• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

17 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

down to 32 degrees. southwestern blvd is snow covered, just went to get some pizza for lunch

I just drove home from running around this morning. From Walmart on Southwestern all the way to my house it was snowing 1”hr easily with snow full on covering the road, close to 2” on the main roads. Not one plow or salt truck as all and roads were absolutely horrendous. At times it was snowing so hard there were multiple people driving 15-20 mph on Southwestern with their hazard lights on. Multiple spin outs and accidents along my route home. Close to 2” here as well as can barely see the grass.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I just drove home from running around this morning. From Walmart on Southwestern all the way to my house it was snowing 1”hr easily with snow full on covering the road, close to 2” on the main roads. Not one plow or salt truck as all and roads were absolutely horrendous. At times it was snowing so hard there were multiple people driving 15-20 mph on Southwestern with their hazard lights on. Multiple spin outs and accidents along my route home. Close to 2” here as well as can barely see the grass.  

KBUF fail. Broken thermometer and bad forecasting. Where do I apply?

• Haha 2

Congrats to the western New York crew. You’re around 32 with accumulating snow while here in Sizzlecuse we’re in the mid to upper 40s with rain. 
Yeah, that happens every year around here as the cold air get modified by Ontario especially along the lake plain but inland should see something by this evening. Feels like the cold air is rushing in a bit quicker cause I'm down to 36@ already with forecasted temps for now are still right around 40F.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Next shortwave depicted by GOES-16 WV imagery over NE Montana (18Z
Saturday) dives east-southeast across the Great Lakes on Sunday. By
Sunday evening/night, this system will bring a period of light
synoptic precipitation which looks like it will begin as an initial
mix of rain or rain-snow (higher terrain) which should transition
over to all snow for most locations by nightfall. With that said,
thermal profiles are right on the cusp with H850T -4C/-5C per latest
guidance. At this point, thinking it will be just cold enough to
support a very minor snowfall event overnight. This will especially
be the case across the higher terrain. Early estimates for lower
elevations (lake plains) will be an inch or less, with 1-3 inches
across the higher terrain above 1000 feet. The broad and weakening
sfc low will track east-northeast across the region and will be
found on the eastern end of lake Ontario by early Monday morning.
While synoptic snows will diminish with the passage of the front,
cyclonic west to northwest flow and falling H850T to -6C/-7C will
prompt a lake response east and southeast of the Lakes on Monday.

Monday night, there even could be some decent lake effect
accumulations (+4 inches) southeast of Lake Ontario east of
Rochester into Tuesday. Will need to monitor this and will mention
this in the HWO.
  • Like 1

No reason to back down on cold shot around tgiving even though some models have backed off it. Classic wave 2 hit in strat, albeit a bit weaker than it was a week ago. Can see from chart below 2 areas of warming on either side of SPV that elongates it like a hot dog. 

ecmwf-deterministic-nhemi-z30_anom-7280000.thumb.png.683a7304c54a014fc4182efc3aa5b63d.png

The alignment of this wave 2 hit to me correlates well to a solid cold shot coming south out of Canada into the plains then east. Can see the wave 2 amplitude on stratobserve maps

gfs_nh-hgt-w2-60n_20211113.png.45a5afe22d3239f615709e91ca317c4f.png

We also have high latitude blocking going on as well with some -nao action possibly around tgiving as well -AO. I posted this a few days ago that the gfs backed off the eddy heat flux into the strat which decreased -NAM risk. Well it has since brought back the heat flux in response to the wave 2 hit and we now can see -NAM formation near tgiving. 

gfs_nh-ehflx_20211113.png.3d590d7cd66915a015e5b6a5c5f7bafe.png

gfs_nh-namindex_20211113.png.df50195c665be443feada45b087153a8.png

Below is 15 day eps, which will obviously change in some form or another as that far out the wavelengths get smoothed out. As long as that Aleutian low is there, that will teleconnect to a ridge out west or on the west coast which then translates to a trough and nw flow in the east.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-8100800.png

Will make a post early this coming week as what maybe to look for post tgivng into first part of dec

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Sizzlecuse. Subtropical in summer, and maritime in "cool" seasons. There aren't many other locales across the Great Lakes where warm air floods so far inland from the lake to the extent it does here. Right down Northern Onondaga to Mohawk Valley. The opposite cooling effect doesn't happen in the warm seasons.

Truly a maddening place for a cold-weather fan. We took a staff picture outside the other day when it was like 55 degrees and my female colleagues were "soooooo cold." I legit rolled my eyes and joked with them about it being warm. You've got it lucky ladies cuz it's 10 degrees colder everywhere else in the state except Long Island. 

Perhaps we'll get some white rain.

image.png.989c55366f1d2a2d41fbf63bf80095cb.png

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Sizzlecuse. Subtropical in summer, and maritime in "cool" seasons. There aren't many other locales across the Great Lakes where warm air floods so far inland from the lake to the extent it does here. Right down Northern Onondaga to Mohawk Valley. The opposite cooling effect doesn't happen in the warm seasons.

Truly a maddening place for a cold-weather fan. We took a staff picture outside the other day when it was like 55 degrees and my female colleagues were "soooooo cold." I legit rolled my eyes and joked with them about it being warm. You've got it lucky ladies cuz it's 10 degrees colder everywhere else in the state except Long Island. 

Perhaps we'll get some white rain.

image.png.989c55366f1d2a2d41fbf63bf80095cb.png

Look where all the green is lol Lower elevation, valleys, doesn't have much to do with the lake..That's why those are the warmest spots in the summer as well..NY state is like 60% higher elevations, we just aren't one of them lol

Wind direction is from the south...

gfs_mslp_wind_neus_4 (1).png

• Like 1