SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

8 minutes ago, Blue Dream said:

Starts Friday night...we're in a good spot for now

Exactly...it's midday Monday?

As a long time follower this will change a million times to make your head spin....hopefully for the best. Not getting hyped before 48hrs....it's just a waste of time IMO unless you're a MET and this is your career/livelihood.

33F

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

As a long time follower this will change a million times to make your head spin....hopefully for the best. Not getting hyped before 48hrs....it's just a waste of time IMO unless you're a MET and this is your career/livelihood.

33F

Totally agree...maybe this is one that locks in for a few days like that Buffalo storm a few weeks back.

55 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

33F

Models do tend to pick out the big ones days out.  Not saying this will be the case, especially in the pattern we are in, but nearly every models has us with a SECS

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm thinking you may want to reconsider that flight to FL Saturday. Things are changing quickly.

Hi Ralph,

I changed the flight to 9 AM on Friday instead a few hours ago. I think the setup has a lot of boom or bust potential still. I don't think most people like to be in the strike zone this far out that's why I kind of have doubts. I could see this thing going right OTS but better safe than sorry.

PS I have defended the trolls off your back in the MA forum. We will not stand for these attacks.

-RSC

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

33F

Bet you can't log off  and stay away until Thursday morning. Just a hunch. I dont think anyone has it locked in....silly to even think that.

I do not believe we get jack crap. OTS or hits Long island  Boston area.  The cards are not in play at this time. That storm has to be at least 150 miles more sw and wrapped around and amped like hell. The best storms are down at the BM  at the Chesapeake Bay. Furthermore, the mid range models are so far off in this PA jet progressive pattern that it is scary.  When the Nam shows it at the 60 hour mark, I will bite at it. Until then time to just watch the mood flakes fall tonight.

Honestly this weather pattern is equal to the volatility of todays stock market activity -  and thats bad. I might as well be reading the futures in the market for our weather models. LOL

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

FWIW, ICON has the low tucked in closer to the coast on the 18Z vs. 12Z. Also, don't we typically disregard 06 and 18Z runs due to them being extrapolations on old data? I mean, of course, unless they indicate bombogenesis and a HECS. :D:D:D:weenie:

18z ECM is good enough too now but many are wary do to the GFS having this air of superiority...omg did I actually say that yikes

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Albedoman said:

I do not believe we get jack crap. OTS or hits Long island  Boston area.  The cards are not in play at this time. That storm has to be at least 150 miles more sw and wrapped around and amped like hell. The best storms are down at the BM  at the Chesapeake Bay. Furthermore, the mid range models are so far off in this PA jet progressive pattern that it is scary.  When the Nam shows it at the 60 hour mark, I will bite at it. Until then time to just watch the mood flakes fall tonight.

Honestly this weather pattern is equal to the volatility of todays stock market activity -  and thats bad. I might as well be reading the futures in the market for our weather models. LOL

Lets Debbie Downer now , can't do any worse at this time.  The GFS and GEM 0Z runs tonight were  a joke as they both have swinging volatility worse than the stock market today. The GEM has 18 inches  at noon, nothing at midnight. How the hell can you find a trend in that outcome is beyond me.

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

Lets Debbie Downer now , can't do any worse at this time.  The GFS and GEM 0Z runs tonight were  a joke as they both have swinging volatility worse than the stock market today. The GEM has 18 inches  at noon, nothing at midnight. How the hell can you find a trend in that outcome is beyond me.

The new thing now is to scrutinize the ensembles for trends, when the individual ensembles all have different outcomes east, south, north and west which can lead to any outcome imaginable. They are in a way a multiverse for a storm. Five years ago it was mainly the ops and the SREFS.

31 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Silver lining in the 0z runs trending towards a coastal scraper is long range is finally ending this endless arctic stupid cold

:oldman:

Philly is average for the month temp wise...ask Glenn. Hell, we need cold to have any sort of chance of some "real snow"  not over the night car toppers....

33F

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RedSky said:

NYC is finishing -3F not very far away somethings up with that

I heard it from another local MET within the week  and said WTF? Then when I heard it from Glenn today...well there may be something to this?

Not a stat geek so who knows? Maybe someone can shed light..

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

I heard it from another local MET within the week  and said WTF? Then when I heard it from Glenn today...well there may be something to this?

Not a stat geek so who knows? Maybe someone can shed light..

Not gonna lie no longer a fan of a cold month if there is below normal snows and several missed chances. After this week Philly will be below normal. But could have been worse guidance fell short of the depth of cold being projected two weeks ago.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Not gonna lie no longer a fan of a cold month if there is below normal snows and several missed chances. After this week Philly will be below normal. But could have been worse guidance fell short of the depth of cold being projected two weeks ago.

Cool, to each his own...it's a preference.

I would like it to stay 32F/under 24/7 from start/end winter regardless of snow potentials. If snow happens great...but I don't want jacked up 50-60F in winter. It just sucks since Spring/Summer is right around the corner... 

33F

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1