• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021

MJO812

Next week has interior New England and probably interior central and northern New England at that, written all over it. Marginal airmass, no arctic high locked in to the north, -PNA with a big low crashing into the west coast, +AO, neutral NAO, +EPO, neutral WPO, raging PAC jet, super fast flow, no blocking, northern branch shortwave may outrun the southern branch shortwave due to the very fast zonal flow and lack of blocking. It would be the definition of thread the needle and extremely good luck to get anything of significance (snow wise) here in the metro area: 

No threads from me regarding a possible wind event Monday afternoon-evening. GFS strongest on this but no consensus for a widespread 40+ knot event.

Ditto Wed snow ice I84 corridor: The 06z/3 GFS shows us how variable the solutions for the 8th.  00z/3 EPS-GEFS cyclically continue to favor some snow or ice I84 corridor but the snow may be biased high by the standard 10 to 1 ratio applied to mixed precip.  Just too early to be confident of much snow (probably would be a quick change to ice or rain), so at this time, I'll wait til this evening to rereview for consensus on this wintry hazard. Others have mentioned the same. Attached the ~04z/3 WPC ensemble guidance for a 3"+ snow event or 1/4" mixed frozen on D6 (Wed the 8th). Their probs of under 29% for our area on a D6 forecast justifies, for me, no thread at this time. 

Just need to be patient, shop and get some more outdoor cleanup completed, and/or put the finishing touches on the holiday lighting-preparations. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 4.54.15 AM.png

• Like 3

Morning thoughts…

Today will be partly cloudy, breezy, and cooler. High temperatures will likely reach the middle and upper 40s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 46°

Newark: 49°

Philadelphia: 51°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 48.0°; 15-Year: 48.4°

Newark: 30-Year: 48.6°; 15-Year: 49.1°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 49.6°; 15-Year: 50.3°

Milder air will return during the weekend.

• Like 1

Winter 60s have become more common over the years. LGA reached 60° yesterday and most stations were close. Our next chance for 60s will be on Monday. December is starting warmer than forecast.

KEWR   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE  12/03/2021  0000 UTC                       
 FHR  24| 36  48| 60  72| 84  96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192      
 FRI  03| SAT 04| SUN 05| MON 06| TUE 07| WED 08| THU 09| FRI 10 CLIMO
 X/N  49| 32  49| 35  49| 45  66| 43  44| 34  47| 40  49| 44  58 31 46
  • Like 1

The next 8 days are averaging  45degs.(40/51), or +6.

Reached 57 here yesterday.

Today: 44-47, wind nw. and breezy till sunset, variable skies.      GFS has no 32 for the next 16 days.

44*(50% RH) here at 6am.    43* at 7am.     47* at Noon.       49* at 3pm.       41* at 9pm.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

You know something much more extreme than the typical La Niña is going on when Alaska records the deepest fall +EPO vortex on record.

We may be stuck in a warm pattern for most of December. The MJO wave is going to run into a wall of easterlies from the Niña and get ripped apart before it can propogate into phase 7. Classic model bias of exaggerating phase 7, which is why they kept going back and forth in the long range 

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

No threads from me regarding a possible wind event Monday afternoon-evening. GFS strongest on this but no consensus for a widespread 40+ knot event.

Ditto Wed snow ice I84 corridor: The 06z/3 GFS shows us how variable the solutions for the 8th.  00z/3 EPS-GEFS cyclically continue to favor some snow or ice I84 corridor but the snow may be biased high by the standard 10 to 1 ratio applied to mixed precip.  Just too early to be confident of much snow (probably would be a quick change to ice or rain), so at this time, I'll wait til this evening to rereview for consensus on this wintry hazard. Others have mentioned the same. Attached the ~04z/3 WPC ensemble guidance for a 3"+ snow event or 1/4" mixed frozen on D6 (Wed the 8th). Their probs of under 29% for our area on a D6 forecast justifies, for me, no thread at this time. 

Just need to be patient, shop and get some more outdoor cleanup completed, and/or put the finishing touches on the holiday lighting-preparations. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 4.54.15 AM.png

Not surprising, but the new EPS has begun a move north, which I’m sure will continue. These always move north in a lousy setup like this 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Agree

Our weather patterns have become much more amplified in recent years. We were talking about the record high heights over Alaska during the fall of 2018. These extreme reversals have also been occurring with AO and NAO in the Atlantic.

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Current pattern looks more like a La Niña January phase 5.

80898CDB-DD8B-435C-8A16-ADFCC401B11D.thumb.png.9f98107cef93f38668751104793146d2.png

796F73B5-1344-4DC5-9369-533DC9B67BD5.thumb.png.fac7e40c2ce029d8e5363f01628fd226.png

If you read Eric Webb’s tweet chain I posted before, he explains why the models are incorrect for propagating the MJO wave into phase 7 with the current Niña state. They also propagate it too fast as well as too far. It has been stuck in phases 4-6 since the beginning of September 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Our weather patterns have become much more amplified in recent years. We were talking about the record high heights over Alaska during the fall of 2018. These extreme reversals have also been occurring with AO and NAO in the Atlantic.

Hey there's a big blizzard going on in Hawaii.... how did arctic air make it all the way down there?

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

If you read Eric Webb’s tweet chain I posted before, he explains why the models are incorrect for propagating the MJO wave into phase 7 with the current Niña state. They also propagate it too fast as well as too far. It has been stuck in phases 4-6 since the beginning of September 

Those RMM charts probably won’t be a reliable indicator of the pattern in situations like this. 

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/mjoupdate.pdf

A Pacific MJO event is likely to destructively interfere with La Niña, and there remains uncertainty as to whether the MJO will maintain an organized structure, as evidenced by large ensemble spread in the RMM forecasts through mid-December. Any coherence of the intraseasonal signal is more likely to be south of the equator.

• Like 2