Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I betcha many of us started off using weatherbug then quickly realized it sucked and useless.

Hoping for a ice storm Friday, it's been a while. Exploding transformers, cracking/creaking branches and limbs w/a shiny coating on everything ...the whole 9 yards. 

38F/sunny

Ive been there done that Ice storm crap its not fun at all. Being without power for 2 weeks wasn't fun running a generator everyday.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

So do blizzards, hurricanes, severe weather/t-storms, tornados, flooding etc. This is a weather board so you take/follow what mother nature throws your way...

38F

I disagree with your line of reasoning rooting for an ice storm. Go root for a hurricane and tornados while you're at it I guess. Having it happen and being interested in it for varying reasons is one thing. Rooting for it? Not so much. My two cents. You won't take them so feel free to drop them off in the donation jar anyways.

• Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

I disagree with your line of reasoning rooting for an ice storm. Go root for a hurricane and tornados while you're at it I guess. Having it happen and being interested in it for varying reasons is one thing. Rooting for it? Not so much. My two cents. You won't take them so feel free to drop them off in the donation jar anyways.

Again, it's a weather board. Doesn't matter if I root for it or not, it will/will not happen as we have no control. It could be me, you or a guy down the street named Harry who experience damage. I like active weather. Wind, golf ball size hail, 2" freezing rain...whatever. You haven't been here very long but this subforum is pretty dead during the summer if there's nothing going on. I mean days w/o a post because the weather is boring...

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, dssbss said:

Hi everyone,

How big is the concern for an ice storm for the Berks County region or do we feel it will stay warm enough for just rain?    I notice temperatures are going to drop during the day Friday.  Are we concerned about a flash freeze?

Depends on how quick the cold air rushes in but I would think Berks is prime for some icing....

28F

11 minutes ago, dssbss said:

Hi everyone,

How big is the concern for an ice storm for the Berks County region or do we feel it will stay warm enough for just rain?    I notice temperatures are going to drop during the day Friday.  Are we concerned about a flash freeze?

You are a blast from the past. :P  Hope you are well...

I think it is supposed to be colder up that way although more of a possibility of ice and snow than further south.  The 18z GFS looks like a stronger and longer-lasting icing system vs the NAM.

floop-nam-2022020118.ref1km_ptype.conus-18z-feb3-5-storm-02012022.gif

floop-gfs-2022020118.prateptype_cat.conus-18z-feb3-5-storm-02012022.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

Most folks here are fascinated by extreme weather  events, watching them unfold and occasionally experiencing them firsthand.  There are a lot of folks willing to go out of their way to chase tornados, hurricanes, snowstorms etc.

Unfortunately, these events can destroy property and kill people.  Nobody is hoping for death and destruction and no amount of rooting for or against an event has any effect on the outcome.

I’m afraid you may be in the wrong place if you’re looking for folks who feel morally obliged to root against extreme weather.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Again, it's a weather board. Doesn't matter if I root for it or not, it will/will not happen as we have no control. It could be me, you or a guy down the street named Harry who experience damage. I like active weather. Wind, golf ball size hail, 2" freezing rain...whatever. You haven't been here very long but this subforum is pretty dead during the summer if there's nothing going on. I mean days w/o a post because the weather is boring...

I've been here for many years. I know how you are and many others. We're not seeing eye to eye on this one so forget it. You said you hoped for it and there's people here actively telling you their bad stories and why they'd like to avoid it. We're probably not going to see it anyway like you mentioned, it's rare. No hard feelings have yourself a great night regardless.

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, yak said:

Most folks here are fascinated by extreme wearher events, watching them unfold and occasionally experiencing them firsthand.  There are a lot of folks willing to go out of their way to chase tornados, hurricanes, snowstorms etc.

Unfortunately, these events can destroy property and kill people.  Nobody is hoping for death and destruction and no amount of rooting for or against an event has any effect on the outcome.

I’m afraid you may be in the wrong place if you’re looking for folks who feel morally obliged to root against extreme weather.

I'm absolutely fascinated by extreme weather. I'm glued to the TV during hurricane coverage. I'm never rooting for it to happen but once it does, it's out of our hands. Buddy over here literally said he's rooting for it and wants the whole 9 yards. I'll say the same thing to you as I did to him. No hard feelings, see it the way you want to see it, and have yourself a good night.

A long time ago I was a meteorology major which I doubt many people here can actually say. It didn't last long but part of it was due to my prospects of having to do the weather in non-eventful places. I'm not anti interesting weather at all.

It's fine, I know how people are these days. A house down the road caught on fire last year. I pulled over and called 911. Everyone else pulled over and started filming. That's the world in a nut shell unfortunately.

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

You are a blast from the past. :P  Hope you are well...

I think it is supposed to be colder up that way although more of a possibility of ice and snow than further south.  The 18z GFS looks like a stronger and longer-lasting icing system vs the NAM.

floop-nam-2022020118.ref1km_ptype.conus-18z-feb3-5-storm-02012022.gif

floop-gfs-2022020118.prateptype_cat.conus-18z-feb3-5-storm-02012022.gif

How does this GFS look compare with the 12z GFS?

1 minute ago, yak said:

Most folks here are fascinated by extreme whether events, watching them unfold and occasionally experiencing them firsthand.  There are a lot of folks willing to go out of their way to chase tornados, hurricanes, snowstorms etc.

Exactly. I may be a strange breed but I enjoy witnessing severe events and the adversity it may cause. (No electricty, internet, heat, icy/snowy roads) Your body shifts into a different gear and you adjust...

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Exactly. I may be a strange breed but I enjoy witnessing severe events and the adversity it may cause. (No electricty, internet, heat, icy/snowy roads) Your body shifts into a different gear and you adjust...

It’s the electricity threat that bothers me most. I don’t travel much and can stock up before storms.  

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You're not strange or a bad person. I understand where you're coming from. I guess I'm softer now adays. Do me a favor and keep tabs on the system for us and let us know how it's going to play out. I'm more than willing to stay three more days in Florida and watch from afar lol.

• Weenie 1

51 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Ive been there done that Ice storm crap its not fun at all. Being without power for 2 weeks wasn't fun running a generator everyday.

And that's if one actually has a generator. Many do not, and two weeks without power in the winter can be deadly.

6 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I too enjoy the extreme weather. I was all about Sandy hitting till the wind got right up against us, and that was nerve racking. 

I remember the 1994 Ice capades. I remember the power out for 24 hrs, and my Mom getting nervous. 

I don't think anyone wants the worst case scenario right on their door, but it's nature. It's gonna do what it wants when it wants like it or not. Got to be ready. 

13 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

I too enjoy the extreme weather. I was all about Sandy hitting till the wind got right up against us, and that was nerve racking. 

I remember the 1994 Ice capades. I remember the power out for 24 hrs, and my Mom getting nervous. 

I don't think anyone wants the worst case scenario right on their door, but it's nature. It's gonna do what it wants when it wants like it or not. Got to be ready. 

I like big snowstorms, am ok with arctic blasts, and enjoy tracking hurricanes. But tornadoes and ice storms/severe weather that knock out electricity aren’t fun.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

That was my longest power outage, 5-7+ days if I remember correctly. Heavy frz rain and temps in the low 20s, it adds up. Trees cracking, falling in the streets and the ice took weeks to melt, rock solid. That was one cold winter...some record lows.

1994.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting (and I think Mike suggested this in the AFD) that both the 6z NAM and 0z Euro are generally keeping tomorrow's event as generally rain along the the southern I-95 corridor, shunting the ice/snow across north of that area, where the 6z GFS shows more mix/ice as far south as Philly during the same time frame ("colder").

floop-gfs-2022020206.prateptype_cat.conus-6z-feb3-5-storm-02022022.gif

floop-nam-2022020206.ref1km_ptype.conus-6z-feb3-5-storm-02022022.gif

floop-ecmwf_full-2022020200.prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus-0z-feb3-5-storm-02022022.gif