• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

We need precip, I don't really care what form it takes at the moment however that will become more important later. The Midwest has been flirting with if not solidly in drought for most of 2021, and the surest way to set the table for a bad one is a dry winter lacking the usual snowpack melt-off in the spring (see: 2011-12).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

We need precip, I don't really care what form it takes at the moment however that will become more important later. The Midwest has been flirting with if not solidly in drought for most of 2021, and the surest way to set the table for a bad one is a dry winter lacking the usual snowpack melt-off in the spring (see: 2011-12).

Oddly, at times it's been waayy too wet here this autumn, and plenty moist (surely not a drought) as we turn the corner into winter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The look and feel of recent Decembers around here has been virtually indistinguishable from Tennessee.  Hopefully we can improve upon that.

Pretty soon we'll be considered subtropical here in Columbus while the northern flank of the sub will be relegated to making 50 page threads tracking flurries and graupel.   

I'm just glad this didn't happen 30 years ago when I was in peak weenie form.   Actually smiled a bit when I saw those cfs maps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, buckeye said:

Pretty soon we'll be considered subtropical here in Columbus while the northern flank of the sub will be relegated to making 50 page threads tracking flurries and graupel.   

I'm just glad this didn't happen 30 years ago when I was in peak weenie form.   Actually smiled a bit when I saw those cfs maps.

1990s Decembers sucked here lol although of course I know your post was partially in jest. I cannot figure out why we have no problem lately getting unusually early snows, unusually late snow is, weenie heaven February's but December is often meh. But actually it would not be wise to write-off this December, the weeklies for the most part looked good.

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

But actually it would not be wise to write-off this December, the weeklies for the most part looked good.

The Euro weeklies have not handled things very well this month, as they have been too cold and snowy for much of the sub-forum in their medium to long range. (The exception being northern sub-form in parts of MN/WI/MI, where things have panned out). The CFS has had its share of significant issues handling things as well.

Looks like I, and a handful of others will be busy posting snow totals for the next couple weeks. A solid 6" hit possible this weekend with a strong clipper system diving into the N Plains, and heading westward. I have a parade of systems (weak/strong) on the boards for the month from my own modelling method. As I mentioned weeks ago, "onward to an active, and at times, bitter winter".

11 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Looks like I, and a handful of others will be busy posting snow totals for the next couple weeks. A solid 6" hit possible this weekend with a strong clipper system diving into the N Plains, and heading westward. I have a parade of systems (weak/strong) on the boards for the month from my own modelling method. As I mentioned weeks ago, "onward to an active, and at times, bitter winter".

It's been snowing fairly regular over this way.  Season total around 2 feet so far with 7-8" otg.  Biggest "storm" was 10" back on Nov 13th-14th... coldest temp so far has been 4 degrees on the 23rd.  Winter has set in.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

It's been snowing fairly regular over this way.  Season total around 2 feet so far with 7-8" otg.  Biggest "storm" was 10" back on Nov 13th-14th... coldest temp so far has been 4 degrees on the 23rd.  Winter has set in.

It's looking quite good for your region over the next week+.

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

35 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

In the beginning stages of having a poll barn built so I can count on all of that snow and then some, I'm sure.  :lol: 

Where the heck have YOU been? I have really been jonesing for some UP reports/pics. Glad to see you're still around.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1