it's over.  

By no means has it been a great winter here, but the difference between Detroit and Toledo has been unusually extreme so far this season. As if the state line is the cutoff. That said, its way too early for you to write-off January let alone winter. I know you mentioned that it's different than 2011-12, but it's clearly Is much different. With the cold look dominating the foreseeable future, if any sort of clipper pattern pans out you will definitely get some of the goods.

• Like 1

So far this winter has gone much like how a good chunk of 2021 went.  Very long periods of benign/dry weather, and then maybe a week or two stretch of excitement that quickly brings the long-term stats a little closer to the overall average.  So, if the theme continues we shall see another 3-5 weeks of blah followed by an exciting stretch somewhere in mid February, and that perhaps drops 10-20" of snow in that time frame.  Following that another 3-6 week stretch of mind-numbing boringness until the next stretch of excitement arrives in late March/early April. :rolleyes:

• Sad 1