• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

Saw some stats being posted on the NYC side- the airports are all in the top 5 snowiest January now and near -3.5F below normal. Only 75 miles as the crow flies away and the best I could do was squeak out some fringe action to edge above normal snow for the month. World's apart. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Saw some stats being posted on the NYC side- the airports are all in the top 5 snowiest January now and near -3.5F below normal. Only 75 miles as the crow flies away and the best I could do was squeak out some fringe action to edge above normal snow for the month. World's apart. 

19.5 here in south Brooklyn for the month 

JFK is over 20 inches 

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

You and I are close to the same latitude/ longitude.  I like seeing your posts because we seem to both share a similar outcome with the winter storms.  I definitely feel your pain.

• Like 1

Made it up to 24 as a high today (low did end up being 10) and was out clearing off the car under a blue sky, noticing that about 1/4 of the snowpack had disappeared (from blowing and insolation/sublimation) - and that was while the temps had mostly been in the low-20s most of the day.

Currently 22 with a dp that finally got above 0 and is at 9.

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

Even here in far NW NJ it’s been a pretty humdrum month and a very sub par winter. My biggest event so far is 3.7.”

4 hours ago, Albedoman said:

Lehigh Valley to Harrisburg  Donut Hole central. Thats why I am worried about a drought

What exactly are you worried about? There's no watches/warnings and people aren't filling pools, watering grass, washing cars as they would in the summer. We'll receive precip mid/late week and earth will continue as normal...

*Almost fell flat on my ass taking trash to curb...icy patch./ 18F 

18.jpg

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

6z GFS pressed the wave South for this week then has the late weekend system as well then has like 2 or 3 other frozen events this run. Here are Thurs-Fri totals fwiw. Low confidence in this one happening but posting it for discussion:gfs_asnow_neus_23.thumb.png.813015d8c8c21a7ebc011fdc4c15e182.png

Looks like a lot of that 10-1 total is from sleet.

8 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

What exactly are you worried about? There's no watches/warnings and people aren't filling pools, watering grass, washing cars as they would in the summer. We'll receive precip mid/late week and earth will continue as normal...

*Almost fell flat on my ass taking trash to curb...icy patch./ 18F 

18.jpg

currently the ground is frozen 2-3 feet right now.  There is less than 3 inches of snow on most surfaces except where piled from the plows. Any snow melt until Thursday when the precip arrives will be done by sublimation, not by precipitation. The snow will simply be transferred into a gas and be gone.  

For the areas that did get heavier snow, the infamous "fog eater process" will set up  and a significant reduction of the snowpack  will significant before the heavier precip arrives. I expect dense fog advisories out for those specific areas later in the week as the warm advects over the existing snow pack. 

For us in the LV  and Berks area, we have no little snow pack  to melt off even if rains over an inch. Most of snowpack  will simply be already melted or evaporated before Thursday in the sunshine and because the warm advected air is still too dry. Evaporative melting of the snow is extremely high right now, especially for the snow crystals that we got in the last storm.  You would think that just because the ground is bare by Thursday, that any rain fall will be able to soak into the ground . Your synopsis would be absolutely  incorrect.   The ground remains frozen below the first few inches of the soil horizon and any liquid runoff  will run directly into the creeks/stormwater systems.  The .5 to 1 inch of precip will be composed of road salt laden runoff going into the streams only to raise them back to near normal levels as the base flows have been significantly down since December.  The first few inches of the soil may thaw, but that's it. 

Then we repeat the frozen cycle all over again on Friday and the rest of the week as temps drop back into the single digits. You want proof?  here is the drought page for your purview.  Even though it is a minor drought condition , La Nina weather patterns that are waning and diminishing in our area historically do not bode well  for sufficient groundwater recharge in the spring months

https://www.drought.gov/location/18062

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

currently the ground is frozen 2-3 feet right now.  There is less than 3 inches of snow on most surfaces except where piled from the plows. Any snow melt until Thursday when the precip arrives will be done by sublimation, not by precipitation. The snow will simply be transferred into a gas and be gone.  

For the areas that did get heavier snow, the infamous "fog eater process" will set up  and a significant reduction of the snowpack  will significant before the heavier precip arrives. I expect dense fog advisories out for those specific areas later in the week as the warm advects over the existing snow pack. 

For us in the LV  and Berks area, we have no little snow pack  to melt off even if rains over an inch. Most of snowpack  will simply be already melted or evaporated before Thursday in the sunshine and because the warm advected air is still too dry. Evaporative melting of the snow is extremely high right now, especially for the snow crystals that we got in the last storm.  You would think that just because the ground is bare by Thursday, that any rain fall will be able to soak into the ground . Your synopsis would be absolutely  incorrect.   The ground remains frozen below the first few inches of the soil horizon and any liquid runoff  will run directly into the creeks/stormwater systems.  The .5 to 1 inch of precip will be composed of road salt laden runoff going into the streams only to raise them back to near normal levels as the base flows have been significantly down since December.  The first few inches of the soil may thaw, but that's it. 

Then we repeat the frozen cycle all over again on Friday and the rest of the week as temps drop back into the single digits. You want proof?  here is the drought page for your purview.  Even though it is a minor drought condition , La Nina weather patterns that are waning and diminishing in our area historically do not bode well  for sufficient groundwater recharge in the spring months

https://www.drought.gov/location/18062

From the same site, there are also areas to your south and west in similar circumstances in terms of "dryness" but none of the areas here in the east are at the "drought" level yet like some spots in VA or in the MW (especially northern WI and MN).  I won't even talk about the southwest and west. :o

As an obs, am now up to 27 with dp finally in the double digits at 12.

u.s.-drought-monitor -current-drought-as-of-jan252022-01-31-2022.png

20 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

From the same site, there are also areas to your south and west in similar circumstances in terms of "dryness" but none of the areas here in the east are at the "drought" level yet like some spots in VA or in the MW (especially northern WI and MN).  I won't even talk about the southwest and west. :o

As an obs, am now up to 27 with dp finally in the double digits at 12.

u.s.-drought-monitor -current-drought-as-of-jan252022-01-31-2022.png

Love the heart in NV :wub:

In other news...12Z GFS still looks icy.