Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Discobs 2021

George BM

On 11/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, WEATHER53 said:

DCA madness again last night

Everyone else 24-27  DCA 33

Eveyone else dropping hour by hour until dawn  DCA 33 for hours.  Wherever those sensors are is a location prohibitive to accuracy for the area the station is designated to represent The thermos are reading correctly for wherever they  are, it’s wherever they are thats the problem and produces the skewed and non representative  reports. 

Freedom plaza or the Willard are all asphalt buildings and. concrete.  That’s a heat island. DCA has buildings to the west and remainder water or open space. And ,  when Potomac is frozen or very cold, this still happens. 

Did avoid another gross inaccuracy overnight and hit 32 for first time even with all surroundings 5-10 colder.

I have no idea how to do it AND I would shut my mouth forever should the following occur. -Take Logan, La Guardia, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Richmond and Miami.  Do those stations consistently read 5-10 degrees warmer than what is within 1-10 miles of them. I already know the answer for Baltimore is NO

proof would be in that pudding. Heat island comment is a default dismissive attempt to look no further. If DCAs sensors are, for example, out on a overgrown  former parking lot or located very close to the office to allow easy access then that could be an issue. Otherwise it’s kinda down to that the buildings to the west are leaking tremendous warmth because NSE is mostly parkway open space and water. So, where’s the heat? Downtown DC, NYC, surrounded on 4 sides-that’s a heat producer. And, same thing happens when Potomac is frozen even if less dramatic on order if 3-5 and not 5-10 

20 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Did avoid another gross inaccuracy overnight and hit 32 for first time even with all surroundings 5-10 colder.

I have no idea how to do it AND I would shut my mouth forever should the following occur. -Take Logan, La Guardia, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Richmond and Miami.  Do those stations consistently read 5-10 degrees warmer than what is within 1-10 miles of them. I already know the answer for Baltimore is NO

proof would be in that pudding. Heat island comment is a default dismissive attempt to look no further. If DCAs sensors are, for example, out on a overgrown  former parking lot or located very close to the office to allow easy access then that could be an issue. Otherwise it’s kinda down to that the buildings to the west are leaking tremendous warmth because NSE is mostly parkway open space and water. So, where’s the heat? Downtown DC, NYC, surrounded on 4 sides-that’s a heat producer. And, same thing happens when Potomac is frozen even if less dramatic on order if 3-5 and not 5-10 

Andrews was 31.  H2O in Alex was 31.  I was 30.  I don’t know what you are talking about.  We know exactly where the thermometer is, in the middle of a grassy area on the river side of the runways.

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Andrews was 31.  H2O in Alex was 31.  I was 30.  I don’t know what you are talking about.  We know exactly where the thermometer is, in the middle of a grassy area on the river side of the runways.

True....but Nov 20 however....those stations were all in the 20s while DCA still clung to 33.   Andrews 25, I think, so that's 8 degrees right there.  Nat'l Arboretum was 28. DaleCarlia was 27.

I'm not digging into the reasons, wind direction etc, but just to make an honest comparison.

21 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

True....but Nov 20 however....those stations were all in the 20s while DCA still clung to 33.   Andrews 25, I think, so that's 8 degrees right there.  Nat'l Arboretum was 28. DaleCarlia was 27.

I'm not digging into the reasons, wind direction etc, but just to make an honest comparison.

It is pretty easy.  Last night the winds stayed up and kept the atmosphere more mixed.  Therefore there was a more homogeneous temperature distribution.  On the 20th, it was whisper calm, and that is where the river and heat island take over.  The river on the 20th was still 47 degrees at little falls.  

27 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Last night had a range of 27-31  fir tge surfoubds.  Andrews being merely 2 degrees colder is very rare

in all honesty there is nothing fir me to discuss with newcomers or those who have not closely monitored this irregularity for 40 years.  

I noted about 5 other city stations along the east coast.  Show me that they are always 5-10 degrees warmer than 1-10 miles away and I will shut up 

27 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Last night had a range of 27-31  fir the suburbs.  Andrews being merely 2 degrees colder is very rare and you all know that. 

in all honesty there is nothing for  me to discuss with newcomers or those who have not closely monitored this irregularity for 40 years and are wedded to heat island.  

I noted about 5 other city stations along the east coast.  Show me that they are always 5-10 degrees warmer than 1-10 miles away and I will shut up .

if we get a chance like  we do about once every 7 years Please watch DCA during an intense area wide snowstorm. 4” on ground everywhere, snowing moderately, DCA 29 and all others 24/25.  I’ve seen that about 6 times.  Where’s the heat island  when blanketed in snow and snowing moderately or heavier??

kinda being told my eyes are deceiving me so rejecting that as I have for  decades. 

55 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Utterly correct non agenda fact backed observation and exactly how it is Most of the Time  as opposed to last nights exception. Is BWI generally 5-10 degrees warmer than Glen Burnie?  We know the answer 

1 hour ago, WEATHER53 said:

Last night had a range of 27-31  fir the suburbs.  Andrews being merely 2 degrees colder is very rare and you all know that. 

in all honesty there is nothing for  me to discuss with newcomers or those who have not closely monitored this irregularity for 40 years and are wedded to heat island.  

I noted about 5 other city stations along the east coast.  Show me that they are always 5-10 degrees warmer than 1-10 miles away and I will shut up .

if we get a chance like  we do about once every 7 years Please watch DCA during an intense area wide snowstorm. 4” on ground everywhere, snowing moderately, DCA 29 and all others 24/25.  I’ve seen that about 6 times.  Where’s the heat island  when blanketed in snow and snowing moderately or heavier??

kinda being told my eyes are deceiving me so rejecting that as I have for  decades. 

So I seriously doubt that there is anything that anyone could say to convince you that there isn’t some kind of conspiracy at DCA, but I urge you to go browse the New England forum and see how they feel about the observations at Logan (especially compared to Blue Hill Observatory). Or you can check CWG’s comparisons of their downtown station vs DCA, which are generally within 1-2 degrees of each other. People have been observing the heat island effect for years, the data is all there for you to find!

And—you say your eyes are deceiving you but you don’t actually live by DCA. So what personal observations are you basing this off of? Do you have an independent sensor in Crystal City or on The Wharf? Could you share these observations so we know how your eyes are deceiving you?

• mappy unpinned this topic