• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

2 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Is anyone surprised? This is going to be a total redo of last winter. Us skiers better get our butts out west! 

Last winter was pretty good for skiing in WNY. All trails were open from late Dec-March. This year is starting off better with them opening later this week, but they might have to close mid month or shut down a few trails temporarily.

24 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

It’s pure snow inland. Out in Williamsville and Lancaster it’s moderately snowing. Too bad it wasn’t 5 degrees colder. And as for the GFS…the Euro is not on the same page…wondering which will be correct 

Hanging just north of me, took a quick lap up route 5 downtown, light mix when I drove through but roads had a slushy coating on them so must have came down good for a bit at some point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flying MXZ said:

Last winter was great around here.  I guess I'm glad I live 2.5 hours from Syracuse.  Hard to believe it was that different.

Truly it was. Elevation is key.. especially in these maritime-puke Winters of late.

Winter here the past two Winters has featured 40 to 50 inches below normal snowfall and rapid melts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Last winter was pretty good for skiing in WNY. All trails were open from late Dec-March. This year is starting off better with them opening later this week, but they might have to close mid month or shut down a few trails temporarily.

I feel like you’re basing all your rosy opinions off of the hills near Holliday Valley. I think we have a single poster who lives down there (vacation home). It’s simply not realistic for the majority of us. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I feel like you’re basing all your rosy opinions off of the hills near Holliday Valley. I think we have a single poster who lives down there (vacation home). It’s simply not realistic for the majority of us. 

It's pretty close to my house, about a 40 minute drive. I go there after work during the weekdays.

Kissing Bridge is closer, about 20-25 minute drive out in Colden. Many times Kissing Bridge has more snow but Holiday has better hills.

Here are KB webcams

https://www.kbski.com/kb-web-cam/

33 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I know last winter wasn't amazing for most of us, but the four week period from January 22 to late February was pretty damn incredible, 50 inches of snow over 4 weeks without a thaw in my backyard.  If you have a job where you can take a last minute day off, there were some all timer days on the slopes last year.  I had phenomenal days at Holiday (lake effect dump on 1/19, they got buried), Bristol, Greek Peak, and Gore.  The Greek Peak day was one of the deepest powder days I've ever had on the East Coast, but you have to be able to adapt on the fly around here.  Some of my friends have to schedule days off months in advance, that doesn't work out well for them... :(   I give last winter a B- overall, but the skiing was pretty great.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I know last winter wasn't amazing for most of us, but the four week period from January 22 to late February was pretty damn incredible, 50 inches of snow over 4 weeks without a thaw in my backyard.  If you have a job where you can take a last minute day off, there were some all timer days on the slopes last year.  I had phenomenal days at Holiday (lake effect dump on 1/19, they got buried), Bristol, Greek Peak, and Gore.  The Greek Peak day was one of the deepest powder days I've ever had on the East Coast, but you have to be able to adapt on the fly around here.  Some of my friends have to schedule days off months in advance, that doesn't work out well for them... :(   I give last winter a B- overall, but the skiing was pretty great.  

Yeah last year was great for slopes. I hate really cold days so it was perfect. It’s only $32 for holiday weekdays 3-10 pm

30 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Does anyone remember when the GFS had the cold bias? I feel like a the Euro and GFS have swapped

Ha! Yup! Your question made me think of another thing about our subforum I am thankful for: We don't have any trolls that "model hug" and post every single model run to fit their agenda of "always cutters and rain" or "non-stop snowstorms." We have such a great group.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

Looks like the southern Tug is getting some good Orographic lift this evening. Wishing I was up there again for this. Via Northernchateau cams, it's looking like there's a good 5 or so inches on the ground with moderate snowfall continuing. 

Per usual, northern Onondaga county riding the line with spits of wet snow showers this evening. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

EPS wasn't as terrible as GEFS are, puts us in battleground for synoptic with favoring the NW viewing areas with SE ridge slowly easing in. It's a good look for Michigan.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

To bad it wont verify for my area.  Although I cant complain I have already had 12" event a several 3-6" events. 

I know it sucks for Eastern Lake  belts........

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

0z GFS for kickoff Monday night… discuss… 

8479F157-7D44-4E88-B783-2A0F961162F2.png

00FB919D-A0DF-4DDF-938E-554E45EF7341.png

Looks like conditions will heavily favor the Patriots with their strong run game and physical offensive and defensive lines. Meanwhile the Bills passing game will likely be significantly affected by snow and strong winds and we can’t depend on our run game against their defense to bail us out. Don’t see how these conditions would help in any way what so ever for the way the Bills are built. They need a dome and that is the only way I would support a new stadium being built. 

• Sad 1