Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

11 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

the black hole over Alaska starts to dissipate on the ensembles by 12/20 but it will probably take a while to get something more favorable in place.  No sign of any Atlantic blocking either.

Yea, I that is what scooter was getting at by saying that it was hostile beyond two weeks....you won't just flip it on like a switch...it will be gradual.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There isn't a black hole in AK, it's a super -PNA coming. Let me add so people don't head for the Tobin. After two weeks or so, we'll probably see more cold bleed down. My guess is we see something better prior to Christmas? Before that, looks awful.

Agreed.

31 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

yea i guess not a black hole - really low heights / -PNA which takes its time getting disrupted

I get that it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of sensible weather over the next couple of weeks...it still sucks. But in the longer term this is a very important distinction from years like 2011 and 2019. There is a light at the end of the tunnel because there is a great deal of cold in Canada, its just all dumping out west right now. Once that RNA relaxes, it will get cold. November is also a testament to that difference...November 2011 was a complete torch....it was very seasonable this year, if not even a little chilly. In 2011, the cold was confined to AK.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think the hostility relaxes close to 12/20....you can see the AK ridge rebuilding back before then, but then you'll need a few days to let the residual effects take hold.

Exactly. There are going to be periods like that this winter....that much has always been clear. I just didn't expect quite so much of that in December.

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Exactly. There are going to be periods like that this winter....that much has always been clear. I just didn't expect quite so much of that in December.

Well with so much of it happening now maybe just maybe there won't be any more of it until April. But realistically, there will probably be another period later January. Then finally February-March it stays cold. 

• Weenie 1