• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

How the times sure have changed. Wrt the weekend potential, if this were 10 years ago we all would be drooling. Euro op and ens screaming MECS+, CMC just to the SE, and the GFS with a big jump this run now also with the low pressure just too far to the SE. All this 5 days out. We would have been saying this is right where we want it knowing the old N trend with these SS systems 5 days out. Ahh, the good old days. :oldman:

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

How the times sure have changed. Wrt the weekend potential, if this were 10 years ago we all would be drooling. Euro op and ens screaming MECS+, CMC just to the SE, and the GFS with a big jump this run now also with the low pressure just too far to the SE. All this 5 days out. We would have been saying this is right where we want it knowing the old N trend with these SS systems 5 days out. Ahh, the good old days. :oldman:

First all the models show an absolute plastering of snow 7 days out, then they pull back some and we all lament. Then the models slowly regress back to semi-significant, plowable snow. Rinse and repeat, for as long as I've been a member. It's a roller coaster each and every time, and I for one choose to enjoy the ride with all of my anonymous weather friends. Even @RedSky

• Weenie 1

Looks like a blend of the gfs and euro will likely be closest to reality for the weekend. Doubt the euro bomb MECS+ scenario is the final outcome and I also doubt the GFS ots is going to happen given amplification in the flow. Tbh the CMC is probably the closest to what will happen based on phasing, location, sw ejection, and ridging over top of the ull. Probably a stripe of heavier snows much like the early Jan system that affected DE and S NJ and left most of PA high and dry. Hopefully we can bring it farther N and W but im not feeling it. Starting to see some slight hints on the last 2 euro runs of ticks towards other guidance. 12z will be telling. 

This skinny lake effect band streaking all the way across the state has been a stubborn little thing this morning!  We've picked up an inch already and it keeps getting harder.  Big flakes, quarter mile vis.  My point and click forecast has 0-1% chance of precip.  Sneaky little 'event'! 

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, JuniorTT said:

This skinny lake effect band streaking all the way across the state has been a stubborn little thing this morning!  We've picked up an inch already and it keeps getting harder.  Big flakes, quarter mile vis.  My point and click forecast has 0-1% chance of precip.  Sneaky little 'event'! 

Yeah - there is apparently a broad lake-effect batch of precip in the middle of the state too.  The below is the streamer that has been sitting over you!

radar-01182022.png

radar1-01182022.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah - there is apparently a broad lake-effect batch of precip in the middle of the state too.  The below is the streamer that has been sitting over you!

Thanks for the images!  It's still ripping snow but now the wind is way up too so any meaningful measurements are out the window.  Front sidewalk blew itself clear, driveway is drifted 2-8" deep and counting.  Typical for my place regardless of actual snowfall though.

I thought today was going to be a decent melting day but I'm going to be out with the snow blower instead!

I would guess we've gotten 2" just eyeballing rates and duration.

19 minutes ago, JuniorTT said:

And just like that it's sagged south on me.  Zero wind, blue skies overhead, and a gray wall of heavy snow slowly drifting away to the south.  Typical for lake effect I suppose.  Highlight of the winter...so far!

Someone in "SE Nazareth" reported 0.60".  Those streamers probably operate like plumes of smoke where there will be breaks in the flow dependent on the strength of the wind and then when the wind shifts direction slightly, obviously the streamer shifts with it.

It always cracks me up when some of those streamers manage to make it all the way down here to Philly, sometimes creating a brief flizzard. :lol:  I'll look on the radar at amazement that it made it all the way diagonally across the state like that.

Edit to add KCCX's view of it.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 094154.png

radar2-kccx-01182022.png

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looking more and more like a similar tracks and band of snow as the early Jan storm that hit S NJ and left SE PA with flurries. Could be wrong, but thats my take on this one. I think N and W are out of luck this go round

Yes it does this winter blows. It blows cold air. 

On the 0z ECM despite the pretty graphics of the OP there were two ensemble camps half were an out to sea scraper like all other guidance. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1