• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021

MJO812

Number one rule about science… Leave your personal biases at the door and look at the data only. Climatology matters as well. Much of Canada and the arctic is also will above normal for this time of year as well right now. I do think the second half of winter will produce some. My initial call in November was for slightly above normal temperatures and near normal snowfall. I now think we will be firmly above normal considered 1/3 of met winter will have been a torch, but I still think we get close to normal snowfall (albeit I  must admit I am nervous).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes a December signal is so strong, that the models correctly see it from months away. The Euro seasonal back in October had this very amplified Aleutians Ridge, -PNA, and SE Ridge pattern. But even for a La Niña, this will be our first with close to 3 sigma block centered just south of the Aleutians in December.

December verification so far

D6D6B467-BF2D-42A7-87AC-53BE63E6A1F3.gif.6503e93f6d1faf8f5770699028af333f.gif

October Euro seasonal forecast 

809E2853-CA19-49FC-BC4F-25170929B7B7.png.1c5f6247589d8b98d8337d13fa68b5af.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The pattern is just stuck from the end of December into early January. Seattle and Montana are going to be icicles as the tpv moves over head 

Thats some serious cold out west. Pretty remarkable after the mega heat ridge over the summer. 

I expect some record cold & snows for those areas. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Thats some serious cold out west. Pretty remarkable after the mega heat ridge over the summer. 

I expect some record cold & snows for those areas. 

The record WPAC warm pool has turned into an extreme Rossby wave  generating machine. Last summer it was the record ridge and heatwave over the PACNW. This month the record ridge is centered south of the Aleutians. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The record WPAC warm pool has turned into an extreme Rossby Wave generating machine. Last summer it was the record ridge and heatwave over the PACNW. This month the record ridge is centered south of the Aleutians.

Need to shove that east and re-establish "the blob."  We're really missing it!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Need to shove that east and re-establish "the blob."  We're really missing it!

Maybe we need another El Niño to change up the winter North Pacific pattern. The Super El Niño in 15-16 shifted the ridge axis west. It had been further east in 13-14 and 14-15. But the common denominator seems to be the record WPAC warm pool generating these giant stationary waves .

56753738-FA7C-4AFC-81E3-26B2F1208115.png.6c0135b0ffc01a3aea3908cdd4c47a8e.png

BC8E7283-94B7-42CF-93F7-0876ADF60E25.png.c1c96731435bd5c1b40af2890a20f81e.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluewave said:

Models continue in push back mode. The forecast colder pattern near the end of December is now warmer than the old run. This is the same thing that happened for Christmas from a week ago. It’s one of the problems with such a strong -PNA pattern.

New run

8175434C-29EF-4858-AE8B-ED069A22535A.thumb.png.00a6b9cd2ba66648eb110b3cb07265ee.png

Old run

693650B3-5417-49A5-A182-D95D9D34B59A.thumb.png.582123b649849acd47d7822de18ef5c6.png

No surprise there. The problem is the record PAC jet, severe -PNA and actually the -NAO block, it’s shearing everything to bits. This is going to continue unabated right through the 1st week of January, at the very least: 

Look how ridiculously dry The extended EPS is for the next 46 days:  

8 hours ago, EasternLI said:

IMO, it's this area of persistent convection north of Australia causing this persistent -PNA. So you would want some subsidence to push east from the Indian Ocean to tamp that down somewhat as the mjo moves east. That's what was happening on some of the better ensemble (eps & gefs) runs last week. Not so much currently. This is also a piece of the la Niña base state. So it's definitely a challenging proposition, especially with very warm water in this area. Just wanted to point that out for those wondering why that -PNA is there in the first place. 

1762037316_abpwsair(1).thumb.jpg.39208aa935f6757ad5cd23efab5854c6.jpg

Nice post. I know you warned about it before and have been very fair….but some people have to have to face the fact that the MJO may never makes it in to phase 8. I stated my reasoning for thinking it doesn’t a few times and you were very objective about it. You also don’t want to see IO convection start firing in mid-January, something some models are showing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Nice post. I know you warned about it before and have been very fair….but some people have to have the fact that the MJO may never makes it in to phase 8. I stated my reasoning for thinking it doesn’t a few times and you were very objective about it. You also don’t want to see IO convection start firing in mid-January, something some models are showing 

Thanks for the kind words. I'm on the search for a good pattern. However, I'm not going to let that cloud my judgment. That's pointless to me. All of your reasoning has merit. You bring up good points often. The only issue is the abrasive delivery at times. But it's all good. You're right, we don't really want to see that. That would end up +AO and with that Pacific that would be that.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm on the search for a good pattern. However, I'm not going to let that cloud my judgment. That's pointless to me. All of your reasoning has merit. You bring up good points often. The only issue is the abrasive delivery at times. But it's all good. You're right, we don't really want to see that. That would end up +AO and with that Pacific that would be that.

its not the end of the world if there is 0 measurable snow this season, that would actually be historic and fun to see.  It also considerably increases the odds for seeing a historic positive season in the next few years based on the last 20 years.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Maybe we need another El Niño to change up the winter North Pacific pattern. The Super El Niño in 15-16 shifted the ridge axis west. It had been further east in 13-14 and 14-15. But the common denominator seems to be the record WPAC warm pool generating these giant stationary waves .

56753738-FA7C-4AFC-81E3-26B2F1208115.png.6c0135b0ffc01a3aea3908cdd4c47a8e.png

BC8E7283-94B7-42CF-93F7-0876ADF60E25.png.c1c96731435bd5c1b40af2890a20f81e.png

thats why I see people predicting an el nino for next winter and not just an el nino but a strong one (see main forum)

Big picture. The strat is up to bat next IMO. Probably hear some talk about it over the next 2 weeks. This current - NAO isn't going to last forever. We'll need a strat assist to keep the arctic favorable down the line. There's real potential there though, but mother nature is going to do whatever she wants. So we observe. Maybe we spin the ssw roulette wheel. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RippleEffect said:

i actually seen tony call for snow showers in late may or some sh*t lmao. tony is number one weenie for a reason guys. i love this place it makes me so calm!

His optimism is needed and appreciated by me. And I am sure many others feel the same. When I first came here I was younger and so enthusiastic about snow. I still love snow but I understand the patterns more now so I can adjust my expectations. 

• Like 1