Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its been like the 80s with respect to seasonal totals, but we are still getting  larger dumps....like Feb 1 2021, and Dec 2019. Ironically enough considering your pun, its the 3-6" ers that are fewer and farther between.

I have been thinking about that too. Last year we wound up below normal by about 8-10 inches but we still had two double digit snow events!!

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

In the 80s the cape had some larger dumps too in the meh seasons. My point is, appreciate what falls. 

I get your point, but mine is that climate change has dictated that is how snowfall is distributed now. You can point out a couple of select snowfalls in a specific quadrant of the region 40 years ago, but the reality is that snowfall is being distributed over larger events and fewer middling ordeals.

• Like 1

Well in any case, after whatever happens next week it’s probably boredom for a bit as things move around in the Pacific. If we do get into a milder look, I’d figure beyond 12/15 is when things turn more wintry. Just my guess. Naturally climo helps too. I’m not a fan of the look first two weeks. With any luck we sneak in a wintry event or two......but I’m just talking about the overall look.

46 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like Stein talk will come back this winter/ spring 

Why am I seeing these stupid posts about strong la nina?

If its dry, it will because of the very negative PDO, but la nina in terms of ONI is weak and it will be lucky to peak moderate.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

People think we embellish when we jumped up and down for 3-6”.  

Yea. I probably even had it worse growing up in CNJ. I recall being euphoric over 1-2” clippers. I don’t think I had a snow day from school until 89 when we were forecasted for 12-18” but never saw a flake. The earliest major bust I can remember. If we had monitors back then, they would have been tossed into the Raritan river. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Trick or treat sweet to eat,

Torch from Halloween until New Years Eve.

Yankees baseball sucks real hard..

Kevin still blowing leaves in his back yard..

Torch, torch, torch...

Waxing the truck while the Cowboys lose...

Torch, torch, torch, 

Viewing the Euro while drinking booze...

lol wtf is going on here today!

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

The EPS still had mixed signals for both. And yes we very well may not get anything and then go through that period where it’s milder. Just the way it is.  Maybe it’s a few snowers too. It’s not even December yet.

There's always still March!

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well in any case, after whatever happens next week it’s probably boredom for a bit as things move around in the Pacific. If we do get into a milder look, I’d figure beyond 12/15 is when things turn more wintry. Just my guess. Naturally climo helps too. I’m not a fan of the look first two weeks. With any luck we sneak in a wintry event or two......but I’m just talking about the overall look.

coldest departures for December look like the first 1-2 weeks, mid month and beyond likely go warm with a grinch storm very much on the table.   

• Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

coldest departures for December look like the first 1-2 weeks, mid month and beyond likely go warm with a grinch storm very much on the table.   

I disagree.

I don't think that warmer interlude in mid December lasts very long. We should get a nice stretch around the holidays before it potentially goes to hell for a while after the New Year.

I would be shocked at  grincher this year...snow event on xmas much more likely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Winter used to start by December. Just a different world now . We have 3 short months to hope we can squeeze winter in . Losing much of Dec means two

What do you think the average snowfall was by 12/10 in ORH in the 1970s/1980s when you were growing up? Just want to see if your memory matches the empirical data. 

48 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I get your point, but mine is that climate change has dictated that is how snowfall is distributed now. You can point out a couple of select snowfalls in a specific quadrant of the region 40 years ago, but the reality is that snowfall is being distributed over larger events and fewer middling ordeals.

I actually ran these numbers a year or two ago and for ORH at least, only "small" events are down....middling events are actually up since the mid-20th century. Here is is in graph form:

ORH_snowFrequency.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I actually ran these numbers a year or two ago and for ORH at least, only "small" events are down....middling events are actually up since the mid-20th century. Here is is in graph form:

ORH_snowFrequency.png

Okay, well my point was larger events are more frequent and smaller events less frequent. I stand corrected about where the precise delineation lies.

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Until Grinch storm shows up between  12/22-12/26

• Weenie 1