• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22 Short/Medium Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

thought the same. Can't remember the last wrapped bomb.

12z GFS still amped still wet and incredibly icy for portions of NE IL (still a week out and as others above have said we havent seen a wrapped up bomb in a long time) 

As depicted right now, it’s definitely not a wrapped up bomb.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Hoping for the seasonal trend of a shift south over time.  Unfortunately if it starts south now, it will probably keep right on going south until like the last storm I am missed to the south.

The most probable disappointing outcome will be either a strong miss NW or a much weaker miss SE.  It just doesn’t seem to have the amount of cold behind it compared to last time.

5 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Everyone ignoring what the Euro is showing next week??

Euro Ensembles favor the main cold dump to go further west, setting up SW flow over our area.   There will be some cold air lurking but signs point to it being shunted west

• Like 1

Those that are buying into the warm up next week, look at the difference between the Eruo and GFS.  Night and day compared to each other.  Euro says winter holds strong through next week. GFS says Winter is over.  Curious what the Mets have to say about this?? 

EPS have been very flip-floppy. Just a day or so ago it was like the GEFS. And even so, it’s still not a ‘winter holds strong’ look.

I think the ensembles look interesting going forward. Both the gefs and especially the eps have higher heights building in Alaska and NW Canada in the medium range. That would push/bleed cold air into the SE ridge. The red colors on the height anomaly maps don't always mean warm at the surface in a pattern like that, especially the more north you go. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Insane moisture for trough in the extended, pwats off the charts

20220214_163945.jpg

Usual disclaimer, it's the 18Z GFS at >200hours but that run verbatim would be another significant ice storm somewhere in the sub. Maybe third time's the charm for those of us getting missed again this week? At any rate, it would be nice to start eating away at the precip deficit here as we head into spring.

Dreaming of :twister:with a surface pattern like that about 10 weeks from now.

Heavy rain doesn’t do us here in MI thumb much good this time of year. We have way to much frost in the ground for much of it to find its way into the ground unfortunately. We live on a small 120 acre farm, it’s my in-laws, we built our  house on the far corner years ago and my son and I help my father in law farm this and around a additional 150 acres that he rents. This 120 is tiled but the rented land isn’t unfortunately. This past Fall was pretty wet out this way but it’s been dry since late November.