Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

8 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Problem is I’m not sure if it matters a ton…the low up in Canada is a problem if I’m not mistaken. It’s not really cold enough anyway 

850s are way too warm.  Surface is too.  There's no point in tracking storms until we get cold.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

12z GEFS starts dumping cold air into the eastern US after the New Year.  Stout -NAO all the way through the run.  

Pretty amazing anomaly for a 16-day mean.  

image.thumb.png.dae0dd0203838b889ff4621c2cbacd4e.png

Pretty decent agreement among the Canadian, GFS, and Euro ensembles for the timeframe into very early Jan. Much like with the fabled D10-15 blocking pattern presented on the models in early Jan of last year, it seems like we'll have to wait a while for those effects to show up in the medium range, only this time we're looking at that pattern shift 2 weeks earlier. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Pretty decent agreement among the Canadian, GFS, and Euro ensembles for the timeframe into very early Jan. Much like with the fabled D10-15 blocking pattern presented on the models in early Jan of last year, it seems like we'll have to wait a while for those effects to show up in the medium range, only this time we're looking at that pattern shift 2 weeks earlier. 

Yep, today’s EPS also transitions into a pretty good looking pattern.  
image.thumb.png.48f7ff33b263f62934fb37c396053d8a.png

32 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

12z GEFS starts dumping cold air into the eastern US after the New Year.  Stout -NAO all the way through the run.  

Pretty amazing anomaly for a 16-day mean.  

image.thumb.png.dae0dd0203838b889ff4621c2cbacd4e.png

To my weenie uneducated eyes it also looks like we’re being helped there by the -EPO ridge shifting East pushing the western trough to the east, creating a broad CONUS trough (and the SE ridge gets shunted).  Someone way more smarter than me could probably correct everything I just fooked up.  

6 hours ago, poolz1 said:

I definitely hear what you are saying.  But, the pattern is changing right on top of us.  It was just 2 weeks ago or so that people were noting how "all the wrong colors are in all the wrong places."  The ball of blue over AK and the all of the HLB locations.  There are definitely faults to the advertised pattern but we are gnat's hair away from a very nice set up.  We aren't yet in the game but the coach has us by the jersey and is ready to put us in! But hey, two weeks we weren't even in the stadium.

Personally, just a little help out west would be best.  If we get a full on ++PNA that links up over the top the PV will be sitting over Lake Erie....especially with the strength of the west based block.  A slow transition that ebbs and flows would be nice.

I know what follows is perambulating banter ...

... this reminded me of 7th grade when I was waiting at the scorers table to enter the game for the first time with 7 seconds left.  Alas .. the coach did not call time out.  The pitfall of being a 4th string point guard.  ... but hey it's mid-December the equivalent of the 2nd inning if you'll excuse my shifting to a baseball analogy. 

I mean the atmosphere is like a tub of water right - at some point the cold water is bound to slosh our way - and we'll have our window... but for now all we can do is ooh-and-ah about a stout hour 360 -NAO, hope that the MJO will quit tarryng in 7 and head into 8, and look forward to how good the pattern 15-days past the 360-hour ensemble mean should be if past history during similar patterns holds. 

Keep the faith: with only a bit of luck by mid-January,  a few moisture-starved systems will pass near us and we will be able to return to worrying about the exact location of the rain/snow line. 

EPS moved up the progression by 24 hours too so no can kicking. When this period was at range guidance teased a slightly colder look for next week but it was always precarious and the excellent pattern progression analysis Webb posted showed the SE ridge would temporarily pump again and we had to wait until January to get the trough in the east. The can isn’t being kicked we just aren’t being patient. This happens every time. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Just to illustrate. Gefs Dec 27 when it was 15 days away and now when it’s 9 days. The gefs hasn’t been kicking the can. That’s amazing consistency. 
EFEA3075-0C6D-4D53-96F5-CFB426760B1B.thumb.png.7b1e66c01f4de614a666690cc1323769.png

1EEE058F-F6C7-4062-AB4A-846E9DC536D4.thumb.png.09eb4234ea70e1046ff1f4da7f63b587.png

Some unnecessary panic up in here today. Nothing has changed on the means.

Wanting cold and snow for Xmas is cute and sweet and romantic and all, but it doesn't happen too often in this area. 

• Like 5

I think we will switch PNA phases Jan 5, 10, or 15. Maybe later because the 384hr model has +300dm nearly still. NAO has been like a blotch since August, meaning the normal climate pattern was less -NAO, and it's like the -NAO has been pasted there. That may continue? We have been so opposite of last year, I love hugging that right now, but we had a monster -NAO last January, top 4 west-based -NAO on record actually, since 1948. I wonder if the NAO/AO trends positive when the -PNA lessens? 

I saw some major improvements so far on OP/ensembles Canadian & GFS. It really looks like Pac ridge will start to shift east towards Jan. This NAO block is absolutely insane. Sometimes as it we get closer in time models almost start to "sense" the block. Like tonight's run where the OP GFS went from nothing to snowstorm at 180 hours for NE. I'm starting to get giddy for January 

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_norm_anom-1038400.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• mappy unpinned this topic