Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2021

George BM

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

This defense needs to figure out how to get their responsibilities right. Just ridiculous.

Big plays have killed then all year. They played pretty solid overall but for 2 big plays. Sort of like the dolphins game. 

Opponents get tough now. Going to find out how flukey the 7-3 record is real soon. 

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Wow. Tyler Huntley game ball

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

I was about to turn it off then I was like wth. Crazy.

After Dalton burned us again I just knew it was over...and then Huntley hit Sammy deep inside the 5 and I was like 

I'll admit that when I heard Lamar was out I had kinda written this game off! And then faith and favor once again came in and we pull off yet another improbable victory. I'm telling ya there's something with this team!

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Big plays have killed then all year. They played pretty solid overall but for 2 big plays. Sort of like the dolphins game. 

Opponents get tough now. Going to find out how flukey the 7-3 record is real soon. 

Yes December is gonna be pivotal. Very interested to see if we heat up in December--as Harbaugh teams tend to do (heck even just last year...took a 5-game winning streak into the postseason!) And of course 2012 also had moments like today (i.e. 4th and 29, lol)...but I don't think the wins were THIS crazy, haha So...is the 7-3 start flukey...or "meant to be"? We shall see!

On 10/31/2021 at 10:23 PM, George BM said:

Forecast Discussion

November 24 2021 1:53PM EST

A late November 1950-like storm is beginning to take shape as the strong ridge of high pressure that built up over western North America is forcing a deep trough with arctic air southwards from the Arctic and into the region this afternoon accompanied by a strong shortwave riding the polar jet stream. At the same time a healthy southern stream system is currently moving off the Carolina coastline. These two systems will phase with each other over the next 24 hours or so leading to explosive deepening of the coastal low during that time. In fact, most models have the low deepening from 1001mb as of 18z (1pm local time) to near 950mb by 18z tomorrow when the low will be centered over the Delmarva peninsula. This will be a high to extreme impact event for the entire region.

Through tonight:

Snow showers will start to develop over the towards dusk as an increasing S/SErly flow aloft brings in moisture over the colder airmass. Temperatures will fall through the 30’s and into the 20’s by 00z. As the night wears on, snow and wind will increase in intensity as temps fall into the teens. A Blizzard Warning will go into effect at 8z when winds will start to frequently gust over 35mph with snowfall rates surpassing 2”/hr leading to visibility dropping to below a quarter mile.

Thanksgiving Day and night:

This will be a very memorable day weather-wise. Temperatures will stay in the lower 10’s along and west of I-95, perhaps even dropping into the upper single digits towards the 1-81 corridor leading to wind chills near 10 to 15 below zero. There will be a sharp temperature gradient probably greatest over the Chesapeake Bay with temps along the western shore not getting above the lower 20’s while temps over the Delmarva get well up into the 40’s to perhaps the lower 50’s with precip becoming all rain in that region during the day. For the rest of the region, however, extremely heavy snowfall and damaging winds will be the main story. With the warmer than normal western Atlantic waters and the very impressive dynamics of the storm, liquid equivalent rates may get as high as 0.5-0.75”/hr. With strong lift through the DGZ layer (~ -12 to -18C) snow to liquid equivalent ratios will be in the 15-20 to 1 range. As a result, snowfall rates may exceed 10”/hr in the heaviest snow bands. At the same time winds will gust over 70mph during the day with 100-120+kt low-level winds in place around the western side of the low. Once the low starts to pull away from the region during the overnight hours 5 to 8 feet of snow should be commonplace with 15+ft drifts.

Found an ai text generator to add to the forecast and it made this. A little stunned how well it replicated the text.

Black Friday and the weekend:

Once again the strong wind gusts will continue and it will not be out of the ordinary to have winds gusting over 50mph with 50+ mph gusts as high as 70mph for at least a couple of hours along the coast. Winds from the north during the day will increase into the 30-40mph range with gusts near 50mph in the evening. Friday night through Sunday morning should be the time for any lingering tree limbs to come down so make sure you give the snow plows plenty of room to work along and down the blocks.

During the day Saturday all of the coastal counties (as well as far SE Mass) will have a chance of seeing a period of flurries, but any snow is expected to be very light and brief. An icy mix is possible along the coast, but the best chance for frozen precipitation will be for southern New England. As the storm pulls out during the afternoon, high temperatures will be in the mid to upper 30’s with a frigid wind chills in the 20’s.

Sunday will be cloudy with scattered light snow showers. The temps should be able to get above freezing in the afternoon. Any accumulating snowfall will be mainly confined to the interior and especially the northern third of New England. Any slush/wet spots on roadways will quickly freeze and snow covered surfaces will become treacherous.

Following the storm winds will continue to be a problem
  • Like 1

In-laws decided to have the Thanksgiving feast pre-made and delivered this year. I'll be making one of my family's traditional desserts, and there's another one or two traditional sides that we'll be making today or tomorrow, but otherwise it's all going to be prepared for us.

I'm a little bummed, if I'm honest! I get the idea behind doing it that way, but I've always felt that the cooking is more of an event than the eating.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

In-laws decided to have the Thanksgiving feast pre-made and delivered this year. I'll be making one of my family's traditional desserts, and there's another one or two traditional sides that we'll be making today or tomorrow, but otherwise it's all going to be prepared for us.

I'm a little bummed, if I'm honest! I get the idea behind doing it that way, but I've always felt that the cooking is more of an event than the eating.

Sounds lovely to me. I am not a very good cook, I've only made a real Thanksgiving dinner once. We have friends coming Thursday, and the wife is doing all the heavy lifting on the food. We are smoking the bird. 

Try and enjoy all the same! 

31 minutes ago, mattie g said:

We usually host about 15 at Deep Creek but we're going up to Long Island this year for it.  My partner's sister wanted to get it catered but I was adamant about cooking everything.  I love planning the menu, cooking all day, and enjoying the conversation/laughter in the kitchen.  That plus a few glasses of wine while cooking is always fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Sounds lovely to me. I am not a very good cook, I've only made a real Thanksgiving dinner once. We have friends coming Thursday, and the wife is doing all the heavy lifting on the food. We are smoking the bird. 

Try and enjoy all the same! 

I love to cook (and I'm halfway decent at it, if I do say so myself!), so I really enjoy that part of Thanksgiving. I might just sneak in some random menu item that I'll just have to do for myself. :lol: I'll definitely enjoy the day though!

50 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

You've never had turkey until it's been fried properly!  It's a PIA and potentially unsafe if you don't use common sense but wow the flavor is out of this world.  Not as healthy but hey it's the time of the year to drink, be merry and gain a few which we quickly lose when working outside anyhow. :D

I've fried turkey a number of times. I really like it, and I've definitely preferred it to some other turkeys I've had in the past.

I've also cooked whole and spatchcocked turkeys on the Big Green Egg. I personally like the spatchcocked bird much better, as it cooks really evenly and a lot more quickly.

38 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We usually host about 15 at Deep Creek but we're going up to Long Island this year for it.  My partner's sister wanted to get it catered but I was adamant about cooking everything.  I love planning the menu, cooking all day, and enjoying the conversation/laughter in the kitchen.  That plus a few glasses of wine while cooking is always fun.

That sounds fantastic!

59 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

You've never had turkey until it's been fried properly!  It's a PIA and potentially unsafe if you don't use common sense but wow the flavor is out of this world.  Not as healthy but hey it's the time of the year to drink, be merry and gain a few which we quickly lose when working outside anyhow. :D

We are smoking, not deep frying. Something new my husband wants to try with his smoker. We shall see!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mappy said:

We are smoking, not deep frying. Something new my husband wants to try with his smoker. We shall see!

I smoke our turkey on my Green Egg.  Always comes out nice.  One lesson I learned the first year, butter under the skin and on the skin itself will keep it from retreating.  Also, I recommend brining it.

Just now, JB Fins said:

I smoke our turkey on my Green Egg.  Always comes out nice.  One lesson I learned the first year, butter under the skin and on the skin itself will keep it from retreating.  Also, I recommend brining it.

Thank you!

He's use a RecTec pellet smoker, and he's already got his brine tub ready to go. Ill mention the butter thing!

• Like 1

Not much bio information about Doug Hill on the net, but I saw this article, and think most AmWx members would like to read it:

https://www.somdnews.com/recorder/news/local/veteran-broadcaster-hill-makes-the-switch-from-weather-to-the-ministry/article_7694b20a-7c43-587c-98c4-01f39d2dbf04.html

Youngsters note that Mr. Hill didn't have a college degree, and even with the USAF, (one of the biggest names in weather), he was not assigned to a weather detail. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

100%. It always bothered me as more and made stores opened on Thanksgiving. We have more than enough days to shop. There aren’t that many days like Thanksgiving. 

Totally agree as well!  I thought it was bad years ago when an occasional store was open on Thanksgiving Day...and then as you say, more and more have been doing so since.

refuse to do any kind of shopping on Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I do everything I can to have what I need (for baking, cooking, etc.) beforehand.  And if I happen forget something (usually really minor anyhow), well then I figure that's too bad, I still won't go out and get it on the holiday itself.

• Like 2

• mappy unpinned this topic