Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2021

George BM

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

What I find most fascinating about this community is watching the evolution of the site. When I first joined the group in 2003 it was a bunch of nerds hoping and wishing for snow and making fun of each other and a handful of experts (actual experts) giving analysis. Today it has morphed into a handful of intuitive posters basically ripping and reading each model run that generally makes them look like flopping fish out of water. I say the site gets renamed "The intuition and gutwx" 

For the record there are some very knowledgeable posters and they definitely know what they are looking at for any particular model run but for our region if you say it's not going to snow or it's hard for it to snow or so many things have to go right for it to snow are you really saying anything? You might as well just be that dude with the two letter name and say winters over 15 times a day until his diaper gets changed.

Good luck all...I hope it snows...my intuition says it won't though. :hurrbear:

Just easier not to pay attention to long range stuff. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, snowfan said:

I don’t know why, but it does appear this sub forum has lost a good number of very good posters in recent years. Perhaps it’s because we’ve been stuck with sucky winters in recent years. I read the New England sub and they def appear to have far more good posters contributing. I’ll duck and see myself out now :)

Folks have said it before, but outward-facing social media (i.e., Twitter and Facebook) that are driven by clicks and follows and shares, and which "prove" the popularity of a given met or hobbyist, have sucked a good many quality posters away from message boards. It also doesn't help that - for the most part - our winter weather simply doesn't produce the goods on a regular enough basis to drive interesting discussion. I'm sure that if we were staring down the barrel of a Modoki Nino with blocking, then this place would light up and a lot of the "old" posters would come back for discussion, but otherwise we're just a place for weather nerds to chat.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

What I find most fascinating about this community is watching the evolution of the site. When I first joined the group in 2003 it was a bunch of nerds hoping and wishing for snow and making fun of each other and a handful of experts (actual experts) giving analysis. Today it has morphed into a handful of intuitive posters basically ripping and reading each model run that generally makes them look like flopping fish out of water. I say the site gets renamed "The intuition and gutwx" 

For the record there are some very knowledgeable posters and they definitely know what they are looking at for any particular model run but for our region if you say it's not going to snow or it's hard for it to snow or so many things have to go right for it to snow are you really saying anything? You might as well just be that dude with the two letter name and say winters over 15 times a day until his diaper gets changed.

Good luck all...I hope it snows...my intuition says it won't though. :hurrbear:

Yup - it's a bit disappointing to see the shift in posting dynamics over the years as some of the most worthy posters moved to the shadows or even stop posting entirely.

I've been here since almost day one and was on Eastern before that going back to 97.  My limited number of posts belies how long I've been here as I humbly endeavor to not clog the mainline threads with nonsense.  My best warble is nowhere near as sophisticated as some others like yourself, PSU, CAPE, Mattie, Randy, Wes and Mr Bob Chill (as a few examples).  Some of the newer members could learn more by posting less.  The LR threads are not about quantity, it's about quality - or should be.  

Since the big one in 2016 there hasn't been much to talk about and it's depressing for snow lowers.  We occasionally get lucky around here with isolated events and the rare alignment of factors like 09/10.  But as a norm, if we're in a situation where everything has to line up perfectly to win, something typically falls off the table so we lose.  That's just how it goes in the MA region.  I love snow just as much as anyone, but have long come to understand the reality of our climate and our chances.     

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RDM said:

Yup - it's a bit disappointing to see the shift in posting dynamics over the years as some of the most worthy posters moved to the shadows or even stop posting entirely.

I've been here since almost day one and was on Eastern before that going back to 97.  My limited number of posts belies how long I've been here as I humbly endeavor to not clog the mainline threads with nonsense.  My best warble is nowhere near as sophisticated as some others like yourself, PSU, CAPE, Mattie, Randy, Wes and Mr Bob Chill (as a few examples).  Some of the newer members could learn more by posting less.  The LR threads are not about quantity, it's about quality - or should be.  

Since the big one in 2016 there hasn't been much to talk about and it's depressing for snow lowers.  We occasionally get lucky around here with isolated events and the rare alignment of factors like 09/10.  But as a norm, if we're in a situation where everything has to line up perfectly to win, something typically falls off the table so we lose.  That's just how it goes in the MA region.  I love snow just as much as anyone, but have long come to understand the reality of our climate and our chances.     

85988587.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Greetings from West Yellowstone!  It’s about 4 degrees and been snowing since we got here on Monday.  Usually just pixies dust, but it add up.  They had 2 feet last Sunday, probably another 4” since.  A true winter wonderland!  Went snowmobiling yesterday in the park, amazing!  This should be on anyones winter bucket list.  Saw bison, a bald Eagle, trumpeter swan and an elusive bobcat!  And of course old faithful!   Cold as F.  With temp about 2 degrees and 35mph on the sled, about -24 windchill all day!  Coldest I have ever been but exhilarating!  Had an awesome post Yellowstone survival dinner with the family, Montana rye Manhattan, elk medallions with a cab reduction and huckleberry bread pudding!   There, I think I have covered all banter topics in one post, little bit of weather, food and drink!  Back to DC on Thursday!  Will try to drag some of this winter weather back with me on my Delta flight!  Happy New Year!

1349EFAC-3845-4802-BA54-639778023F11.jpeg

F9B953F9-3B61-4B7B-AAA2-1E8B655E0BEC.jpeg

EA8747DE-F6FD-42CB-9934-A1F9FF6D8CD2.jpeg

C3ABCB79-8CAD-430E-A63F-1C34E4523D06.jpeg

• Like 25

The disparaging thing about this winter for snow lovers is that we haven’t even been close.  We aren’t even seeing any digital snow within 72 hours.  Every cold push gets delayed or denied .  Atlantic and pacific seem to be partners in never jointly cooperating with us.  I know I will never get snow until other more favored locales score.  So shutout city is in play yet again

29 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

The disparaging thing about this winter for snow lovers is that we haven’t even been close.  We aren’t even seeing any digital snow within 72 hours.  Every cold push gets delayed or denied .  Atlantic and pacific seem to be partners in never jointly cooperating with us.  I know I will never get snow until other more favored locales score.  So shutout city is in play yet again

You know its been a bad start to winter when the mountains are in the single digits heading into January.  That’s historically bad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gopper said:

Really nice pictures!  Thanks for sharing. That last picture is fascinating.  Is it a natural sculpture?  Looks like an old man with a hat.

BTW, you should have considered the "omicron" express for your trip home.  I hear it is a lot less dangerous than "Delta".

LOL, just hoping the flights aren’t cancelled. That last pic is a a pine tree next to a hot spring, frozen encrusted by steam with the snow continually caked on top.  Lovely effects they make.  Here is another example.

9C168141-1D6C-4548-A4A0-FE421FC188E3.jpeg

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Dude, keep the Yellowstone pics coming!  What an epic trip that must be.  

Ok a few more, starting with our last day at Big Sky, had a mini blizzard with white out conditions, then a few shots from west Yellowstone at the Grizzly and Wolf Discover Center which is an awesome place, home for rehabbing wolves and bears that have become habbitualized to humans.

7C98D313-9325-45F5-BCAC-4A8C8DDDE2CA.jpeg

10A08BCE-1FC6-46DE-8EE9-34DB49E56E07.jpeg

C0ECCC18-1EA7-4F42-9075-545F1D7B7583.jpeg

4EB56E95-9E67-4EC0-92CC-EF5D6034AD76.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Ok a few more, starting with our last day at Big Sky, had a mini blizzard with white out conditions, then a few shots from west Yellowstone at the Grizzly and Wolf Discover Center which is an awesome place, home for rehabbing wolves and bears that have become habbitualized to humans.

7C98D313-9325-45F5-BCAC-4A8C8DDDE2CA.jpeg

10A08BCE-1FC6-46DE-8EE9-34DB49E56E07.jpeg

C0ECCC18-1EA7-4F42-9075-545F1D7B7583.jpeg

4EB56E95-9E67-4EC0-92CC-EF5D6034AD76.jpeg

That first pic looks like a scene from The Hateful Eight

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic