Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2021

George BM

10 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah the reaper iconography always kept me out of that thread...lol

But honestly what good did the thread do, though? Certainly didn't help anybody process anything. We're like...facing the loss of something here. The snowstorms we used to be able to track occasionally. It's a change...and accepting a new reality.

I'm mad at the weather, really. It doesn't owe me a thing, but I'm still mad at it, lol At one time it gave some joy during the winter...but now it's just depression. I take no pleasure in warm winter days nor in cold rain. We have 9-10 other months of the year for that. But now we're forced to accept we cannot get bigger snow anymore (or at least not as often--if you can call our previous 3-4 above average winters a decade often, lol)

It will be not that much different than Southern VA or NC, imo.

But this is the new reality we MIGHT be facing...and I for one am having a hard time accepting it and not being ticked off about it whenever I think about it. It literally ruins the mood sometimes, smh

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I know where you're coming from concerning the frustration.  But my post was really only meant to add levity and some humor (since you mentioned the Panic Room).  What good did that thread do?  Who knows...I just found it amusing to laugh at my own and other's despair/frustration when there was a lack of snow or an otherwise sh*tty winter.  I'm sure most everyone who posted in there had the same idea.  Does that change anything?  Of course not!  But screw it, I like to keep a sense of humor regardless and I have a lot more concerns than whether it will be 60 degrees on Christmas.

We obviously have no control over any of this except how we deal with it personally.  Though to be sure, that doesn't necessarily make it any easier.  If it's going to be a warm (and relatively snowless) winter,  it would at least be nice to get rid of all the remaining gnats/mosquitos that I still see flying around here!

Biased here but the annual thread had many uses:

1) It attempted to separate the frequent useless complaining posts from the discussion threads.

2) It was a literal coping mechanism. It allowed for winter lovers to use creativity to express their displeasure at how things were going. Whether it was funny posts, gifs, poetry, whatever, it allowed some to turn their frustration into something that added humor, and in doing so, value, to people that couldn’t complain to others close to them. 

3) For me at least, it allowed a platform to satirize the utterly irrational veneration of winter. That’s not a judgment against anyone—because very few of us would be here if we didn’t hold wx in extremely high regard.

There’s a reason it lasted a half decade and now has offshoots in other forums. In the end, I do think it helped people, even if they didn’t realize it in the moment.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Biased here but the annual thread had many uses:

1) It attempted to separate the frequent useless complaining posts from the discussion threads.

2) It was a literal coping mechanism. It allowed for winter lovers to use creativity to express their displeasure at how things were going. Whether it was funny posts, gifs, poetry, whatever, it allowed some to turn their frustration into something that added humor, and in doing so, value, to people that couldn’t complain to others close to them. 

3) For me at least, it allowed a platform to satirize the utterly irrational veneration of winter. That’s not a judgment against anyone—because very few of us would be here if we didn’t hold wx in extremely high regard.

This pretty well sums it up what I was thinking, too...thanks!

10 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

There’s a reason it lasted a half decade and now has offshoots in other forums. In the end, I do think it helped people, even if they didn’t realize it in the moment.

I sure hope you are still collecting royalties for all the spinoffs!  Gotta fund that retirement somehow...

102 Money Skeleton Hand Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from  Dreamstime

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

While stretching this morning, I watched a fascinating documentary called the Storm of the Century: the Blizzard of 1949 by Wyoming PBS - a must watch if you love snow

Where can I watch this? As a sidebar, 1993 was the storm of the century in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

It is on that tube of U thing, I watched it about 2 weeks ago. Type 1949 Wyoming blizzard and it should show up.

Yes it showed up on my YouTube feed.  Hard to beat the 1993 storm in this area - didn't quite get to a foot of snow but being able to walk across the backyard on top of the snow/sleet drifts made up for it

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Merry Christmas from Longwood Gardens 

29663284-8254-4B10-A81B-E138ED5262CC.jpeg

I’m going Monday!

52 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Well I’ve had Covid for the last week+…with symptoms (loss of taste and smell being one). Taste and smell is finally coming back so enjoying a Key Brewing Siberian Summer (barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout at 10%). Happy Holidays all

Glad you’re on the mend!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baltimorewx said:

Well I’ve had Covid for the last week+…with symptoms (loss of taste and smell being one). Taste and smell is finally coming back so enjoying a Key Brewing Siberian Summer (barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout at 10%). Happy Holidays all

Glad to hear that friend! Thanks for holding down the fort at work today while the rest of us were out :lol:

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic