Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, weathafella said:

I was living in LA pining for winter.  I moved there in November 1976.  :axe:

I wonder if that move made you an even bigger snow weenie...knowing you moved just before the exceptional ‘76-77 and ‘77-78 winters. So when you got back, you relish it even more. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wonder if that move made you an even bigger snow weenie...knowing you moved just before the exceptional ‘76-77 and ‘77-78 winters. So when you got back, you relish it even more. 

I remember sitting at my breakfast table reading the LA Times before work at my then private office.  I noted the prog of a low in the gulf.  I canceled the rest of the week and was on the red eye to Boston that night.  Event was a dud-maybe 2 inches.  But there was snow cover and cold.  This was maybe January 1981?

Yeah it definitely uber weenieed me.  I lost 15 winters!  I probably will give them up soon and maybe become a snowbird.  For now, I think a 1-2 week break late in winter works.

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was 1980. There was also an arctic airmass in 1983 but the 1980 one was colder. 

1983 wasn't much warmer, -12 in Fort Kent, but with modest winds.  In 1980 the temp dropped from 9° at 9 PM on the 24th to -23 at sunrise Christmas day with 40+ gusts.  Afternoon high was -16.  I've read that Boston's afternoon topped at zero and NYC something like 7.  At 1st CT Lake with their 7 AM obs, 12/26 temps were -24/-32.  That max is the coldest I've found in New England except at MWN.

Top snows on 12/25 are 8.0", in 1978 (Fort Kent) and 2017.  The latter storm all came on the 25th but the '78 event continued into the 27th with 16.5" as the total.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's some strong CAA at 925 on the NAM. 

Yeah you could tell that was probably going to be a pretty snowy solution if it went another couple frames. There was active cold air drain and the low coming out of the OH valley was already pretty far south so the drain wasn’t going to really stop/reverse. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Maybe it will be flat. Nothing has really panned out as I've expected over the last month so why not lol.

I’ll maybe believe it if there’s good model agreement on it by 12z tomorrow. 

But I'm still a skeptic for now. I always hate “waiting” for the cold air to drain down during the event. It rarely works out. There are exceptions of course...one of our recent favorites was 10/30/20. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

But I'm still a skeptic for now. I always hate “waiting” for the cold air to drain down during the event. It rarely works out. There are exceptions of course...one of our recent favorites was 10/30/20. 

I’d have to go back and look but I think I got over 4” with that one. I’ll remember that one for life, pretty rare event 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Going into a rather pig SE ridge too. Maybe the confluence to our north helps a bit.

59 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I def recall the Christmas 1980 cold.  

grew up on the south shore and remember walking up to the local pond on xmas day to try on the skates Santa had brought the night below. Right around zero degrees...a couple of circles around the pond and I was done and headed home. That was some real cold. I still have the skates.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Angus said:

grew up on the south shore and remember walking up to the local pond on xmas day to try on the skates Santa had brought the night below. Right around zero degrees...a couple of circles around the pond and I was done and headed home. That was some real cold. I still have the skates.

Where abouts?

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's like the Euro and GFS have swapped. How many times was the GFS always flat with these things?

Yeah seriously. GFS vomited all over itself in the 12/8 event too being way too amped so I’m not buying GFS yet either even though I’d probably lean that way right now.