• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wdrag

Continuation of the colder departures further to the south theme. The departures yesterday were colder near DC than New England. We have seen this temperature departure pattern frequently this year. 

11-3 departures 

CAR.…-2

BOS….-3

ISP…….-5

NYC…..-6

DCA……-8

Next several days more of the same

55039471-DCEF-40DC-BBA4-EA08343B9016.thumb.png.ca97c63ac17588bf89731a55ce67868e.png

Year to date temperature departures 

F724C890-35B4-42E8-BAF2-CC964760835A.thumb.png.0c83f0d6bba2d70c46791c7e6e317ed8.png

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Low here is 27 this morning.  Temps down to between 20 and 25 up near your place.

Thanks!  I went there yesterday and saw heavy frost everywhere and it was so thick it looked like snow had fallen.  It didn't melt until after 10 am!

This should finally get rid of the bugs and the rag weed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

35 at the wantagh meso, so I’m sure frost verifies on the south shore of Nassau. There wasn’t any yet when I left for work on the uws at 445. Temps fell an additional 2-3 degrees after I left which should have made the difference 

Patchy frost at best type morning in or immediately near NYC. Saw frost on cars parked along Bronx Park E along/near NY Botanical Garden. A block away from the park, nothing.  Drove through Pelham Bay Park and saw some patchy frost, then into dtwn New Rochelle where I saw none. If you're block is leafy enough it pushes you over the edge

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Friday night will be the coldest of this stretch. Widespread 20s likely under ideal raditional cooling.

I'm going to reclassify the tristate area as part of the southeast since we can't see these amazing northern lights displays that people in new england have been seeing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

What happens with the SPV next few weeks will probably determine how much blocking we get from later November into December. 

Will be interesting for sure, some are saying the SPV stays strong through the end of the month, some saying it weakens. I’m not buying the EPS +PNA spike in the long range. First off, the EPS has a history of pumping phantom +PNAs in the long range only to back off as we get closer. The GEFS are already backing off the PNA. Second, this isn’t last year where the Niña never coupled. We now have a very well coupled, strengthening La Niña in place along with a strong -PDO and -PMM. I very seriously doubt any extended +PNA

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

25 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Will be interesting for sure, some are saying the SPV stays strong through the end of the month, some saying it weakens. I’m not buying the EPS +PNA spike in the long range. First off, the EPS has a history of pumping phantom +PNAs in the long range only to back off as we get closer. The GEFS are already backing off the PNA. Second, this isn’t last year where the Niña never coupled. We now have a very well coupled, strengthening La Niña in place along with a strong -PDO and -PMM. I very seriously doubt any extended +PNA

I think the models are going for a ridge over Western North America mid-November due to the MJO 5 La Niña standing wave. November is one of those months that convection near the Maritime Continent can force a ridge in that area. But it’s really uncertain how strong or long such a pattern would last. For later November into December, the blocking will probably determined by the strength of the SPV. And we know how uncertain these model SPV forecasts can be beyond the 6-10 day period. Our weather patterns from last November through the winter were very SPV driven. The very strong SPV in November lead to the record warmth. Then the SPV weakening was associated with the mid-December snowstorm. This was followed by record warmth on Christmas with the SPV rebound. Our best stretch of winter was in February following the major SSW.

FAD8BB22-0E8E-4802-BC1A-9988782E6F45.thumb.jpeg.71e5a4b025b2a104ce3585a870b9d416.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1