SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have this for phase 7/Dec/Nina

nina_7_dic_ok.png

Oh nice...mine wasn't Nina-specific, but yeah, its the same idea. That's a very storng signal N of AK which would be good for us. That would shove the gradient south some compared to current guidance.

If we can shove that gradient south about 1-2 degrees of latitude from current guidance, then we'd prob be in decent shape. The GEFS haven't been as bad in the LR as the EPS and the OP GFS. Feels like the OP GFS has been consistently ugly out in D11-15....but the GEFS are not.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Here is the EPS MJO. Overall it looks like it weakens a bit and also...what will that stuff off of Africa  mean? I guess overall given where the convection is, it fits the composites Will and Ray showed.

image.png.2df7fd4d844cd4e087d64963f0b4173d.png

Yeah I'm hoping we see a trend more toward the -EPO look that the MJO composite phase 7 maps have as we move closer. It was especially strong on Ray's Nina composite.

If that does happen, then we really just have to deal with the turd pattern for a week or less.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The weird part is as Scott said...it wasn't a warm November there. I assume BDR is the closest site to him and they were actually a -1.7 departure for the month. But being close to the shore definitely makes for a much longer growing season.

KHVN is the closest and November was +.6 and Oct was +6.5.  Nov was running way higher but the last few days of Nov knocked it back quite a bit. 

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

His climate seems like Florida. He can run a fruit orchard in the winter. :lol:

The orchard is in Ryan's hometown. 

This picture was from Guilford last week on the green. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You can prob fold up the tent in NYC for a while....unless something lucky happens. It's going to be a gradient pattern....further north the better. Even SNE may struggle in this, but we'll see as we get closer to mid-month.

I was just about to tell him the same thing....its going to be 12/2007 lite for a stetch.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You can prob fold up the tent in NYC for a while....unless something lucky happens. It's going to be a gradient pattern....further north the better. Even SNE may struggle in this, but we'll see as we get closer to mid-month.

I think NNE will really cash in. SNE  will be on the border .

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also without getting too specific, those dashed and solid lines are typically how you expect the convection or subsidence areas to migrate. So if true, then maybe the convection drifts east a bit more and forces ridging more near AK and folds some cold into the US?

Exactly what I am confident takes place. Polar domain will get less hostile around holidays, but there isn't going to be big blocking until late season IMO.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh nice...mine wasn't Nina-specific, but yeah, its the same idea. That's a very storng signal N of AK which would be good for us. That would shove the gradient south some compared to current guidance.

If we can shove that gradient south about 1-2 degrees of latitude from current guidance, then we'd prob be in decent shape. The GEFS haven't been as bad in the LR as the EPS and the OP GFS. Feels like the OP GFS has been consistently ugly out in D11-15....but the GEFS are not.

Yea, go ensembles...OP is too ugly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Use this site for ENSO appropriate monthly MJO composites, guys.

MJO Tables - MeteoNetwork

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Exactly what I am confident takes place. Polar domain will get less hostile around holidays, but there isn't going to be big blocking until late season IMO.

We can stomach some early season doldrums if the epo becomes favorable for more than just a passing stretch. Late season blocking has been a reoccurring them lately but if it comes with a puke airmass, SoP will struggle. Your call for Jan being pretty benign is worrisome though. Eventually when we keep relying on a big Feb and March, we’ll shoot some blanks. Long way to go though…nothing is great, nothing is awful yet imo. 

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We can stomach some early season doldrums if the epo becomes favorable for more than just a passing stretch. Late season blocking has been a reoccurring them lately but if it comes with a puke airmass, SoP will struggle. Your call for Jan being pretty benign is worrisome though. Eventually when we keep relying on a big Feb and March, we’ll shoot some blanks. Long way to go though…nothing is great, nothing is awful yet imo. 

The favorable regime is likely to carry over into early Jan, and we could even get a nice phase-change event before another crappy stretch.

56 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No one denied a mild period mid month...it was you punting the month that was the source of dissent.

Ya that was my only point.  I think we’ll have a couple shots at something.  Wasn’t trying to be difficult.  

Perhaps his idea wins the day?  But I’m not ready to go their imo just yet. 

It’s all good, no growling/snarling. :lol: 

NNE Looks to be in great shape, and for me I’d rather have that now being I have a sledding trip planned for 12/26. Than us get in on snow here in SNE in early December, if it has to be one or the other. 

8 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

and shaping out to be horribly off for the weekend and next week. 60 possible on monday vs 33 on that chart. lofl 

You are a frigging idiot if you don't think models show volatility.  No way you have a met degree. I post those for people to see model output, Zero forecast and never taken as real. Go back to NYC and troll some more teenagers. They are more your size anyways

download (6).png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2