Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

7 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

True, many storms have been ruined by getting the snowblower ready before the first decent storm. It is to be done during the storm and not before:guitar:

The jinx effect. :lol:

We are still outside the NAM range but 24 hours before the estimated start, the last panel on the 12z is showing what looks like a zonal flow with little or no trough amplification at all and a low just slip sliding straight OTS from FL!

Neither the 6z Euro (also somewhat still zonal then) or GFS (starting to show a tiny bit of positive tilt) have a low at that spot at that time frame.  Obviously have to wait for the 12zs and for the NAM to get into range.

floop-nam4km-2022012512.ref1km_ptype.conus-12z-jan29-storm-24hrs-before-01252022.gif

24 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

True, many storms have been ruined by getting the snowblower ready before the first decent storm. It is to be done during the storm and not before:guitar:

If it helps, I have been a terrible steward of my small gas engines (generator, mower, edger, snowblower!). I've not fired mine up since last February. Maybe I'll go tune up all the other things and leave the blower for Saturday morning if anything falls.

• Weenie 1

GEFS is leaning further west than the OP as well. Not too many complete whiffs. Might not be done shifting back west. Maybe the Euro was onto something after all. This was a pretty big swing at 12z with both the GFS and CMC. Not where we need it to be especially N and W but another shift like that and many of us will be very happy.

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_17.png

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_18.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

Better hope the 12z CMC doesn’t verify. Gets sub-960 on the benchmark but says F you to anyone not on the coast.

Not really, it show's warning level snow up to the 95 corridor. I understand it screws N and W but 95 does pretty well plus it shifted like 100 miles west from 00z. Don't think it's close to being a done deal.

image.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

Euro gives south Jersey over 3 feet (not exaggerating) on the weenie maps. 2 feet for Philly and NYC, and a foot plus towards the LV and Poconos. Would be an all-timer if it verified. Need to see other models join it, though…and the JMA doesn’t count.

DO NOT look a Kuchera maps.....

Anyone have any suggestions for me here? I have one of those wood gazebos with the tin roof. It has a snow load capacity which wasn't much but we never really got a lot of snow since I put it up 3 years ago or so. Just wondering what I am supposed to do if we get 2 feet of snow while I am not home. 

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Ratio's would likely be higher than 10:1 too. This is a MECS for 95 eastward as depicted by the Euro. Hopefully the GFS and CMC continue to trend towards it.

MECS? I'd say it's approaching HECS levels for I-95 east. Widespread 12-24"+ for all of DE, NJ, NYC, CT, and SNE

4 minutes ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

Anyone have any suggestions for me here? I have one of those wood gazebos with the tin roof. It has a snow load capacity which wasn't much but we never really got a lot of snow. Just wondering what I am supposed to do if we get 2 feet of snow while I am not home. 

Set it on fire before you leave and file for the insurance money. Then you'll already be ahead of the game with the insurance claim and won't have to worry about 2 Ft of snow collapsing it. Problem solved.:tomato:

1 minute ago, The Iceman said:

Set it on fire before you leave and file for the insurance money. Then you'll already be ahead of the game with the insurance claim and won't have to worry about 2 Ft of snow collapsing it. Problem solved.:tomato:

That sounds more complicated. They already thought I was committing insurance fraud once when my mustang was the only one flooded on the street. Probably better off getting the neighbor a bottle of 15 yr and asking him to keep an eye out. 

It'll end up being a 4-8" storm though anyways, no biggie :)

• Weenie 1