Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

25 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

As an interesting note this morning, apparently a snow shower/squall came through here overnight/early this morning and dusted the cars and some of the grass.  It was actually more than anything that I got with that band yesterday, which yielded a few flurries at best.  I expect the fact that the temps finally went below freezing after midnight might have helped with any stickage.

Currently 24 with dp 20.

Looks like I got clipped by it too, more frosted flakes out there this morning. 21F

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Well most if not all of the models see "something" for the Jan. 29 timeframe.  There are some variations of "where" but it seems pretty interesting that they lined up (although the Ukie is way to the SE)...

Otherwise I'm currently at 25 with dp 22.

floop-gfs-2022012406.prateptype_cat.conus-6z-jan29-storm-01242022.gif

floop-gefs-2022012406.sfcwind_mslp.conus-6z-jan29-storm-01242022.gif

floop-ecmwf_full-2022012400.prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus-0z-jan29-storm-2022.gif

floop-gdps-2022012400.prateptype.conus-0z-jan29-storm-01242022.gif

floop-ukmet-2022012400.sfcwind_mslp.conus-0z-jan29-storm-01242022.gif

Awesome trends...do we have to worry about this going too far west now lol?

9 minutes ago, Blue Dream said:

There are two short waves(sw) that are responsible for this event. Where and when they phase is important, or if they do at all. My biggest concern is that there is no blocking and if the phase is intense it'll wind up hugging the coast and bring mix or all rain. 

What I do know weather has no memory so ignore analogs and second what is this years trends. OTS or cutters/apps runners.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Blue Dream said:

It will depend on the amplitude of any propagating trough and whether that system gets kicked OTS or crawls up along the coast.  We are firmly in the midrange territory where these models tend to do poorly, jockeying back and forth with solutions, although they at least all agree "something" is afoot.

Looks like I bottomed out at 23 and currently partly cloudy, with lots of cirrus scattered around, and back up to 24 with dp 18.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

It will depend on the amplitude of any propagating trough and whether that system gets kicked OTS or crawls up along the coast.  We are firmly in the midrange territory where these models tend to do poorly, jockeying back and forth with solutions., although they at least all agree "something" is afoot.

Looks like I bottomed out at 23 and currently partly cloudy, with lots of cirrus scattered around, and back up to 24 with dp 18.

Don't want that southern piece to drop too far south for the right solution here correct?

1 hour ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Don't want that southern piece to drop too far south for the right solution here correct?

Yup - too deep and it will come inland or crawl along the coast but too shallow and OTS it goes.  It's in the amplification (and might also be dependent on what happens with the west coast ridge).  There have been some arctic incursions involved in that push.

• Like 2

I am wondering who the current pattern has favored this January? The west has been completely dry. Family in Chicago report very little snow on the season. And we've been cold but without the ingredients necessary to reliably produce good storms. So who in north america has been doing well in terms of snow this winter? Maybe Alaska?

• Weenie 1

All you can say about the weekend is this is exactly where you want to be with most models showing some sort of deep low along the east coast. The windshield wiper effect will be intense this week as we will have folks bailing left and right as one model goes up the Apps and then OTS....no matter how you slice it - this has been a cold and active (but slightly below average snow) January for the area. I think most of us would have signed up for this at the end of December!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 21chuck said:

I am wondering who the current pattern has favored this January? The west has been completely dry. Family in Chicago report very little snow on the season. And we've been cold but without the ingredients necessary to reliably produce good storms. So who in north america has been doing well in terms of snow this winter? Maybe Alaska?

Compared to average south of the mason dixon line has done pretty well this month same with SNJ and Delaware too. I think the lake effect areas of the Great Lakes have done good, same with Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota. The west coast got slammed in December and probably will again in February. It’s been a tough winter though for the Rockies, Midwest, and Northeast. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 21chuck said:

La Nina - https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/december-2021-la-niña-update-visual-aids

• Like 1

Regarding the weekend threat, I think it’s foolish to be confident either way on the effects to the area. Probably won’t get a decent read on it until 00z Thursday. Right now leaning towards a miss SE just based on the seasonal trends but it’s close to being amplified enough to get good snows here. Fact is the models have struggled with the N stream all winter long and until those pieces are on land and properly sampled, I don’t think anyone can say definitely this is a miss or apps runner. A few minor changes to the N stream changes the outcome significantly. Will be a good tracker though but I don’t think anyone should become emotionally invested until we get much closer. Would be nice to get this one though after all of the misses this month including in one of our more favorable regimes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Compared to average south of the mason dixon line has done pretty well this month same with SNJ and Delaware too. I think the lake effect areas of the Great Lakes have done good, same with Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota. The west coast got slammed in December and probably will again in February. It’s been a tough winter though for the Rockies, Midwest, and Northeast. 

Charlotte, NC got their first measurable snow in ~3 years and then ended up getting another one less than a week later. I would guess most of NC, VA, WV, and MD are at least slightly above average so far

25 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Regarding the weekend threat, I think it’s foolish to be confident either way on the effects to the area. Probably won’t get a decent read on it until 00z Thursday. Right now leaning towards a miss SE just based on the seasonal trends but it’s close to being amplified enough to get good snows here. Fact is the models have struggled with the N stream all winter long and until those pieces are on land and properly sampled, I don’t think anyone can say definitely this is a miss or apps runner. A few minor changes to the N stream changes the outcome significantly. Will be a good tracker though but I don’t think anyone should become emotionally invested until we get much closer. Would be nice to get this one though after all of the misses this month including in one of our more favorable regimes. 

I think everything is on the table, but it’s looking more like we get something. Should be fun to follow. The 12z Canadian was actually a bit west for comfort for some. 

54 minutes ago, 21chuck said:

Ya I understand it's been La Nina. I guess overall it's been an average La Nina January? Although the blocking in the West has been so strong even Washington has looked pretty dry

Coastal Washington state hasn't really been dry (in fact, the precip was excessive earlier in the winter) but other parts along the west coast have dried out recently where wild fires have been firing up sortof "off season".

current_usdm-as-of-jan18-01242022.png

• Like 1