Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

will be interesting to see how much the models bust cold tomorrow. the nam was off by like 10 degrees across iowa where it's in the 70s now

The NAM is complete trash when it comes to forecasting temperatures...especially across the central U.S. There are some instances where the NAM/GFS will be off by like 10-15F on temps...it's laughable. 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The NAM is complete trash when it comes to forecasting temperatures...especially across the central U.S. There are some instances where the NAM/GFS will be off by like 10-15F on temps...it's laughable. 

SW flow in December, especially if its 10-20kts and you are mixing from higher than 850 pretty much any model will bust...in reality though the NAM/GFS can often be too WARM in southern parts of the US in December/January for highs at D2-3 sometimes when flow is not S'ly or you are not well mixed...the last 2 weeks the GFS has cranked highs in places like RDU/BNA/ATL to 74-78 at times 3-4 days out only for them to end up in the low or mid 60s because surface flow was either light or from the E or SE.

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s uncanny how often it actually works out that the Mass Pike is a haves and haves not dividing line by +\- 10 miles. 

I believe a lot of the interstate system in the east at least was built upon old road networks, which were built on the edges of the path of least resistance for travelers. I know I saw a TWC segment on this years ago. Geography influences wx, which influenced early road networks, which influenced many modern roadways. 

https://abc7ny.com/nyc-snow-i95-nj-corridor/10190897/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

SW flow in December, especially if its 10-20kts and you are mixing from higher than 850 pretty much any model will bust...in reality though the NAM/GFS can often be too WARM in southern parts of the US in December/January for highs at D2-3 sometimes when flow is not S'ly or you are not well mixed...the last 2 weeks the GFS has cranked highs in places like RDU/BNA/ATL to 74-78 at times 3-4 days out only for them to end up in the low or mid 60s because surface flow was either light or from the E or SE.

I noticed that too...kinda got screwed by that a few times...especially when I do Weekly forecasts on Friday I'll get a little overzealous seeing some of these warm signals in the south only to get muted. Another issue too is cloud cover...sometimes guidance is a bit too aggressive with sky cover and it probably impacts its mixing potential. NBM does seem to be a bit better though than MOS. RDU is a place where it seems like models often are a bit too high with temps and a bit too warm with lows. I've wanted to look into this but I've wondered if RDU is a location that is great for radiating. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah no snow pack to protect....lol. I want it 70F...I'd like to make one final pass with the leaf blower. Especially if Saturday is going to end up on the snowier side.

I'm all done...even hit the lawn with the weed whacker where it needed it on Sunday.

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I noticed that too...kinda got screwed by that a few times...especially when I do Weekly forecasts on Friday I'll get a little overzealous seeing some of these warm signals in the south only to get muted. Another issue too is cloud cover...sometimes guidance is a bit too aggressive with sky cover and it probably impacts its mixing potential. NBM does seem to be a bit better though than MOS. RDU is a place where it seems like models often are a bit too high with temps and a bit too warm with lows. I've wanted to look into this but I've wondered if RDU is a location that is great for radiating. 

This has been a dirty SE ridge to a degree...the ridge has been there in the means but the axis of it has been centered W or even NW of the SE US and we've had Canadian highs skirting by to the north and the W Canada source region has been good vs previous years where Canada has been torched...as a result many areas in the SE have largely underperformed except those days immediately ahead of the front and we've seen areas keep getting semi wedged.  Saturday will be another day like that but I'd bet Friday high temps in NC/SC/TN/GA generally are way lower than modeled now and what was modeled 2-3 days ago.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The pattern near us is kind of like Dec 1995 in that several days leading into the Dec 19-20 storm. 850 temps weren't even that cold but the sfc was since we had a mean high to our north.

Like, here's the Dec 19, 1995 map....

Dec19-1995.gif

Schwoegler second round backlash storm.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm all done...even hit the lawn with the weed whacker where it needed it on Sunday.

The woods behind my house has a ton of oaks...so even though I had the yard pristine 3 weeks ago, there are a lot of stragglers that blew leaves into the yard. Really annoying actually....

But anyways, EPS going full nuclear into January is nice:

Dec15_12zEPS360.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Schwoegler second round backlash storm.

LOL....that one was painful....still a good storm, but man, what could have been.

This blocking with non-arctic air pre-Xmas is kind of similar to that look though....at least in our half of the CONUS....the west is far colder than that year because of the monster EPO/-PNA combo.