Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
George’s official winter forecast for the Boston area

George001

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Are you including So New Hampshire, Central and Western Ma?

Everyone knows how I feel about the winter in our region...I have clogged up the threads b*tching about it for the better part of 2 months. lol But I can not objectively claim that this season was a region wide ratter...because it was not.

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Below normal snowfall and above average warmth equates to an F- grade from me...so we will just have to disagree on the grade.  A D grade in my book is still a rat of a winter...

Didn’t you get over a foot of snow in the Jan blizzard? I consider the difference between a bad winter and a true ratter to be no storms with a foot or more of snow. That’s the difference between say 2018-2019, which sucked but had one storm with over a foot of snow in my area, and 2019-2020 which was a true ratter. Also, it’s bowling ball season. We still have time for another blizzard, which could change the overall grade of the winter. I read that 1996-1997 had like 20 inches of snow the ENTIRE WINTER in Boston, until the early spring April fools blizzard brought the seasonal total up from ratter to average.

Just now, George001 said:

Didn’t you get over a foot of snow in the Jan blizzard? I consider the difference between a bad winter and a true ratter to be no storms with a foot or more of snow. That’s the difference between say 2018-2019, which sucked but had one storm with over a foot of snow in my area, and 2019-2020 which was a true ratter. 

Yes, BUT the winter still was awful. 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

20-20? I had 51"....no way is that a ratter. 15-16" we had like high 30's...not as bad as those seasons that I mentioned. 1999-2000 was in the 40s.

You put more emphasis on snow totals rather than cold. I love cold weather so I factor that into the grade. 

• 1 month later...

My winter forecast ended up being a fail. There were some warning signs but I don’t know how the polar vortex was able to deepen so much. It was record strength, which screwed us late winter. This winter was decent in my area because of the blizzard, but pretty much everywhere outside SE Mass it was bad. I know the solar was more active than expected, but I would think to get the polar vortex to deepen so much it would take something extreme to do that. Maybe the volcanic activity earlier in the year? I read that the year after a big volcanic eruption there is evidence suggesting increased probability of a positive NAO. I hope the polar vortex shatters into a billion pieces next year.