Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The funny thing is December 1970 is not memorable despite having a lot of snow and cold after about the 10th.   I remember watching Scwoegler’s map and it looked like the progs were seeing but we were mostly on the good side of the gradient.   Impulse after impulse...some bringing 6-10 which was about the ceiling.

Yea, this month should end up like that, but probably not as cold....better shot of a larger event in early January.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Nice to see fairly strong high pressure to the north as well ahead of the system. Could be a big game changer (in a positive way) for many. Anyways, trying not to get too hyped up about these D5-6+ threats this winter. The track record with these systems the past few winters have been pretty horrific. The patterns we have been in have just been pure hell from a modeling standpoint. 

But could be the last chance for quite a while...pretty strong signals for Pacific air to flood much of the country. However, given the degree of cold air that sticks around in Canada there will be quite a battle ground so northern New England could get slammed. I am getting a feeling this could be like a 70-71 type winter (I think that's the winter places like PWM and BTV got destroyed?) 

PWM's snowiest winter with 141.5", nearly 7" more than CAR though even up there 134.7" is a top 20 winter.  Jan 1971 is PWM's coldest month on record and that month's coldest morning of -26 ranks 3rd, behind only the freak blast in Feb 1943.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

PWM's snowiest winter with 141.5", nearly 7" more than CAR though even up there 134.7" is a top 20 winter.  Jan 1971 is PWM's coldest month on record and that month's coldest morning of -26 ranks 3rd, behind only the freak blast in Feb 1943.
In March 1971 several of us went to the Word of Life snow camp at Schroon Lake, between Glens Falls and Plattsburg.  It wasn't snowing when we arrived but there was 10" of new-fallen pow on the road to the bunkhouse.  Next day was fine but the morning after that we left in S+.  Getting onto the Northway was interesting as the snowbank between on-ramp and highway was 7-8 feet tall and we entered kind of blind.  Then the first 30-40 miles was like driving inside a ping-pong ball.  Outside of perhaps 1983-84 in Fort Kent, it was easily the most snow I've ever seen. 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

The funny thing is December 1970 is not memorable despite having a lot of snow and cold after about the 10th.   I remember watching Scwoegler’s map and it looked like the progs were seeing but we were mostly on the good side of the gradient.   Impulse after impulse...some bringing 6-10 which was about the ceiling.

Schwoegler in 70?

43 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Damage is coming. Yes!!!

Strong to perhaps damaging winds Mon & becoming very mild with
  highs into the 60s with a low risk for a few spots to approach 70

Usually when we have one extreme, you get the rubber band effect ( snaps back the other way ) to happen right after .. at least during the winter months. Let's hope that's the case for storm on Wednesday

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Outdoor dining here and snow covered in central NH. Crazy.

DD7358AE-0652-4BC9-950D-05B7D6DB1CAD.png

Shoveled an inch of cement this evening so it doesn’t freeze back up into concrete tomorrow. Hopefully Monday can melt it all off and we start anew.

My high was 33.7…back down to 33.2 now. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Outdoor dining here and snow covered in central NH. Crazy.

DD7358AE-0652-4BC9-950D-05B7D6DB1CAD.png

I didn't realize how warm it got down there today.  Must've felt nice to be honest without any snow on the ground to protect.  Today had a raw chill today... wasn't "cold" but that damp, foggy 30-34F at the mountain just felt miserable, ha.  Coldest elevation this afternoon was 1,500-2,000ft as the upper elevations warmed above the inversion.