Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

19 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

If only!! Hey the big ones are sniffed out early right? Right?! Merry Christmas 

This setup coming in 7-14+ days reminds me of 2010 and 2016. Still thinking at some point the chances for a larger storm are increased this JFM. We see what the base state has been with high lat atl blocking and a near-stationary block in the N PAC. STJ has had some waves riding thru so I wouldn't rule out this links up with the PJ once or twice in our favor. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

This setup coming in 7-14+ days reminds me of 2010 and 2016. Still thinking at some point the chances for a larger storm are increased this JFM. We see what the base state has been with high lat atl blocking and a near-stationary block in the N PAC. STJ has had some waves riding thru so I wouldn't rule out this links up with the PJ once or twice in our favor. 

Thank you, your expert analysis is always appreciated ... wait, are you an expert?

• Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I agree. Pattern shown in the next 2 weeks could very well produce a bomb from philly to Boston,  heck maybe even DC. Hopefully it sticks through the weekend than we'll know if it has legs.  

7 hours ago, LVwxHistorian said:

That's exactly what happened in 93-94, virtually nothing through December, coating on Xmas, then WHAM 75"!!    At least here in the LV, not so great in Phila.

PS thanks so much for fixing your tagline, though I liked JAn 2016 data.  And I was confused by your new one till I looked it up, lol!

That was the awful season of the ice storms - I recall counting 17 in all.  The entire tri-state area had run out of salt - both road salt and consumer halite.  They eventually had convoys coming down from NY to provide some for the road crews.  People were down to putting sand (if they had  any) or kitty litter out.  I actually had to go on a work trip to Baltimore (via Amtrak) during one of them and drove to 30th St. Station (parked there for a few days) literally just as the latest storm was underway.  I was about to go on the Schuylkill Expressway to eventually get to 30th St. figuring PennDOT would be keeping that cleared but decided to go past it instead and took one of the river drives into the city.  Thankfully I did because they eventually closed the Expressway and people were trapped there for at least 8 hours. :axe:    When I finally got to Baltimore, I was able to find a couple bags of salt and brought them back with me in my suitcase for my mom.  She ended up being the only one on her block the rest of the winter with her sidewalk clear and dry to the pavement. :thumbsup:

Currently partly cloudy out and 40 with dp that has gradually crept up to 36.

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol - or maybe they'd come over! Merry Christmas.

Same to you. Merry Christmas!

My neighbors are quite religious...ehh, I probably don't want to deal w/it. 

Rather watch the video/audio fireplace w/acoustic tunes throughout my place w/chromecast...super mellow. 

36F

• Like 1

giphy.gif

I finally decided to watch the above movie for the first time last week and LOL'd at the plot of a pair of former WW2 buddies who became big time entertainers after the war and ended up meeting and following a pair of sisters (also performers) who were heading to a Vermont Ski Lodge (later found to have been owned by the guys' old WW2 CO) right before Christmas for their next engagement. Upon arrival, they all thought they had boarded the wrong train (musing about whether they were in North Carolina instead) because there wasn't a flake of snow anywhere in the area.  In Vermont. In late December. :huh:

White-Christmas-Columbia-Inn-Ski-Lodge-S

The laments sounded like those here, although for Vermont, that would have been a righteous outrage. :lol:

It did eventually snow right on queue.

4a24b80c38ec0554493833d1c8e7f308.jpg

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and winter holiday.

Currently light rain and 41 with dp 40.

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

giphy.gif

I finally decided to watch the above movie for the first time last week and LOL'd at the plot of a pair of former WW2 buddies who became big time entertainers after the war and ended up meeting and following a pair of sisters (also performers) who were heading to a Vermont Ski Lodge (later found to have been owned by the guys' old WW2 CO) right before Christmas for their next engagement. Upon arrival, they all thought they had boarded the wrong train (musing about whether they were in North Carolina instead) because there wasn't a flake of snow anywhere in the area.  In Vermont. In late December. :huh:

White-Christmas-Columbia-Inn-Ski-Lodge-S

The laments sounded like those here, although for Vermont, that would have been a righteous outrage. :lol:

It did eventually snow right on queue.

4a24b80c38ec0554493833d1c8e7f308.jpg

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and winter holiday.

Currently light rain and 41 with dp 40.

Chick flick all the way lol 

Never seen it  

Allentown snow December 1976 

16 T

17 T

20 T

21 T

23 T

25 1.4"

26 2.2"

27 .5"

28 1.5"

29 T

New Years day T

The amounts are light but what a time with snow in the air for the holidays

Mildest day after the 20th was 38F on the 23rd 

January that followed was 11.5F below normal 

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Allentown snow December 1976 

16 T

17 T

20 T

21 T

23 T

25 1.4"

26 2.2"

27 .5"

28 1.5"

29 T

New Years day T

The amounts are light but what a time with snow in the air for the holidays

Mildest day after the 20th was 38F on the 23rd 

January that followed was 11.5F below normal 

Why did you choose this month?  And JAN 77 was coldest JAN ever -- 18.6 mean

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, LVwxHistorian said:

Why did you choose this month?  And JAN 77 was coldest JAN ever -- 18.6 mean

I'll chime in again (lol), but maybe it was because it's Christmas and snow on or around this time is something many of us like a lot, and don't see too often. I imagine RedSky longingly looking at past Christmas snows and coming across 1976. Probably something else though, haha.

If 1993-94 was the ice winter, 76-77 was the cold winter. We skated on ponds before Christmas that year. I remember thinking what a waste of cold weather, it had been below freezing most days since Thanksgiving. It finally snowed Christmas night here, about 2 inches or so starting in the late evening. It was cold and the snow was real dry, not heavy, but just floating down. It was a beautiful sight! And yeah January was colder. I think they had an icebreaker come up the Delaware.

17 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I'll chime in again (lol), but maybe it was because it's Christmas and snow on or around this time is something many of us like a lot, and don't see too often. I imagine RedSky longingly looking at past Christmas snows and coming across 1976. Probably something else though, haha.

If 1993-94 was the ice winter, 76-77 was the cold winter. We skated on ponds before Christmas that year. I remember thinking what a waste of cold weather, it had been below freezing most days since Thanksgiving. It finally snowed Christmas night here, about 2 inches or so starting in the late evening. It was cold and the snow was real dry, not heavy, but just floating down. It was a beautiful sight! And yeah January was colder. I think they had an icebreaker come up the Delaware.

BINGO

51 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Makes since, just didn't think Red Sky was that old -- that was my first winter on Earth!

6 hours ago, RedSky said:

Chick flick all the way lol 

Never seen it  

Ehh... it was a typical Bing Crosby WW2 musical thing.  They contrive a plot with buddies who are performers who eventually attempt to revive/open an entertainment venue.  It was a nod to Crosby's "Holiday Inn" (which released 12 years earlier), where the songs "White Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" actually debuted.

Some of the quips in the movie reminded me of our little group though, including one where Crosby saunters up to the lodge desk clerk and starts a conversation with "We came up here for the snow. Where're you keeping it?" and she replies "Well we take it in during the day".   :lol:

41 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Ugggghhh... and I was on SEPTA to get to/from high school and living here with the hilly streets meant either no buses showed up and/or showed up but were packed to the point that people were smashed against the doors and it had to bypass my stop and/or we would have to get off and walk up to the top of hills along the route, and then get back on once there because the bus couldn't make it without sliding back down. :axe:

That was the year of the glacial streets and walks. I know our ice chopper got much use and the station wagon had to use chains a few times.

The temps here have been wavering with the warm front and have gone up and down (high for the day appears to have been 54, assuming the non-diurnal warming is done for now) and am currently getting a round 2 of very light, with temp at 52 and dp 50.  Picked up 0.05" earlier and am now up to 0.07 with this latest round.

18 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Only reason I remember it is because that was the year we got snow days for being too cold for school.

'Nuff said!  The above is an excellent news summary (and obviously PR piece from PGW) about that winter.  :lol:

The year of the long johns too and where wool sweaters/socks and puffy down coats and vests became a thing. I remember after that and the next couple winters, we ended up getting a kerosene heater (and had found a gas station not too far away that sold kerosene).

• Like 1

Today's High Temperature of 56.6 was the 10th warmest Christmas Day in Chester County PA weather history with the warmest high temp being the 66.7 back on Christmas Day of 2015. The coldest Christmas Day here in Chester County since records began back in 1894 was Christmas Day in 1983 with a high temperature of only 6 degrees above zero and a low temp of 3 degrees below zero

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:
Today's High Temperature of 56.6 was the 10th warmest Christmas Day in Chester County PA weather history with the warmest high temp being the 66.7 back on Christmas Day of 2015. The coldest Christmas Day here in Chester County since records began back in 1894 was Christmas Day in 1983 with a high temperature of only 6 degrees above zero and a low temp of 3 degrees below zero

We should probably be suspect of Gordon's temp. records too, no?!   Lol!!

• Weenie 1