• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid Atlantic sub Video chats

psuhoffman

Who would be interested in having some mid Atlantic sub forum video chats this winter, especially before a storm threat. @BTRWx's Thanks Giving reached out to me with what I thought was a good idea and wanted to know if I would help.  

We were thinking Microsoft teams as a platform since it allows 300 participants and saves the chat and files shared to view later. 

We had discussed maybe a meet and greet meeting at the start of the season then we could hold meetings for specific threats or on the anniversary of major events for anyone that wants to reminisce. 

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Who would be interested in having some mid Atlantic sub forum video chats this winter, especially before a storm threat. @BTRWx's Thanks Giving reached out to me with what I thought was a good idea and wanted to know if I would help.  

We were thinking Microsoft teams as a platform since it allows 300 participants and saves the chat and files shared to view later. 

We had discussed maybe a meet and greet meeting at the start of the season then we could hold meetings for specific threats or on the anniversary of major events for anyone that wants to reminisce. 

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

I think a Google meet would be better. My only experience with Microsoft had only the speaker visible. 

I have no experience with zoom.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think a Google meet would be better. My only experience with Microsoft had only the speaker visible. 

I have no experience with zoom.

I am open to any format. But I think we should discuss the advantages/disadvantages to each.  

The limitations with google are a cap of only 100 participants and a limit to 60 mins per meeting. I am not as familiar otherwise as with other platforms.

Zoom also has a cap of 100 and chats are lost when you close.  Zoom probably has the easiest interface Imo  

Microsoft teams has a cap of 300 and saves the chat feature and files shared. There is a way to view multiple participants on Microsoft teams. It’s easier in the app or on desktop. But I do not recommend trying it on a phone through a browser.  So if adding an app is an issue this could be a limitation. 

We are open to ideas and the format is not set in stone. 

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I am open to any format. But I think we should discuss the advantages/disadvantages to each.  

The limitations with google are a cap of only 100 participants and a limit to 60 mins per meeting. I am not as familiar otherwise as with other platforms.

Zoom also has a cap of 100 and chats are lost when you close.  Zoom probably has the easiest interface Imo  

Microsoft teams has a cap of 300 and saves the chat feature and files shared. There is a way to view multiple participants on Microsoft teams. It’s easier in the app or on desktop. But I do not recommend trying it on a phone through a browser.  So if adding an app is an issue this could be a limitation. 

Agree on Zoom vs Teams.  Use both in our company of 180,000 employees.  Routinely have sessions with 70 or more participants.  Zoom has a far more intuitive GUI but Teams is more powerful, IF and/or WHEN you get proficient at it.  

One advantage of Zoom is how easy it is to host and share screens.  With the assumption many here would want to share certain posts and/or articles during a session the ability through Zoom to easily share screens would appear to have the edge compared to Teams.  

13 minutes ago, RDM said:

Agree on Zoom vs Teams.  Use both in our company of 180,000 employees.  Routinely have sessions with 70 or more participants.  Zoom has a far more intuitive GUI but Teams is more powerful, IF and/or WHEN you get proficient at it.  

One advantage of Zoom is how easy it is to host and share screens.  With the assumption many here would want to share certain posts and/or articles during a session the ability through Zoom to easily share screens would appear to have the edge compared to Teams.  

If the cap of 100 isn’t an issue I would agree wrt zoom. Interest level might determine that. If we think we won’t ever have more than 100 logged in then that doesn’t matter. 

11 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I’ve never heard of a time limit for Google meet. I’ve had literally hundreds that have been longer than an hour. I doubt seriously if we ever would have 100 participants in a sub forum video chat. The other stuff you mention, I have no idea on those items.

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’ve never heard of a time limit for Google meet. I’ve had literally hundreds that have been longer than an hour. I doubt seriously if we ever would have 100 participants in a sub forum video chat. The other stuff you mention, I have no idea on those items.

same, my kid is on google meets all damn day long, there is no time limit.

Love this idea, PSU

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Are zoom chats the new radio shows??:ph34r:

I guess that probably would be the end result.  Would add a little more to the experience.  So long as you don't think it's stepping on anyone's toes... @stormtracker?  I probably should have asked and checked first, I am definitely not trying to take anything away from the board...I want this to be something we add to the community here.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

I am the Zoom guru at my firm and have access to unlimited meetings for 300 attendees. Also allows for recording and transcripts. Happy to provide a venue if needed. 

Also @psuhoffman - chats are retained at least in our tier of Zoom. Everything from transcript to chat to video/audio is all stored and can be downloaded as well. 

35 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I am the Zoom guru at my firm and have access to unlimited meetings for 300 attendees. Also allows for recording and transcripts. Happy to provide a venue if needed. 

Thank you…that could definitely change the calculation. If all other factors are equal I do think zoom is the easiest to interact with. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Discord is always an option, as it has built in video calls, but it might be a bit tougher to set up/facilitate. 

Generalizing here - but that would all but eliminate having the older folks on the forum join a video call. Discord is weighted so heavily towards the younger gaming crowd. Again...I am generalizing and I know some older people who do use it and game. Discord would be best for the 30 and under crowd. At this point with COVID and such - you'd be hard pressed to find people who have never heard of Zoom. Even the park police volunteers I work with outside of work (most of them are 60+) have been able to join Zoom calls and be totally fine. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Generalizing here - but that would all but eliminate having the older folks on the forum join a video call. Discord is weighted so heavily towards the younger gaming crowd. Again...I am generalizing and I know some older people who do use it and game. Discord would be best for the 30 and under crowd. At this point with COVID and such - you'd be hard pressed to find people who have never heard of Zoom. Even the park police volunteers I work with outside of work (most of them are 60+) have been able to join Zoom calls and be totally fine. 

This is entirely true, Zoom does seem like the best option.

• Like 1

I'm totally game for this. This would be a fun to test our prior to winter so we can meet and greet. Then during storms, we can have a good meteorological discussion on what's impending. This would be a great way for people to engage in a way that also emphasizes tone, which can be lost in internet discourse. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I'm totally game for this. This would be a fun to test our prior to winter so we can meet and greet. Then during storms, we can have a good meteorological discussion on what's impending. This would be a great way for people to engage in a way that also emphasizes tone, which can be lost in internet discourse. 

How many weenies will @Ji - push off the cliff on these Zoom calls, though ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think the best use would be during an important model run or something.  Have PSU or someone share his screen and they can walk us through how it looks/what they are looking for (probably next winter since this winter will be dominated by the -pna)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

I think the best use would be during an important model run or something.  Have PSU or someone share his screen and they can walk us through how it looks/what they are looking for (probably next winter since this winter will be dominated by the -pna)

At this point it might as well be a symposium!

5 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Would be cool. Moderating it could be a huge challenge!

Yeah, I'm not too familiar, how would moderation/verification go for those calls? It would be a shame if someone joined pretending to be someone else, only to end up being deliberately disruptful. 

• Like 1

Would be nice to keep it to us Mid-Atlantic folks. Of course I know some of the great mets are from outside our region - but it would be nice to have a subforum specific Zoom rather than a full on AmWx free-for-all. 

Expanding it to all of AmWx would be far too difficult to moderate and control entries. As it is - I think a waiting room and passcode could be useful to avoid any trolls from joining. 

• Like 1