Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021

MJO812

32 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Models continue in push back mode. The forecast colder pattern near the end of December is now warmer than the old run. This is the same thing that happened for Christmas from a week ago. It’s one of the problems with such a strong -PNA pattern.

New run

8175434C-29EF-4858-AE8B-ED069A22535A.thumb.png.00a6b9cd2ba66648eb110b3cb07265ee.png

Old run

693650B3-5417-49A5-A182-D95D9D34B59A.thumb.png.582123b649849acd47d7822de18ef5c6.png

Well AN air for the foreseeable future.

Goose egg for December seems likely.

28F this morning…even that is AN for my location :)

Morning thoughts…

It will be partly sunny and milder today. High temperatures will likely reach mainly the lower and middle 40s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 44°

Newark: 47°

Philadelphia: 46°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 42.8°; 15-Year: 43.6°

Newark: 30-Year: 43.3°; 15-Year: 44.3°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 44.5°; 15-Year: 45.6°

Another brief push of cooler air is likely on Thursday before readings again warm up.

IMO, it's this area of persistent convection north of Australia causing this persistent -PNA. So you would want some subsidence to push east from the Indian Ocean to tamp that down somewhat as the mjo moves east. That's what was happening on some of the better ensemble (eps & gefs) runs last week. Not so much currently. This is also a piece of the la Niña base state. So it's definitely a challenging proposition, especially with very warm water in this area. Just wanted to point that out for those wondering why that -PNA is there in the first place. 

1762037316_abpwsair(1).thumb.jpg.39208aa935f6757ad5cd23efab5854c6.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

A run through 8-1-2 would be alot better.  With that -PNA we risk all the cold dumping out west

Yeah 8 is the money phase, but we can reach average annual snowfall if we keep hitting 7 with a predominantly negative NAO/AO.

I think the biggest issue is lack of precipitation/larger storms. 2001/2002 may have had the same problem.

Give me 20 inches of overrunning/swfe/"washed away by rain" snowfall by March 1st and I will take my chances in a Nina March any day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah 8 is the money phase, but we can reach average annual snowfall if we keep hitting 7 with a predominantly negative NAO/AO.

I think the biggest issue is lack of precipitation/larger storms. 2001/2002 may have had the same problem.

Give me 20 inches of overrunning/swfe/"washed away by rain" snowfall by March 1st and I will take my chances in a Nina March any day.

Phase 7 is decent for us in January 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

No thread for tonight or Christmas eve early morning... but may eventually begin OBS thread if anything looks more certain for near NYC, otherwise suggest the freezing-frozen are tucked into the NW-NE suburbs thread.  

This is my take upon looking at multiple model output: Best chance tonight for ice is interior MA, if precip occurs there.  HRRR,  SPC HREF, HRRR X favor up there. However, some other modeling allows for spotty icing all the way down to near I95 in NJ.  RGEM being one of them. Because of this I add the NWS 10z ensemble for chance of spotty icing tonight---LOW chance but not zero.  

The period of light snow risk (less than 1") continues for Thursday night-early Friday but it too may be a non player in NYC.  That's not much winter, but something.

My last on this til after 5P. Have a day!

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 5.25.36 AM.png

Flakes will be nice to see on Christmas Eve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Models continue in push back mode. The forecast colder pattern near the end of December is now warmer than the old run. This is the same thing that happened for Christmas from a week ago. It’s one of the problems with such a strong -PNA pattern.

New run

8175434C-29EF-4858-AE8B-ED069A22535A.thumb.png.00a6b9cd2ba66648eb110b3cb07265ee.png

Old run

693650B3-5417-49A5-A182-D95D9D34B59A.thumb.png.582123b649849acd47d7822de18ef5c6.png

Which is why I was never excited about this pattern. Two months from now this would be an excellent pattern though. 

And I do think this pattern will show up again in late Feb/March where most of our cold & snow will be. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

I think it's a question of if you're willing to put up with a near perfect snowless winter if you think that next year could be a blockbluster.  I already see comparisons to 2002-03 for next year coming out of the main forum.  Would you guys care if we had a completely snowless winter this year if we could score big next year?  Thats the way it's been happening recently (a streak of great winters after one nearly snowless winter, it's happened multiple times since 2001-02.)

I think it's a question of if you're willing to put up with a near perfect snowless winter if you think that next year could be a blockbluster.  I already see comparisons to 2002-03 for next year coming out of the main forum.  Would you guys care if we had a completely snowless winter this year if we could score big next year?  Thats the way it's been happening recently (a streak of great winters after one nearly snowless winter, it's happened multiple times since 2001-02.)

giphy.gif

I’m old enough to know that it do be like that sometimes and be at peace with that.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah I would. 4.5 inches for the season was rough in 01/02 but worth it for 02/03

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah I would. 4.5 inches for the season was rough in 01/02 but worth it for 02/03

Yup just for that one winter alone but think about it we had a three year streak of AMAZING winters (I'm not including 05-06 because that was a one hit winter.)

And then we had a few bad to average winters from 06-07 through 08-09 followed by two historic blockbusters.

After 11-12 we had an average 12-13 and then two historic winters again 13-14 and 14-15

2 hours ago, EasternLI said:

IMO, it's this area of persistent convection north of Australia causing this persistent -PNA. So you would want some subsidence to push east from the Indian Ocean to tamp that down somewhat as the mjo moves east. That's what was happening on some of the better ensemble (eps & gefs) runs last week. Not so much currently. This is also a piece of the la Niña base state. So it's definitely a challenging proposition, especially with very warm water in this area. Just wanted to point that out for those wondering why that -PNA is there in the first place. 

1762037316_abpwsair(1).thumb.jpg.39208aa935f6757ad5cd23efab5854c6.jpg

The typhoon really slowed the progression of the mjo. Probably won’t be until the new year we get into p7. Hopefully we can get a pac reshuffle but the ensembles have definitely been can kicking it 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The typhoon really slowed the progression of the mjo. Probably won’t be until the new year we get into p7. Hopefully we can get a pac reshuffle but the ensembles have definitely been can kicking it 

Yup. This stuff is challenging for all models. So constant monitoring is helpful to "look under the hood" so to speak. There's some hints I'm seeing that a new wave takes over in phase 6 and propagates right into to phase 7. But as the old one is dissipating. So it's a stalled out in Phase 7 look on the ensembles. Griteater has a nice thread on Twitter about other years that did something similar. The hope is that this phase 7 will do significant damage to the PV. It's pretty much wait and see what happens at this point. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Gefs has a high amplitude 7 as we move along. It moves along unlike the Euro.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

No one said a snowstorm 

given how dry and poor the pattern is, I think this will trend drier and further north as we move closer....last weekend's system ended up much further north than modeled even a day out and LOL how much snowier the weatherbell maps are than TT.  Does JB fluff them to show more snow for the weenies?!?!?? LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2