Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Pacific flow ... or which ever, yup -

I just prefer to refer to it overall as a 'gradient rich' environment.   By gradient, we mean the height contours on the weather map.  When you see more of them, the ambient wind velocity - to wit, waves in the atmosphere more embedded in that field - increases in direct proportion. 

This is a circumstance - as an aside - that has been a repeating theme in winters over our continent, with increasing frequency observed since the early 2000's. This has happened regardless of ENSO this, or PDO that, or polar index multi-decadal indicators.  Prooooobably related to the 'hocky-stick,' non-linear climate change.

Yes, it seems like regardless of any other indices, we end up in the same crap air mass and environment.

Not sure who said what when and where, how, or in what context so all due -

but that idea of more than less favorable pattern transformation taking place closer to the month's end is definitely showing up more so in the last day's extended cluster means/telecon derivatives.

Long ass haul to get there of course.. .but, we'd be out past the break water of the holidays in the open winter sea where it's all about pure event tracking for its own merit.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I've been feeling that 22nd system for a couple of days now...was just waiting to see some model truth of it coming west with the southern stream system. It just has that feel of something that "wants" to phase sooner. You can see the surface isobars kinking back toward the northern stream almost south of NYC. It almost seems like the models have an event horizon with these things...get 2 shortwaves that are strong enough, close enough, and then they develop a sooner attraction.

We'll see.

lets just hope it does this in a way that has it be snow

There's going to be a lot of model volatility I think over the next 24-36 hours because some of the key features for 12/24 and 12/25 aren't onshore yet...and 12/25 is especially poor because satellite-derived data gets more unreliable in the arctic with the very low tropopause.

XmasWeek2021.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, dryslot said:

The 12/22 one looks to be the blocking mechanism for the two follow ups on the 24-25th, But as this ends up tracking more west, The block looks to end up there as well.

The further west solutions on 12/22 seem to have further south solutions on 12/25...while the further east 12/22 solutions are more north/warm for 12/25 due to the 12/22 system not phasing as much and hence, the block and 50/50 low is a little weaker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Looks like we may have some combination of 3 chances for a white Christmas 

I think down here it's really two...not seeing how we get much, if any, snow from 12/22 in SNE...maybe N ORH county could.

It's really going to come down to 12/24 or 12/25.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The further west solutions on 12/22 seem to have further south solutions on 12/25...while the further east 12/22 solutions are more north/warm for 12/25 due to the 12/22 system not phasing as much and hence, the block and 50/50 low is a little weaker.

That was kind of where i was going with that without actually going there, We already have some ready to swan dive off the tobin ha ha, Yes, That western solution on the 22nd would force the next one further south and shred it.

10 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

Ugh move that system more to the south and east and I would be in business. 

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_10.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_10.png

Nope. No Phase = No Bueno. Otherwise it's a southern low with no cold air to work with. It's rain with some catpaws at the beginning and maybe at the end.  I'd rather punt it and save the snow on the ground for Christmas. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I hate to see what happens when the euro has nothing for the 24th and rain for the 25th. :( 

Anthony desperately running through the halls of 1PP trying to get the commissioner to call the Taunton chief to send a response team out to the house and water rescue assets down the Taunton River. Can’t send help because they were defunded. Hate to see it.

edit: not intended to be a political comment :lol: 

• Like 2