• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
LV Wx Book -- Will you cough up the $$?!

LVwxHistorian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

I am considering authoring the definitive "Everything You Wanted to Know About the Unique and Dynamic Climate of Chester County PA In the Philadelphia Suburbs"   Is the title too long? Is $14.90 the right price? So many questions....

Sounds good but just don't include all that bogus snowfall data from 1890s and 1900s!!   I think that observer was a weenie, inflating figures just to get attention!

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

Sounds good but just don't include all that bogus snowfall data from 1890s and 1900s!!   I think that observer was a weenie, inflating figures just to get attention!

LOL! they were indeed certified by the NWS offices and are part of the official records for Pennsylvania.

4 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

LOL! they were indeed certified by the NWS offices and are part of the official records for Pennsylvania.

There was no NWS back then!!  And no quality control -- just look at all nearby stations.  We covered this in one of your posts last year.  Feb. 1899 and Jan 1905, and April 1894 storms are way inflated.  I'm gonna get back on NCDCs case to review them.

BTW your picture is super creepy, LOL!

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

There was no NWS back then!!  And no quality control -- just look at all nearby stations.  We covered this in one of your posts last year.  Feb. 1899 and Jan 1905, and April 1894 storms are way inflated.  I'm gonna get back on NCDCs case to review them.

BTW your picture is super creepy, LOL!

I agree - as someone I work with once said - once seen it cannot be unseen LOL!!

While there was no NWS it was validated by who was the official weather service prior to NWS formation - The US Dept of Agriculture - see the below part of the offical record from the NCDC image.thumb.png.64921eefd0870b0bdbb76aab47000150.png

2 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

I agree - as someone I work with once said - once seen it cannot be unseen LOL!!

While there was no NWS it was validated by who was the official weather service prior to NWS formation - The US Dept of Agriculture - see the below part of the offical record from the NCDC image.thumb.png.64921eefd0870b0bdbb76aab47000150.png

Are you referring to "Best Available Record" stamp?   that just means this is the most legible copy they have.  Have you looked at other stations in the county??

• Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

Are you referring to "Best Available Record" stamp?   that just means this is the most legible copy they have.  Have you looked at other stations in the county??

9 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

It is both best available and included as part of the record by the NCDC and PA State Climatologist. I have looked at other stations - West Chester Reported almost 40" that month....not unusual to have major differences across Chester County as you move from SE to NW or N to S. I have seen many occasions with huge differences. A great example is Morgantown in 1958 just 8 miles up the road from here recorded 50" of snow fell in one day with trucks stranded at the Turnpike entrace while down the road in West Chester (less than 15NM SE only 10" of snow fell....

The attached couple articles may help see the differences in snowfall across short distances...clearly in addition to topography there is banding etc. which can contribute to huge variation across relatively short distances.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/blogs/phillylists/Historic-snowfalls-Suburbs-totals-dominate.html

https://billypenn.com/2018/03/07/why-do-phillys-western-suburbs-always-get-more-snow/

You didn't know you were going up against a real weather historian, did you, LOL!  

This drunken observer W.J. Gordon was around for the DEC 1909 too:  38 inches when Kennett Square had 23" and 21" at West Chester??!!  

Come on!!

Your arguments are crumbling.  

Hopefully NCDC will do something about this ridiculousness

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, LVwxHistorian said:

You didn't know you were going up against a real weather historian, did you, LOL!  

This drunken observer W.J. Gordon was around for the DEC 1909 too:  38 inches when Kennett Square had 23" and 21" at West Chester??!!  

Come on!!

Your arguments are crumbling.  

Hopefully NCDC will do something about this ridiculousness

I first thought about the gradient that occurs from east to west across Chester County, as it can be significant. Have you contacted NCEI (formally NCDC) regarding this? Also, are there any available reports closer to Coatesville to better understand if those values are completely off the rails or not?

• Thanks 1