Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

On 12/19/2021 at 2:15 AM, cyclone77 said:

The lack of activity this year in this thread sadly indicates how accustomed we've become to the slower starts to winter as of late.  In years past this thread would have already had a few decent rants by now.  

If I’m not mistaken the winter of 17/18 was bitterly cold to start. We went 2 weeks there around Christmas without getting above freezing 

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

If I’m not mistaken the winter of 17/18 was bitterly cold to start. We went 2 weeks there around Christmas without getting above freezing 

Correct.  With a snow storm on Christmas Eve.  One of my favorite Christmas periods weather wise.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frog Town said:

Correct.  With a snow storm on Christmas Eve.  One of my favorite Christmas periods weather wise.  

We actually have had a handful of perfectly timed snowstorms over the past few decades.

Dec 24/25, 2002: 6.8"

Dec 24/25. 2003: 3.3"

Dec 22/23, 2004: 8.5"

Dec 24/25, 2017: 5.5"

Dec 24/25, 2020: 3.6"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Frog Town said:

Yeah it seems quite apparent the Central Lakes region is in a period similar to what the 1990s were now. Since 2005 Toledo has had 3 of its 5 snowiest Januaries and 4 of the top 5 snowiest February’s of all time

18 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah it seems quite apparent the Central Lakes region is in a period similar to what the 1990s were now. Since 2005 Toledo has had 3 of its 5 snowiest Januaries and 4 of the top 5 snowiest February’s of all time

Always hearing how the 90's sucked down this way. Pencil me confused..

6 hours ago, chuckster2012 said:

That 2004 storm was a monster down here. 27" imby. Most I've ever seen. ..

Yes! probably my favorite Christmas storm even though it occurred a week before.    Where it stayed all snow in western Ohio and eastern IN, as you said, you guys got clobbered.   I think there were totals above 30" in some places if not close to 40".    We received 7" of snow followed by about .5" of ice.   Got very cold following the storm right through Christmas.  Between the snow and the ice-covered landscape, it was an amazing scene.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Yes! probably my favorite Christmas storm even though it occurred a week before.    Where it stayed all snow in western Ohio and eastern IN, as you said, you guys got clobbered.   I think there were totals above 30" in some places if not close to 40".    We received 7" of snow followed by about .5" of ice.   Got very cold following the storm right through Christmas.  Between the snow and the ice-covered landscape, it was an amazing scene.

That was a good one.  As we drove from Hilliard to the SE corner of the state it went from snow to freezing rain to just plain rain.  Came home to a snow covered driveway encased in ice.  It was a pain to shovel that mess off my driveway.

2 hours ago, buckeye said:

My favorite winter storm ever. Seems to be forgotten a lot too. Indy had 8-12 inches. Just south and east started really ramping up. I think some areas in Southern Indiana like Washington County had 30-37 inches

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

January 1999 was epic and March 1999 had a good run too. The Winters of 1992-93 & 1993-94 were pretty good. Otherwise, a bunch of forgetful winters. 

most overlooked decade/period was the mid 80's thru early 90's. From 1983 thru 1991. not much was going on. 

That dual block (NPac Ridge + Greenland block) is shredding any system that tries to form and cut into our region. Not to forget that impressive Nina ridge in the south. Bummer. Pacific pattern is relentless, I don't see any major changes until at least January 10. 

You realize we just exited the last pattern late last week? One in which did not have significant blocking and featured several significant cutting storm systems.

The next pattern shift looks to occur at some point next week and into New Years weekend. That will be approximately the 5th or so different pattern shift since Halloween.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

You realize we just exited the last pattern late last week? One in which did not have significant blocking and featured several significant cutting storm systems.

The next pattern shift looks to occur at some point next week and into New Years weekend. That will be approximately the 5th or so different pattern shift since Halloween.

All have one thing in common. The Relentless SE Ridge. That won’t budge