Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Sorry-I had you in NF.  NS is different 

Is there ever a year where those provinces are starved of snow? 

Many places where Americans live are what I call “Typical” snowfall locations. I define that as any location that averages 20 to 45 inches of snow annually. Such locations alternate between snowy years and frustrating years of lacking. And there’s nothing you can do about it when you live there. 

Minding out possible future shifts in weather behavior, I just can’t imagine that Newfoundland is a location that EVER struggles with snowfall. I mean these places gotta get 100, 200 inches per year right? Not threatened by climate change. But Canada’s weather service is super foreign to me and I find that NOAA is superior to theirs. What with all that unoccupied land with scant routine observation. In other words, I have not studied weather in northeastern Canada.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I still text her once in a while. Maybe tomorrow I’ll ask her more specific thoughts on it.  It’s possible the Boston accent reminds her of some area of England.

Ya I’m sure that’s possible.

The thing is, you’ll never hear anybody on national TV or national news etc…with that accent. They don’t want it.   Hey whatever, it’s all good. Who cares. 

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Nobody from England I’ve ever heard speak sounds like Boston, at all. There’s a stark difference between the two. That’s all I’m saying. 

The connection is the non-rhotic pronunciation. Most American dialects are rhotic, which was a characteristic of English spoken in England until about 200 years ago. Ultimately all languages and dialects and rapidly evolving constantly, so it doesn't really matter. But it is fascinating to learn about how language has evolved.

• Like 1