• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2021

George BM

I love how the guesses in the snowfall contest thread fluctuate in response the most recent long-range runs/discussions. If you were to do an analysis of the guesses and compare them to 24 hours worth of ensemble runs, you'd probably see a pretty close correlation between low guesses and bad ensemble looks/analysis and high guesses and good ensemble looks/analysis.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I love how the guesses in the snowfall contest thread fluctuate in response the most recent long-range runs/discussions. If you were to do an analysis of the guesses and compare them to 24 hours worth of ensemble runs, you'd probably see a pretty close correlation between low guesses and bad ensemble looks/analysis and high guesses and good ensemble looks/analysis.

This happens every year, people edit up and down week-to-week based on model runs. :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, yoda said:

Cool, thanks for the info!!  Unfortunately it's at the peak around 4AM, but I might try to drag myself out of bed to check it out anyhow.  Hopefully will be cleared out mostly by then.  I read that it's not "total", but still like 97%.

• Like 2

If anyone's awake and unencumbered by cloud cover, the eclipse is well-worth looking at.  Even with the light pollution I can see the Seven Sisters without need for binoculars, and for a time they were sitting right next to the moon.

Edit:  right when it's about to hit 97% a thin band of high clouds is getting ready to obscure it.

18 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Didn't have time to setup anything fancy - and my telescope was poorly collimated. But here's mine! 

IMG_20211119_045332_584.jpg

Very nice!  Interesting how yours has a "rotated" perspective from mine.

Another interesting thing I noticed is how there is a nearly straight line where the penumbral shadow ended (where it gets very bright white at the edge).

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Good thing the national media alerted the whole country to the storm that was gonna totally disrupt the holiday. Good idea to do it about 10 days prior also. Everyone knows how reliable weather models and forecasting is 10 days out.

i know. so funny.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I saw this on several media outlets and was thinking WTF, that’s a long way away to make such a bold prediction. I think one was titled “massive storm to affect holiday travel” and I know it was in one of the DC outlets. 

They were still talking about all these weather disruptions last night on NBC nightly news and I just can’t figure out what they’re talking about lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

They were still talking about all these weather disruptions last night on NBC nightly news and I just can’t figure out what they’re talking about lol. 

Doesn't matter. It drives views and clicks, and people will forget about it as soon as the next BrEaKiNg NeWs!!1! hits.

3 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Very nice!  Interesting how yours has a "rotated" perspective from mine.

Another interesting thing I noticed is how there is a nearly straight line where the penumbral shadow ended (where it gets very bright white at the edge).

Was yours via a telescope? That may have been a factor. Also mine was just my phone held up to eyepiece…so I may have been holding it at an improper angle ;) 

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Good thing the national media alerted the whole country to the storm that was gonna totally disrupt the holiday. Good idea to do it about 10 days prior also. Everyone knows how reliable weather models and forecasting is 10 days out.

my wife was worrying about our son's flight home from college being disrupted on Tuesday due to the "massive storm" a few days back and I said..."um, what"? And it took a minute to drill down to where that information was bubbling up from. 

12 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Any Wheel of Time readers on here? I got bogged down around book 7 or 8 and never finished the series (other than reading Wikipedia to see how it ended up). But the Amazon series dropped today - first three episodes anyway. Guess I will give it a watch to see how they tackled the adaptation at the outset. 

I have not read the books, but early reviews of the show were not so great. hope you enjoy it though!

• mappy unpinned this topic