Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Sounds more like a wind/rain issue than a humidifier one? Did you check the ceiling?

I know that's what I thought at first.  No water marks anywhere, just the floor.  Also the path of where it was leads me to believe the steam made water.  Thanks!  Hope your pile holds and we get pummeled this weekend.

I'm at 37F and some grupel still coming down.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

I know that's what I thought at first.  No water marks anywhere, just the floor.  Also the path of where it was leads me to believe the steam made water.  Thanks!  Hope your pile holds and we get pummeled this weekend.

Thank you too! Maybe it has a leak....we have one that we put in a tray for that reason.

1 hour ago, LVblizzard said:

Over a foot for most of us. Would feel a lot better about this if the Euro wasn’t totally on its own.

C58BC8C6-203B-4CA4-B2A6-4CB2FB70E2A3.png

Really couldn't be a better track for all the folks DC -> Boston that got screwed with this last one. One can dream... 

Btw some flakes in west philly right now with the wrap around showers

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Thank you too! Maybe it has a leak....we have one that we put in a tray for that reason.

I kept my humidifiers on overnight (LR/DR/BR) but have them set to cycle on/off to aim them for getting it to a certain (approximate) % humidity in the rooms they are in and they did cycle on and off, although even with the rain, it still never got higher than 44% in here with the forced air heat and an average room temp of 70.  The dewpoint (which is a temperature to reach saturation) is going to depend on the air temp and it won't go higher than your ambient high temperature (whatever your room temp is).  I would agree with Kamu that it could have been a leak since the water was only on the floor and I too have mine sitting on trays (including my bigger 3 gallon one on wheels that sits on a long boot tray thing on the floor).

Still overcast with temp 35 dp 28.  Luckily it looks like surfaces did dry with the breezes.

Euro has consistently been too fast to eject energy out of the Southwest since it had an upgrade a few years ago. This is something several of us have been nothing wrt how it has performed post-upgrade. Not saying it is wrong, but since it has little support amongst guidance, you have to take it with a grain of salt. The euro also has struggled in the past wrt the pj during Nina years. Methinks the Euro just isn't having a good run this season. Now if the GFS jump on board, then I might come off the sidelines. Until then people should keep their expectations in check. Of course if you pop into a different subforum you will probably be told how great the euro has been and that the eps agree so la la lock it in. Not so fast on that.

1 hour ago, Violentweatherfan said:

A map that is 10 days out yeah. Will it verify, probably not. Single digits(+0) is more realistic. The coldest it has ever gotten here was -12F in 1984(?) bucks county.

Plus I think the all-time low in the city (Philly) is -11F in 1934.

Top of Page Feb 9

The temperature at PHL bottomed out at -11 degrees , the lowest Feb, and lowest
ever, reading since official records began in 1870. (PHL)

https://www.weather.gov/phi/hist_phi

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

OMG cold

coldddddddddd.png

I blame you guys for me doing this...  Edit to add that the Euro would get close to the GFS IF those listed temps were (accidentally) generated/reported in C vs F. :lol:

floop-gfs-2022011712.sfct.conus-01172022.gif

I like the set up for this weekend storm. As always, Kuchera maps are clown maps but whatever floats people's boat I guess. I think by 0Z going into Weds if everything is lined up, go ahead and start the thread folks. Best chance of the season for the snow fans here more than likely.

-RSC

• Weenie 1

Here's an interesting stat that NWS State College had tweeted (retweeted by Mt. Holly) - high of 51 at KPHL just after 3 am this morning -

FJUMr00UUAAkOuK.jpg

And they had the plot of data going back to the airport's operational data from January 1941 to date. :o  I know we have these types of warmups like this in winter ahead of a cold blast but I guess the timing of this one was highly unusual.

Also Mt. Holly extended the Wind Advisory to 1 am as apparently D.C. has been getting gusts down that way as the storm pulls away and a high to the SW builds in, with that gradient apparently shifting this way.

Currently on and off snow showers and I actually have a dusting on some of the colder surfaces (grass and some car tops) and 35 with dp 26.

radar29-01172022.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Here's an interesting stat that NWS State College had tweeted (retweeted by Mt. Holly) - high of 51 at KPHL just after 3 am this morning -

FJUMr00UUAAkOuK.jpg

And they had the plot of data going back to the airport's operational data from January 1941 to date. :o  I know we have these types of warmups like this in winter ahead of a cold blast but I guess the timing of this one was highly unusual.

Also Mt. Holly extended the Wind Advisory to 1 am as apparently D.C. has been getting gusts down that way as the storm pulls away and a high to the SW builds in, with that gradient apparently shifting this way.

Currently on and off snow showers and I actually have a dusting on some of the colder surfaces (grass and some car tops) and 35 with dp 26.

radar29-01172022.png

Likewise, had a dusting on the grass a couple hours ago. Currently 34 here but the ground is already freezing up from the leftover cold beneath.

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Maybe a small 1-2" event w/a cold front moving through Thursday night into Friday? First things first before the weekend....

32F 

NAM has been on this for a few runs now and the GFS just came around. Would be nice to keep some snowpack on the ground if the big one is going to happen this weekend.

1 minute ago, LVblizzard said:

NAM has been on this for a few runs now and the GFS just came around. Would be nice to keep some snowpack on the ground if the big one is going to happen this weekend.

I think it may be a cool late night/overnight event with winds and highs only in the 20s Friday...gotta take what we can get.

31F