• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS-Nowcast: Periods of showers, some heavy Midnight-6PM Friday 11/12/21 with iso SVR possible. Can use this thread to add any Thunder-hail-gust 45 MPH that may occur Sat afternoon.

wdrag

a classic article about a classic severe weather outbreak

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/21/nyregion/sudden-winds-reach-100-mph-as-storm-sweeps-new-york-region.html

A severe line of thunderstorms with damaging winds swept through the New York metropolitan area last night, toppling trees, blowing out windows, disrupting some electrical service and causing scattered subway and traffic delays, officials said.

The wind and rain blew in from the northwest traveling at a speed of 50 miles per hour, with gusts of up to 100 m.p.h. Very cold air from the northwest ran into warmer air over the region, touching off the storms and high winds.

The National Weather Service clocked gusts of up to 58 m.p.h. in Central Park, 76 m.p.h. at La Guardia Airport and 85 m.p.h. in Wayne, N.J.

At Newark Airport, an empty Continental Boeing 727, was blown up against a fuel truck and a baggage truck by a gust of wind. Port Authority police said no one was injured. Crane Topples Over

edit- how many outbreaks did we have in 1989? Based on what I've found there were at least 3- one in July and 2 in November? wow!  Sort of like 1998 when we had a major outbreak in May and another one in September....

The one in July 1989 (which I dont even remember) had an F4 in CT?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Northeastern_United_States_tornado_outbreak#Long_Island

Connecticut tornado family

An hour after the previous event caused destruction in Upstate New York, a new tornado family began producing significant damage in the adjacent state of Connecticut. The first tornado, which may have been three separate tornadoes, started its path of destruction in Cornwall, leveling a virgin forest known as Cathedral Pines. At the nearby Mohawk Mountain Ski Area, every ski lift was destroyed, with some lift chairs found miles away.[5] The tornado continued south-southeast through Milton, leveling hundreds more trees, and destroyed the village of Bantam before dissipating.[1] Strong downburst winds continued to cause damage and level trees after this tornado lifted: it was during this period between tornadoes that a 12-year-old girl was killed by falling trees in Black Rock State Park.[4][6]

Soon afterwards, another tornado touched down in Watertown, passing through Oakville and northern Waterbury, damaging or destroying 150 homes.[1]

The Hamden tornado was by far the most destructive tornado of this family, and possibly the most damaging of the entire outbreak. It touched down at 5:38 pm near the Wilbur Cross Parkway.[7][8] Industrial cranes and cars were tossed through the air, and rows of houses, as well as an industrial park, were flattened.[9] The tornado lifted just a few minutes later at 5:45.[7] The damage path was only five miles long, stopping just short of the city of New Haven, but it damaged or destroyed almost 400 structures in its path.[1]

The storm was so intense at this point that an 80 mph (130 km/h) wind gust was measured in downtown New Haven after the tornado dissipated.[6] About the same time, a tornado struck the area between Carmel and Brewster, New York, unroofing a condominium complex. Five people were injured.[2]

Long Island

The storms continued to produce damage after crossing onto Long Island. An F2 tornado caused significant damage in the town of East Moriches. A man was thrown with his trailer across an airfield; he escaped the destroyed trailer with only minor injuries.[6] The tornado was accompanied by 2.5 inch (6.4 cm) hail. Other areas further east also saw straight-line wind damage and hail up to an inch across.[4]

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

November 1989 just in terms of severe weather damage.

Here's what I remember from having a fire drill that day and going outside

We went out into the football field, but had huge problems getting the doors open because the winds were pushing so hard against it.

Got outside and saw these strange green clouds hanging from the sky in weird shapes, festoons and pointy triangular shapes with the vertices of the triangles pointed downward, many of them spinning.

First time I ever saw that.  And it was like that all afternoon and most of the leaves on the trees came down on that day.  The earliest I've ever seen them come down.

I should say the Labor Day 1998 outbreak is right up there too- we had a F2 tornado hit Lynbrook and lots of damage and destruction around!

Thats different than a tornado outbreak. We are talking strictly the number of tornadoes, not total damage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

a classic article about a classic severe weather outbreak

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/21/nyregion/sudden-winds-reach-100-mph-as-storm-sweeps-new-york-region.html

A severe line of thunderstorms with damaging winds swept through the New York metropolitan area last night, toppling trees, blowing out windows, disrupting some electrical service and causing scattered subway and traffic delays, officials said.

The wind and rain blew in from the northwest traveling at a speed of 50 miles per hour, with gusts of up to 100 m.p.h. Very cold air from the northwest ran into warmer air over the region, touching off the storms and high winds.

The National Weather Service clocked gusts of up to 58 m.p.h. in Central Park, 76 m.p.h. at La Guardia Airport and 85 m.p.h. in Wayne, N.J.

At Newark Airport, an empty Continental Boeing 727, was blown up against a fuel truck and a baggage truck by a gust of wind. Port Authority police said no one was injured. Crane Topples Over

I dont even remember this. I only remember the outbreak on the 15th and 16th. But I guess that front ushered in the cold air that set up our snowstorm on Thanksgiving 3 days later

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

I dont even remember this. I only remember the outbreak on the 15th and 16th. But I guess that front ushered in the cold air that set up our snowstorm on Thanksgiving 3 days later

I remember that was a really windy and stormy month, what a crazy fall that was, the earliest leaf drop that ever happened as far as I remember.

I dont remember the July outbreak either, looks like that year had a lot of similarities to 1998 with all the severe wx outbreaks

10 hours ago, psv88 said:

Thats different than a tornado outbreak. We are talking strictly the number of tornadoes, not total damage. 

I have a feeling within the next decade we'll have a 2011 type outbreak with multiple strong F2 and F3 tornadoes and maybe even an F4 somewhere in our region.  Forgot the E but that takes too much effort to type.

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

List of tornadoes. Now 6 on Long Island (double the old record).
image.png.b9039f3a504f9975c61ef6026257c585.png

why were they all so weak though (besides the 1)....my prediction is that within 10 years we will see a similar outbreak except next time they will be 2s and 3s and maybe even a 4 for our interior region

On 11/16/2021 at 12:29 AM, LibertyBell said:

whats the difference between asperatus and mammatus? I thought mammatus were tornado clouds?  I remember seeing them in November 1989......

we were at high school and were told to go outside onto the football field and I saw clouds that hung down like sacs from the sky, they looked like they were spinning too...multiple spinning vortices in the sky and the wind was blowing so hard we could barely open the door

Mammatus are not tornado clouds. The only "tornado cloud" that I know of is a wall cloud.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 2:17 PM, JerseyWx said:

Had TREMENDOUS downpours between 1:10 and 1:35.  Also had very good sized hail.  This picture was an hour after the storm ended.  That's bigger than a pea if you can't tell.

20211113_141110.jpg

Had 1 inch hail here as well. Nice hail storm for sure that was 

• Like 1