Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2021 General Discussion

cyclone77

3 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Nice! Over-performed slightly from all the guidance I saw.

Certainly overperformed here. Ended last season with a 4.4" snow storm on April 20/21st and then now getting a 4.0" snow storm to start a new season on November 27th. Pretty nice. We had a few slushy tents of an inch earlier in November but this is real Winter wonderland stuff.

• Like 2

Finished with a total fall of 4.1" of snow with 0.42" liquid equivalent. Snow did compact a little overnight as well as fall off the trees somewhat but still absolutely gorgeous scenes this morning. I November Winter wonderland to be sure.  It was a general 2 to 4" snowfall for the Detroit area with the heaviest swath of 4 to 4.5" along i94 from ARB-DTW

FB_IMG_1638120026080.jpg

FB_IMG_1638120050790.jpg

FB_IMG_1638120066853.jpg

• Like 4

@michsnowfreak

NAM caught on last-minute with a slug of moisture blossoming in NOH and coming our way before sliding east. DTX mentioned the convective nature of this final batch of plaster. I arrived back from travels to Frankenmuth just after it had ended so I missed out on seeing those more impressive rates. Still, saw an entire day of steady snow falling and temps well below freezing. Really, you would have thought it was January. Appreciate your photos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

@michsnowfreak

NAM caught on last-minute with a slug of moisture blossoming in NOH and coming our way before sliding east. DTX mentioned the convective nature of this final batch of plaster. I arrived back from travels to Frankenmuth just after it had ended so I missed out on seeing those more impressive rates. Still, saw an entire day of steady snow falling and temps well below freezing. Really, you would have thought it was January. Appreciate your photos.

I finished with 0.42" liquid in the 4.1" snowfall. Model qpf ranged from 0.1-0.25" leading up to it. So I consider it an overperformer for sure. How did Frankenmuth do..maybe an inch? Awesome time to be up there.

Guest mchenrysnow
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

This will be only the 3rd time in the past 25 years that Chicago will finish November with less than 30" of precip on the year.  The other 2 years that it happened were 2005 and 2012.

I've recorded 23.01" of rain in McHenry this year. Severe drought continues. 

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I finished with 0.42" liquid in the 4.1" snowfall. Model qpf ranged from 0.1-0.25" leading up to it. So I consider it an overperformer for sure. How did Frankenmuth do..maybe an inch? Awesome time to be up there.

1/2" only while we were there (a little bit disappointing tbh). They may have gotten more later on, idk.

Detroit finishes November with 7.1" of snow, which ties with 1972 for the 15th snowiest November on record. Through the 26th only 0.9" of snow had fallen. Temperatures finished colder than average with precipitation below average, but neither made it anywhere near their respective top 20 list. 

I finished with 6.6" snow.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Detroit finishes November with 7.1" of snow, which ties with 1972 for the 15th snowiest November on record. Through the 26th only 0.9" of snow had fallen. Temperatures finished colder than average with precipitation below average, but neither made it anywhere near their respective top 20 list. 

I finished with 6.6" snow.

Did some flash research after you posted that.  Chicago will finish without measurable snow in November (only a T), making it the first time on record that Chicago will go without measurable snow and Detroit will have 6"+ in November.  As you might expect, the two cities typically follow each other somewhat closely... sucky Novembers tend to be sucky for both, good Novembers tend to be good for both, etc.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Did some flash research after you posted that.  Chicago will finish without measurable snow in November (only a T), making it the first time on record that Chicago will go without measurable snow and Detroit will have 6"+ in November.  As you might expect, the two cities typically follow each other somewhat closely... sucky Novembers tend to be sucky for both, good Novembers tend to be good for both, etc.

Interesting data, I just looked it up and yes typically the 2 cities follow each other. I looked up all of the Novembers without measurable snow in Detroit, and only one of them had meaningful snowfall at Chicago, 1896 with 4.2".

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Chicago IL
127 PM CST Wed Dec 1 2021 /227 PM EST Wed Dec 1 2021/

...A Look Back at the Climate for Meteorological Fall (September,
October, November) 2021 for Chicago and Rockford...

At Chicago, the average high temperature for the fall season was
64.9 degrees, which is 2.7 degrees above the 1991 to 2020
average. The average low temperature was 48.6 degrees, which is
3.1 degrees above normal. The mean temperature for the season was
56.8 degrees, which is 2.9 degrees above normal. A total of 7.71
inches of precipitation were recorded during the season, which is
1.33 inches below normal.

Records established or tied during the fall months:

The fall season of 2021 ranks as tied with 1927 and 1914 for the
8th warmest on record dating back to 1872.

September: Tied with 1925 for the 5th warmest September on record
since 1871.

October: Tied 9th warmest October on record since 1872.
* Record daily warmest minimum temperature of 70 degrees on the
 10th.
* Record daily precipitation of 1.85 inches on the 24th.

November: 8th driest November on record since 1872 with 0.71
inches of precipitation.

At Rockford, the average high temperature was 66.2 degrees, which
is 4.6 degrees above normal. The average low temperature was 44.1
degrees, which is 2.1 degrees above normal. The mean temperature
for the season was 55.1 degrees, which is 3.3 degrees above
normal. A total of 6.27 inches of precipitation was recorded
this past fall, which is 2.25 inches below normal.

Records established or tied during the fall months:

The fall season of 2021 ranks as the 8th warmest on record dating
back to 1905.

September: 9th warmest and 7th driest September on record since
* Tied record daily warmest maximum temperature of 93 degrees on
  the 19th.
* Record daily maximum temperature of 90 degrees on the 27th.

October: 6th warmest October on record since 1905 with 57.9
degrees.
* Record daily warmest minimum temperature of 67 degrees on the
  2nd.
* Tied record daily warmest minimum temperature of 67 degrees on
  the 10th.

November: Tied 2nd driest November on record since 1905 with 0.38
inches of precipitation.

$$

KJB