• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Prediction of the first snowfall for the NYC area.

MJO812

43 minutes ago, uncle W said:

in our lifetime the only snowfall on 12/18 was the 1-2" snowfall in 1963...I remember it well...I walked to the dentist on Ft Ham Pkwy and 62 ST that evening...

Memories Unc. I was a senior in Fort Hamilton HS. We had just moved from 75th st in Dyker Heights to 83rd st just off Ridge Blvd I actually enjoyed an entire year of walking to school again. As always ….

• Like 1

Hey I have a question thats been nagging at me....there was a nice sized December snowfall back in the 80s I just don't remember what year.

It was an 8.6" snowfall (for some reason that number sticks out to me) and (I think) happened Friday into Saturday in December somewhere between December 1984 and December 1986.  Can anyone pull up data on this storm?  I distinctly remember it was supposed to change to rain at night but never did, instead it tapered off to freezing drizzle and drizzle at the very end.

41 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Do you remember the snowfall more or the experience at the dentist lol

its funny you say that because I didn't go back to a dentist till 1977 when I had to...I was consumed with that snowfall and every other one that year...that winter was great...I had a street light across the street and a tree branch in front of my vision...I can't tell you how many times I looked at that light to see snow falling at night...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Hey I have a question thats been nagging at me....there was a nice sized December snowfall back in the 80s I just don't remember what year.

It was an 8.6" snowfall (for some reason that number sticks out to me) and (I think) happened Friday into Saturday in December somewhere between December 1984 and December 1986.  Can anyone pull up data on this storm?  I distinctly remember it was supposed to change to rain at night but never did, instead it tapered off to freezing drizzle and drizzle at the very end.

Dec 1984 had a 4.8" snowfall ending as drizzle in later December between heat waves...85 and 86 had very little snow...8.6" fell in January 1987 ending as drizzle...

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, uncle W said:

Dec 1984 had a 4.8" snowfall ending as drizzle in later December between heat waves...85 and 86 had very little snow...8.6" fell in January 1987 ending as drizzle...

I might have confused those lol....I think it was the January 1987 snowfall I was thinking about that I remember the measurement from but juxtaposed that with the December 1984 snowfall lol.  Uncle, do you have JFK snowfall totals from both those storms (December 1984 and January 1987) and the dates they occurred on?  There's also a LGA 7 incher in there somewhere which I remember because we had just moved to a new house and the door got stuck when I got home from school and I couldn't get inside....the snow started around 3 in the afternoon and got heavier by 6  and snowed until the next morning.  I don't remember the totals from the city or JFK for that one but I remember LGA got 7"

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I might have confused those lol....I think it was the January 1987 snowfall I was thinking about that I remember the measurement from but juxtaposed that with the December 1984 snowfall lol.  Uncle, do you have JFK snowfall totals from both those storms (December 1984 and January 1987) and the dates they occurred on?  There's also a LGA 7 incher in there somewhere which I remember because we had just moved to a new house and the door got stuck when I got home from school and I couldn't get inside....the snow started around 3 in the afternoon and got heavier by 6  and snowed until the next morning.  I don't remember the totals from the city or JFK for that one but I remember LGA got 7"

Climate (weather.gov)

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rjay said:

Jan 3rd 2023

32 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I know your joking, but it’s only a matter of time before we have our first ever 0 winter 

Good morning thread bearers of good and not so good news. Another one of my fathers sledge hammer delivery lines was “many a true word is said in jest.”. It may apply to most monologues and the atmosphere. So .. 02/13/2022. May I be wrong, late. As always …..

• 2 weeks later...