National Weather Service Buffalo NY
655 PM EST Wed Dec 22 2021

NYZ002>004-014-230800-
/O.NEW.KBUF.WW.Y.0029.211222T2355Z-211223T1000Z/
Orleans-Monroe-Wayne-Ontario-
Including the cities of Medina, Rochester, Newark,
and Canandaigua

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Lake effect snow. Snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches.
  Winds gusting as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...Orleans, Monroe, Wayne, and Ontario counties.

* WHEN...Until 5 AM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

• Like 2

Just now, Polarbear said:
This  escalated quickly …
National Weather Service Buffalo NY

NYZ002>004-014-230800-
/O.NEW.KBUF.WW.Y.0029.211222T2355Z-211223T1000Z/
Orleans-Monroe-Wayne-Ontario-
Including the cities of Medina, Rochester, Newark,
and Canandaigua

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Lake effect snow. Snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches.
  Winds gusting as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...Orleans, Monroe, Wayne, and Ontario counties.

* WHEN...Until 5 AM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

Ya think? Man, BUF is basically now casting every winter event lately. 

There she goes...

image.thumb.png.5a0ddbdcd57eecf1ede490009c0ebd7d.png

Based on almost every snowfall underperforming here (other than a 5 mile wide WNW lake effect band), I am going to go with a quarter to half inch of snow from tomorrow night's wave. Seems like we get about a fourth of whatever is forecast.

Are those expectations still too high? :P 

Glad you Rochester guys are cashing in...enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

GB is really producing. Could be a nice connection for a bit of a surprise tonight. 

Screenshot_20211222-163238_Chrome.jpg

When I was pIcking my daughter up from pre-K, the NW sky from the 290 was totally dominated by that band off southern Lake Huron. It looked like a total monster.

52 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Heard Spencerport already has 2”. I bet Delta and the airport have 1”+. It’s really coming down now. 

Just took measurements after taking a little cruise around town. Definitely the most snow of the year. Some roads were very snow covered.   I’ve got a solid 3 inches of pretty high ratio stuff on the snowboard.  My snow depth measuring point is showing 4 on the ground. It was holding maybe half inch starting the day and probably had some drifting too. Major over-performer IMBY.  Someone was posting models a few days back showing a narrow south shore special (but mostly in Wayne county)

5195F9B4-1468-4B02-8685-1887F74F5BC8.thumb.jpeg.c999de19627de46a5cd94e3d6dddbbb9.jpeg

1B086308-161C-4B52-90C0-AB90342D7379.thumb.jpeg.fb296eed78ca14daaf3a87307b3df45d.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

Just took measurements after taking a little cruise around town. Definitely the most snow of the year. Some roads were very snow covered.   I’ve got a solid 3 inches of pretty high ratio stuff on the snowboard.  My snow depth measuring point is showing 4 on the ground. It was holding maybe half inch starting the day and probably had some drifting too. Major over-performer IMBY.  Someone was posting models a few days back showing a narrow south shore special (but mostly in Wayne county)

5195F9B4-1468-4B02-8685-1887F74F5BC8.thumb.jpeg.c999de19627de46a5cd94e3d6dddbbb9.jpeg

1B086308-161C-4B52-90C0-AB90342D7379.thumb.jpeg.fb296eed78ca14daaf3a87307b3df45d.jpeg

Thats an awesome fluff bomber, congrats!

• Like 2

I decided to peruse some of the previous discussions from the past. Could go back even more, but just went back to December 2019. Same theme, same discouragement. The Pacific has been destroying our Decembers and much of Januaries. Oh, the things I could have cut and pasted... (Oh, and Syracuse will probably hit the new year with even LESS snowfall than last November/December! lol... Just awful.
Snippets from December 2019
On 12/24/2019 at 2:51 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

This is a long stretch of way above normal temps for late Dec.

This Afternoon
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40.
Christmas Day
Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.
Thursday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45.
Friday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50.
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 44.
Sunday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48.
Monday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38.
This is basically our setup right now. But yes MJO is having a huge influence on our weather, as it did last year. Lots of convection. We have a very strong PV where Alaska has been brutally cold. This leads to the Pacific air dominating the lower 48. There are no mechanisms to bring the cold air to our region. The one good thing is the PV is on our side of the globe, not in Siberia/Russia. 
Image result for + EPO temps

rochesterdave

Posted December 27, 2020
Seriously though, it’s been a tough time to live in Syracuse or Rochester as snow lovers. We do best in deep, cold winters with persistent NW flow- those winters might be gone. This pattern favors transient systems with quick, violent fronts. We need a winter that settles in with a deep eastern trough and an Alaskan ridge. If it wasn’t for blocking (at least that’s something) the raging pacific would be serving up exactly the same as we had last year. And that was bad enough. 
One of these storms should turn at the right longitude. This pattern is also good for a retrograde storm like Tim and I always dream about- get one to spin up in the atlantic then back in to the Adks and stall. Opportunities but these things only leave 50 mile swaths...

IMG_019354.thumb.JPG.7ff1cda27a35df1c6eac9dbbc4862fda.JPG

On 12/27/2020 at 11:55 AM, Thinksnow18 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever looked at 2 weeks of rain in January 

Buffaloweather:

We just had that last January. January 2020 was the 9th warmest in the records.

Freak:

I'm dead serious when I say we should go for the all time least snowiest season on record here in Syracuse because, from the looks of most guidance we may get to mid-January with not much accumulation so Ima start rooting for it, why not, since it doesn't want to snow anymore.

Buffaloweather:

Lots of cutters next 2 weeks. Should be a few really warm days tossed in there compared to average. Feel pretty confident in another above average month in January.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1