Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid Atlantic sub Video chats

psuhoffman

Just now, Cobalt said:

Yeah, I'm not too familiar, how would moderation/verification go for those calls? It would be a shame if someone joined pretending to be someone else, only to end up being deliberately disruptful. 

Muting, and kicking people out can be done by hosts/co-hosts. I'm not sure how many people we have in this subforum that would deliberately waste time in pretending to be someone else. We aren't that large of a community like reddit - and really the "impostor" would not gain anything. If somebody wants to impersonate me - go ahead. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LP08 said:

I think the best use would be during an important model run or something.  Have PSU or someone share his screen and they can walk us through how it looks/what they are looking for (probably next winter since this winter will be dominated by the -pna)

The part in bold is what I was thinking about too wrt sharing screens.  It's so easy to do on Zoom, and the host has the option to control who is enabled to share screens; or not (if they so choose to control it and/or if the banter requires moderation).

3 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah, I'm not too familiar, how would moderation/verification go for those calls? It would be a shame if someone joined pretending to be someone else, only to end up being deliberately disruptful. 

We can probably handle the rare case of someone acting out with mute/remove.  But if we want to add an additional layer of security we could create a forum email list and send the code that way to avoid imposters. 

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Strongly agree here. A few exceptions are @ORH_wxman, @CoastalWx,  @MillvilleWx. We know it’s on like Donkey Kong when those guys show up.

And if course our man @WxWatcher007. Can’t leave him out.

I think anyone who has made significant contributions to our region should be invited.  Just my 2 cents. 

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

I like the idea, but let's be real...about six people would do all the talking while the rest of us either don't know what we're talking about or are socially awkward enough to just remain quiet.

:lol:

Pretty much like this forum now.  Only difference will be that PSU has to put on pants now to relay random stats from past winters....broken down by elevation.  lol j/k

I actually like this idea as well...would certainly add value to an already great, informative place.  

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

We can probably handle the rare case of someone acting out with mute/remove.  But if we want to add an additional layer of security we could create a forum email list and send the code that way to avoid imposters. 

I think anyone who has made significant contributions to our region should be invited.  Just my 2 cents. 

It's all fun and games until DT comes in and gets in an all-out brawl with Ji

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Could be fun/informative to do a weekly "broad pattern check-in/analysis" roundtable Zoom meeting during the winter months. Have a few speakers and everyone else on mute unless there's a Q+A period. This being of course in addition to a general "meet and great/hangout" Zoom. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This could take off into as many different angles as we want if there is interest. Do we think it’s necessary to create a member email list to send the login invite/code to avoid random trolls?  If so setting that up is step 1.  

This is a solid idea. I've heard good things about groups.io - We can also enable a waiting room to screen people as they enter. But probably easiest just to have a semi-secure place for people to check for the passcode. There's a decent amount of security options in Zoom too - (waiting room, passcode, authentication required etc). 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 6:04 PM, Kmlwx said:

Could be fun/informative to do a weekly "broad pattern check-in/analysis" roundtable Zoom meeting during the winter months. Have a few speakers and everyone else on mute unless there's a Q+A period. This being of course in addition to a general "meet and great/hangout" Zoom. 

This is exactly how I think these should go. Have a few people lined up from the forum with a topic or two to discuss and maybe we bring in some "guest" speakers from other sub-forums on occasion. Finish it off with a Q+A session, or people can post questions in chat that can then be answered as we go.

On 11/3/2021 at 6:04 PM, Kmlwx said:

Oh no lol. Everyone needs an opportunity to say something stupid. I wouldn’t want to miss my chance :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

56 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Sooo...we doing this?

Yes!

31 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I'm waiting for instructions. I can setup if needed at any time. 

Sorry I’ve been really busy lately. But I think the first step would be to create a member email list we can use to send the invite link to the meetings. This would cut down on the chances of getting trolls if we post the link publicly.  I can put that together. People can email me at [email protected].  I can share the list with you when it’s time to set up a meeting. 

25 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Seemed like the plan was to wait for an event? I’d be happy to hop on at any point though - been looking forward to meeting people.

Yes but I think having a preliminary meeting just to work out any kinks and give people a chance to say hi is a good idea. And there is always something to discuss wrt weather. 

• Like 1