Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

53 minutes ago, Toro99 said:

December 9th, and the "Winter 2021-22 Medium/Long Range Discussion" thread hasn't even been started. I wonder what the latest date for that bump is over the years. I'm a lurker so it won't be me....

Thread was started on September 13th; titled 2021-22 Winter Discussion.  Hasn't been much of a reason to post in it lately.

On a separate note, the 12z Euro has H85 temps around 18C at ORD on Wed night 12/15.  What in the fook is happening...those are warm 850mb temps even if it were mid-September.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toro99 said:

December 9th, and the "Winter 2021-22 Medium/Long Range Discussion" thread hasn't even been started. I wonder what the latest date for that bump is over the years. I'm a lurker so it won't be me....

As beavis noted it was started in September, and at this point, it is mainly the "Winter short/medium range discussion" thread that is used for pattern discussions.

Looking back, there was a general winter discussion started by Hoosier last September, that was more big picture overall type thread. The medium and long range discussion was used to hype GFS storms in fantasyland. That’s my drug......Wasn’t the short/medium used to catch small systems that were not thread worthy, once they got inside a few days? Most likely I am miss remembering

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Thread was started on September 13th; titled 2021-22 Winter Discussion.  Hasn't been much of a reason to post in it lately.

On a separate note, the 12z Euro has H85 temps around 18C at ORD on Wed night 12/15.  What in the fook is happening...those are warm 850mb temps even if it were mid-September.

Running around outside after dark comfortably in shorts on Dec 28th 1984. Can we repeat that before we start calling this episode crazy and unheard of?

48 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Running around outside after dark comfortably in shorts on Dec 28th 1984. Can we repeat that before we start calling this episode crazy and unheard of?

Are you one of those guys that run around all winter in shorts? lol I have a feeling that there are multiple posters here that do that. I know that a couple of mail carriers around here are die-hard shorts wearers until it turns brutal.

0D7zO-1523878765-tile_image-106788.jpg

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, IWXwx said:

Are you one of those guys that run around all winter in shorts? lol I have a feeling that there are multiple posters here that do that. I know that a couple of mail carriers around here are die-hard shorts wearers until it turns brutal.

0D7zO-1523878765-tile_image-106788.jpg

No. I hate being even a little bit cold. That wasn't a thing back then like it is these days. It was a very mild 65F in the evening right after dark. I may have been out for a jog tho.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WaryWarren said:

Sun angle is increasing, boyos. :sizzle:

Here at KIND the sun angle fell to the lowest (27 degrees) at meridian on December 7th. Will not increase back to 28 degrees until January 4th. So, we still have around thirty days until the angle is increasing. Your latitude will vary I suppose.  

14 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Here at KIND the sun angle fell to the lowest (27 degrees) at meridian on December 7th. Will not increase back to 28 degrees until January 4th. So, we still have around thirty days until the angle is increasing. Your latitude will vary I suppose.  

Regardless of where you are sun angle won’t increase until the solstice on the 21st 

OK, I just found tenths of degrees here at KIND. Currently at meridian the Sun angle is 27.1 degrees. It will go down to 26.8 on the 19th and will not increase to 26.9 until the 24th. So still twelve days until the sun angle increases here. As a side note we are currently 91,517,000 miles from the Sun. That will continue to decrease until Jan. 2nd when we hit 91,407,000 miles and does not increase until Jan. 6th.

1 hour ago, KokomoWX said:

So IMBY (OKK) might finish December without measurable snow.  The 10 Day ECMWF is nada and the 16 day GFS is equally as bleak with just a couple of tenths for the entire period.  My gosh this is a bad start.  The rubber band snap back better be amazing come January.    

I think the rubber band might have broke ☹️

• Like 1