Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

10 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

I live about a mile north of 696 and it’s been moderate sleet this whole time. Constant pingers hitting the window as I type. Sad, but not surprised this happened. Despite modeled p-type maps showing all snow, skew-T plots told a different story. Was right on the border of it being sleet or snow, and any north trend or stronger WAA would mean sleet. Guess it means a top 5 least snowy December is still in play for DTW. 

2C25E61E-2F54-4894-8D87-FF530C0F3071.jpeg

Bummer. I live at 16 and hayes and was a mix of snow and pingers. Just 5 miles north it was all snow. The dividing line always seems to end up in the same area. Easily an inch or 2 already with the band stalling overhead. Could be a interesting overachiever in central oakland/macomb.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Bummer. I live at 16 and hayes and was a mix of snow and pingers. Just 5 miles north it was all snow. The dividing line always seems to end up in the same area. Easily an inch or 2 already with the band stalling overhead. Could be a interesting overachiever in central oakland/macomb.

Wouldn’t be surprised if some areas get 3-4” where the band sets up the best. Sucks that this is all sleet here. Going back to bed because this is a snoozefest 

17 minutes ago, Baum said:

The fact Michiganders are having a back and forth over 1" wet snow event in mid December might say more about the futility were in versus the ORD record.

"Back and forth over a 2-4" event". Dont get too frustrated. While were at our average, its taken over 16 hours to get that 4-6 total snow we've seen this winter. You're not missing much. We will all cash in soon and my gut is telling me there will be a few big dogs to come soon, probably more to our north and west here in SE MI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MIstorm97 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if some areas get 3-4” where the band sets up the best. Sucks that this is all sleet here. Going back to bed because this is a snoozefest 

2.5 inches here. Looks like we'll end up with about 4 when its all said and done here in Shelby. At least you're not missing a big dog. I was hoping we'd get one here in december as I'm making the drive south for Florida next week for the next 3 months. I suppose the weenie in me could catch a flight home if a big dog looks likely.

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

2.5 inches here. Looks like we'll end up with about 4 when its all said and done here in Shelby. At least you're not missing a big dog. I was hoping we'd get one here in december as I'm making the drive south for Florida next week for the next 3 months. I suppose the weenie in me could catch a flight home if a big dog looks likely.

I agree, many areas in our area are nearly average for snowfall so far this season but this morning was the first time I’ve plowed the driveway this season, the previous times we’ve received a grass covering snow down here in the thumb it’s melted of the asphalt drives in a day or less. Without any rain and the low sun angle right now I feel some of the snow we received around here this morning has a “chance” of sticking around this week.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 11:57 PM, Chicago Storm said:

just another stat, and remember… nothing abnormal about it.

20def2f4c53756cff593022615fbc1e6.jpg

5 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

I live about a mile north of 696 and it’s been moderate sleet this whole time. Constant pingers hitting the window as I type. Sad, but not surprised this happened. Despite modeled p-type maps showing all snow, skew-T plots told a different story. Was right on the border of it being sleet or snow, and any north trend or stronger WAA would mean sleet. Guess it means a top 5 least snowy December is still in play for DTW. 

2C25E61E-2F54-4894-8D87-FF530C0F3071.jpeg

32F and light ZR on elevated surf's and trees in Canton/Plymouth area. Some SR maps were teasing me with 1-2" shown last night. WAA for the win (loss) bumping the boundary "just" north. UHI also not helping in this lame ass cold regime. Oh well, glad somebody in SEMI got a nice holiday present out of this. 

1 hour ago, Up_north_MI said:

I agree, many areas in our area are nearly average for snowfall so far this season but this morning was the first time I’ve plowed the driveway this season, the previous times we’ve received a grass covering snow down here in the thumb it’s melted of the asphalt drives in a day or less. Without any rain and the low sun angle right now I feel some of the snow we received around here this morning has a “chance” of sticking around this week.

If plows are out, you should at least have piles survive. Road crews worked 2 of the 3 Nov clippers down my way, but with all the torching, the last plow pile I saw was this past Sunday. It's a Nina, active but not known for staying power. Just ask Gaylord how that's gone for them. Heck, I think even the Keweenaw has seen it come and go so far.

Got the kitchen sink here but only a trace of snow sleet accumulation. Wasn't really expecting much but had hoped for at least some white. Season sits at 7.1", of which 6.6" fell in Nov. DTW is at 7.7", of which 7.1" fell in Nov.  Still plenty of December left, especially with a post Christmas pattern change looming, but if we end up with more snow in November than December, that will be the 5th time in the past 8 years that has happened.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

32F and light ZR on elevated surf's and trees in Canton/Plymouth area. Some SR maps were teasing me with 1-2" shown last night. WAA for the win (loss) bumping the boundary "just" north. UHI also not helping in this lame ass cold regime. Oh well, glad somebody in SEMI got a nice holiday present out of this. 

That 0.5" of sleet and snow sure was a big holiday present :lmao: Can pretty much toss the rest of the month too

• Sad 1