Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Teal lake Negaunee in an ice shanty, 15 degrees with moderate snow. Doesn’t get much better. 
185DA9A7-A26C-476E-A43E-4D383D9AAD66.thumb.jpeg.69372aeaee967cece10b2a185deabee4.jpeg

Idk how you guys can do that. Must be some seriously solid ice. I tried walking on Devils Lake last January and saw people in the middle and assumed it was safe. Damn ice started cracking and distorting about 300 yards from shore, turned around and tip toed my way back, scariest few minutes I’ve experienced 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Scorpion said:

Idk how you guys can do that. Must be some seriously solid ice. I tried walking on Devils Lake last January and saw people in the middle and assumed it was safe. Damn ice started cracking and distorting about 300 yards from shore, turned around and tip toed my way back, scariest few minutes I’ve experienced 

Early in the season it's a gamble.  I've fallen through ice up to my waist once before so I try to stay in shallow waters until it's thick.  Today the ice is 12".

Same lake and almost the same spot late last January. Ice was probably 30".

1287672951_thumbnail(5).thumb.jpg.0171872e06a66f2cdaca93ab171577ca.jpg

35 minutes ago, Stebo said:

What do you usually catch there, I passed by that lake so many times I have always been curious.

Up until 1998 Teal Lake was used as Negaunee’s main source for drinking water and wasn’t allowed to be fished or  used recreationally. 
Now it’s open to non motorized water craft only - to keep pollutants down I assume. It’s a really fun lake to fish because something is always biting, although I’d say smallmouth bass are probably the most prevalent species but there’s plenty of N pike, perch, walleye, and some muskies as well. I notice a lot of people don’t care for bass but I do. It’s third only to perch and walleye as my favorite to eat, which is why I fish there so much especially in the winter even tho it’s a 25 min drive.  Mostly tho I just catch and release.

A little over 3” fell here at the house today with another inch or two later this evening, temp back down into the low-teens with gusty northwest winds increasing.

9 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Up until 1998 Teal Lake was used as Negaunee’s main source for drinking water and wasn’t allowed to be fished or  used recreationally. 
Now it’s open to non motorized water craft only - to keep pollutants down I assume. It’s a really fun lake to fish because something is always biting, although I’d say smallmouth bass are probably the most prevalent species but there’s plenty of N pike, perch, walleye, and some muskies as well. I notice a lot of people don’t care for bass but I do. It’s third only to perch and walleye as my favorite to eat, which is why I fish there so much especially in the winter even tho it’s a 25 min drive.  Mostly tho I just catch and release.

A little over 3” fell here at the house today with another inch or two later this evening, temp back down into the low-teens with gusty northwest winds increasing.

A lake like that with no pollutants the bass are probably fine to eat unless its a huge one. Perch and walleye are fantastic tho.

• Like 1

Just now, Stebo said:

A lake like that with no pollutants the bass are probably fine to eat unless its a huge one. Perch and walleye are fantastic tho.

Yep and I hardly ever keep the big daddies of any species. They’re most important in keeping the lake healthy and balanced and usually taste like crap compared to the smaller ones anyway. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Cold and windy tonight with light snow showers and 13 degrees.  Expecting 4-5" here by Wednesday morning.  Nice wintry feel.

Ice fishing in full swing.

Hey, Bo! What's your snow depth up there right now? I'm guessing less than usual, but still plenty for it to look and feel like winter?

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, Bo! What's your snow depth up there right now? I'm guessing less than usual, but still plenty for it to look and feel like winter?

Hey, Matt! Depth is right about a foot, with 6 inches of powder on top of 6 inches of frozen hard pack.  I had a snow depth of 2 feet for a short while 10 days ago.  Lots of winter to go.

When are you ditching the east coast and heading back this way?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherbo said:

Hey, Matt! Depth is right about a foot, with 6 inches of powder on top of 6 inches of frozen hard pack.  I had a snow depth of 2 feet for a short while 10 days ago.  Lots of winter to go.

When are you ditching the east coast and heading back this way?

Nice! You guys must have had a decent thaw to lose a foot of snow. I know I looked at Gaylord's posts and the webcams there and it looked like they lost almost all the lake effect snow they got a couple weeks ago.

The wife and I miss Michigan terribly...we were back in West Michigan this summer for a week and a half and didn't realize how much we missed it until we were back. The natural beauty and state parks of Michigan...such a treasure and under-rated. We also loved the "Michigan goodbyes" where it takes a half hour to hours to actually leave...lol. So laid back. That rarely happens over here. Perhaps when our families on the east coast (sad thought) pass away, we will come back. The wife refuses to move any more north though. :) 

You might need to start an inn at your place for all the snow-starved weenies of the Midwest and Northeast this winter...let me know when you open. :P 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Nice! You guys must have had a decent thaw to lose a foot of snow. I know I looked at Gaylord's posts and the webcams there and it looked like they lost almost all the lake effect snow they got a couple weeks ago.

The wife and I miss Michigan terribly...we were back in West Michigan this summer for a week and a half and didn't realize how much we missed it until we were back. The natural beauty and state parks of Michigan...such a treasure and under-rated. We also loved the "Michigan goodbyes" where it takes a half hour to hours to actually leave...lol. So laid back. That rarely happens over here. Perhaps when our families on the east coast (sad thought) pass away, we will come back. The wife refuses to move any more north though. :) 

You might need to start an inn at your place for all the snow-starved weenies of the Midwest and Northeast this winter...let me know when you open. :P 

A three day thaw with the last 24 hours having dews and temps in the low-mid 40's, sadly... and a third of an inch of rain.  It was depressing.

You never know where the road will take you. Too bad you weren't in the Tug longer, but even their winters have paled in comparison to avg.

You can be guest number 1 but keep chipping away at the wife anyway, she'll relent one day.  :lol: 

• Haha 1

Location location location...

Meso low sliding just offshore east of here ended up bringing in heavier than anticipated le bands overnight where several more inches fell. I'd estimate a total of 7" from clipper/LE.

1561606595_sfav2_CONUS_48h_2021122212(1).jpg.8c4a6e738bcfd73a086a52bdb5c87588.jpg

24 hr totals

PDGM4 : Paulding        : DH0640/ 19/   6/  0.20/    M/  2.2/    5
:Houghton County
PDLM4 : Painesdale      : DHM   /  M/   M/     M/    M/ 11.2/   22
JCBM4 : Jacobsville     : DH0700/ 22/   9/  0.37/    M/  4.1/    6
KSGM4 : Kearsarge       : DH0800/ 19/   8/  0.34/  1.0/  7.0/   12
QNCM4 : Hancock         : DH0900/  M/   M/  0.33/    M/  5.8/   13
HERM4 : Herman          : DH0800/ 15/   8/  0.42/    M/  8.0/   18
WTNM4 : Watton          : DH0800/ 15/   7/  0.20/    M/  3.0/    6
MIEM4 : Michigamme 3WNW : DH0800/  M/   M/  0.28/    M/  4.3/    6
CLKM4 : Champion 6E     : DH0700/ 17/   8/  0.36/    M/  4.0/   10
MQT   : NWS Marquette   : DH0700/ 18/   9/  0.34/  2.8/  5.5/    7
HRVM4 : Harvey          : DH0800/  M/   M/  0.29/    M/  2.8/    4
AROM4 : Arnold 2N       : DH0800/  M/   M/  0.30/    M/  4.5/    5
MNSM4 : Munising        : DH0700/ 32/  15/  0.45/    M/  6.0/   17
CEFM4 : Chatham Exp Farm: DH0800/ 22/  12/  0.28/    M/  5.0/    4
GMSM4 : Grand Marais 10S: DH0700/  M/   M/  0.54/    M/  9.0/   24
ESAM4 : Escanaba WFP    : DH0700/  M/   M/  0.15/    M/  3.0/    3
GLDM4 : Gladstone       : DH0700/  M/   M/  0.28/    M/  3.7/    6
GDCM4 : Garden Corners  : DH0800/ 30/  12/  0.26/    M/  4.9/    5
MTQM4 : Manistique WWTP : DH0700/ 29/  12/  0.28/    M/  6.0/    8
:Luce County
NCFM4 : Newberry-LCRC   : DH0800/ 23/  15/  0.25/    M/  4.6/    5
.END

• Like 4

10 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

They got last winter. It's our turn

Actually they only beat Detroit by 3.9" last year. And we both had excellent February's, there's was just epic. Since Detroit averages about 7" or so more than Chicago, Detroit will usually beat them. In the past 20 years, Chicago has won the snow race just 6 times (2003-04, 2006-07, 2009-10, 2014-15, 2018-19, 2020-21). 

The lake effect kicked in pretty good for some of the snow belts in northern MI last night. Just looking at the camera we have up at our place at Higgins it looks like a 3-4 inch snowfall and it’s still snowing pretty hard. Not sure what the weather is going to do up there moving forward, sounds like more light snow off and on till Friday night when it could be a wintery mix till Christmas Day then cooler air should move in and more snow should start to pile up. Should make for a interesting week or so of weather hopefully.

AB8BC164-4692-462E-9E90-A6A2A5B5843C.jpeg

• Like 5

^ As bad as that map is, it's actually understating the warmth...because DJF normal temps are so much higher now vs. 30 years ago. 

If you used 1961-1990 normals (which were 4F colder than 1991-2020 in Chicago, as an example), the map would look even more hideous.

Back to my "time out" - I got so anxious and frustrated about this pattern, I had to step away for awhile. Not good for mental health.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

^ As bad as that map is, it's actually understating the warmth...because DJF normal temps are so much higher now vs. 30 years ago. 

If you used 1961-1990 normals (which were 4F colder than 1991-2020 in Chicago, as an example), the map would look even more hideous.

Back to my "time out" - I got so anxious and frustrated about this pattern, I had to step away for awhile. Not good for mental health.

Chicago's 1961-90 normals, which was the coldest 30 year period on record in chicago, are 2゚colder than 1991-2020, at least using the raw data, not 4°.

Regardless, after a snowy Thanksgivimg weekend here December was trash. Here's hoping the long range models are right for a wintry January.

9 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Chicago's 1961-90 normals, which was the coldest 30 year period on record in chicago, are 2゚colder than 1991-2020, at least using the raw data, not 4°.

Regardless, after a snowy Thanksgivimg weekend here December was trash. Here's hoping the long range models are right for a wintry January.

Less snow in December than November in lower MI.