Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021

MJO812

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I don’t think that - EPO or a -NAO will matter for us as long as the the big -PNA trough remains near the West Coast. It keeps pumping the SE Ridge. Maybe the weeklies update later will have some more information. But you can see the latest GEFS is stubbornly holding onto that -PNA trough. 

6536CEC2-09DB-4DFF-BF39-8EC3CAA178C6.thumb.png.89ba07389a61691cdcde5656170ee619.png

1C668180-4A1B-4231-B3B5-4FDD9EA135BA.thumb.png.89c66f2d5d02226fcce6038d3fe5f3a2.png

B6E871D0-DC4F-4A2C-9DCA-82B4942CE35D.thumb.png.7135bd087f5393d6a78a1906e31bee0a.png

Looks like the Niña/+GLAAM MJO phase 7 composite. The SPV hype has no basis either, there is no evidence of a warming or split and it continues to remain very strong. 

This illustrates your point further: 

• Weenie 3

50 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Looks like the Niña/+GLAAM MJO phase 7 composite. The SPV hype has no basis either, there is no evidence of a warming or split and it continues to remain very strong. 

This illustrates your point further: 

It’s going to take a major hit but will probably regain strength after that. It that wave 2 hit is true, it could help improve the pattern for cold/nao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lee59 said:

Upper mid west and upper Great Lakes certainly have not missed out on winter this month. Parts of upper Michigan have received 2-4 ft. of snow and International Falls Minnesota reached -15 and -16 this week. Minneapolis expecting a snowstorm tomorrow. The cold wintry weather barely making it across the Canadian border.

Typical of Nina winters. The upper Midwest is usually favored for big winters then along with the Northwest. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

LR still looks like crap. The only good thing is the very positive EPO goes away. 

Strong Atlantic blocking would do wonders in this pattern. Maybe it won't be a 2015 blowtorch but it still sucks. 

I think we'll get a favorable period in Jan and then March like 2018 though nowhere as severe. 

2015 was a straight up monster SE ridge which other than I think 2 periods of 3 days never moved..this is more in line with other top 10 Decembers which in most of the eastern US climo sites are all bunched up between 84-01-06-82-90 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

A negative NAO and negative epo would do the trick .

You can have a -NAO and a SE ridge at the same time, I’ve seen folks say they can’t co-exist but that’s nonsense. It’s very possible and has happened many times before. That severely -PNA along with the SE ridge flex is going to be an issue. It might be a “gradient” pattern for New England…..

• Like 1

I think ensembles are slowly coming around to the phase 7 la Niña look. I suspect the NAO look on ensembles right now is actually an atlantic ridge, similar to that composite, but spread is smearing that into the NAO domain. Any real -NAO wouldn't be until after the ball drops IMO. It's a slow moving mjo wave. I feel like any sooner progression would be too fast. Gefs is a little faster than eps. I'm thinking the eps has the better idea with the timing here. It's the very end of the 12z eps where the changes are just beginning. That makes some sense to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The 12z EPS keeps the -PNA trough near the West Coast through Dec 24th.This pumps up the SE Ridge.The -EPO ridge is centered too far west near the Aleutians and the -NAO is too far east based near Europe. 

12z EPS for 12z Dec 24th

D74606B9-0377-4190-84EB-AC79C1F889A6.thumb.jpeg.edce832f655989d8703b9fda2eabb1f1.jpeg

We need to start seeing changes (moving up in time) somewhere and this is a start….I’ll take a -epo and East based block and roll it forward from there…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TheManWithNoFace said:

Hey everyone I need some help. Many months ago someone posted a chart of annual mean dewpoints at a local observation station over the last several years, if I recall correctly. I need to find that or something similar. Can anyone help?

Just select the station and time of year.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=76&network=NY_ASOS&station=JFK&season=jul&varname=dwpf&year=1893&w=bar&hours=0-23&_r=t&dpi=100&_fmt=png

93A9DFB3-F64E-4452-A368-DBD8CEFE750F.thumb.png.2cc3e8b8854ca9a8bd8a8c4492b4ad3a.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

We need to start seeing changes (moving up in time) somewhere and this is a start….I’ll take a -epo and East based block and roll it forward from there…

I agree with you there and I’m not sure where this “SSW”, “SPV split” hype on twitter is coming from, there’s zero evidence of either, it’s clearly a fairy tale…in fact the stratosphere is really ugly right now and may get worse, it’s starting to couple into the troposphere in fact….