Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22 Short/Medium Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

1 minute ago, Baum said:

worrying about the future can make you forget to enjoy the present.  Beautiful light snowfall here in the early morning. Been a nice clipper train over the past 48 hours.

Definitely need to appreciate the here and now

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baum said:

worrying about the future can make you forget to enjoy the present.  Beautiful light snowfall here in the early morning. Been a nice clipper train over the past 48 hours.

It's all fun and games to me at this point. I think I've finally hit that point in my weenie character arc where even little clippers like this truly make me satisfied, at least for a while. That said, the 11th of February is my birthday so you know I'm rooting for being snowed in the days before

7 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

The long range 6z GFS had a few more chances towards the end of its run too. It was also trying to rebuild convection in the Western Pac at the end:

gfs_chi200_global_33.png

Strat still looks interesting in the long range:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761175145b842132325bca

Nothing screams SSW, but there is some warming on the GFS. I'm sure the severe fans would love a SSWE around Feb 23, lol. 
 I'll be honest, normally I'm ready for spring by mid March, but if 2011 style severe is on the table for spring, yes, bring on the strat. warming and spring blocking. 

The only saving grace during next month would be a SSWE like what the Tennessee Valley forums just discussed about the long range 06z GFS this morning.

11 minutes ago, Spartman said:

The only saving grace during next month would be a SSWE like what the Tennessee Valley forums just discussed this morning.

I would be shocked if we got a SSW event this year.   The stratospheric vortex has been very resilient and has stayed stable despite multiple pulses of upward energy from the troposphere.   Also the GFS has tried multiple times in the long range to break down the vortex only to back off

• Like 1

After my post late last week, there's certainly been more volatility out later in the ensemble runs, particularly on the EPS. Perhaps this is partially related to the MJO being stuck in the COD, reducing medium range predictability
That would be due to several of the MJO phases (especially when MJO wave has higher amplitude) have well correlated mid level pattern configurations associated with them in DJF and JFM.

Just the past two days, the EPS has alternated from a not great look late in the run, to serviceable/not bad last night, to objectively bad today. It's a note of caution about the lower predictability anyway that far out. Meanwhile the GEFS has seemingly been more stable later in the run and hasn't backed off -EPO/-WPO/-PNA. I know the EPS generally verifies better than the GEFS but I wonder if more stable/persistence is the way to go for a bit.

The window of favorability is still there in the first week of February, but it's far from a sure thing to benefit any given part of the subforum. The nature of the pattern with a -PNA trough digging into the southwest and downstream ridge amplification could be overamped, but the hope is the heights could be suppressed enough by the TPV near Hudson Bay to avoid a warm cutter.

There's been a signal on some of the operational runs out toward and beyond 10 days of larger storms that would fit the pattern thoughts, so I'd say give a few more days to monitor the signal on the ensembles before getting too concerned about what the op runs are showing. After the first week of February, it's really low confidence in the way things are headed since the ensemble means are quite divergent at the end of their ranges and the teleconnection forecasts are also quite divergent on the EPS and GEFS.

Until our potential favorable window, looks like we'll be in a mostly quiet period away from the LES belts and watching that east coast beast late this week. I remain cautiously optimistic in getting a good storm during early Feb.

Interested in seeing thoughts from other long range gurus/enthusiasts on here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

After my post late last week, there's certainly been more volatility out later in the ensemble runs, particularly on the EPS. Perhaps this is partially related to the MJO being stuck in the COD, reducing medium range predictability
That would be due to several of the MJO phases (especially when MJO wave has higher amplitude) have well correlated mid level pattern configurations associated with them in DJF and JFM.

Just the past two days, the EPS has alternated from a not great look late in the run, to serviceable/not bad last night, to objectively bad today. It's a note of caution about the lower predictability anyway that far out. Meanwhile the GEFS has seemingly been more stable later in the run and hasn't backed off -EPO/-WPO/-PNA. I know the EPS generally verifies better than the GEFS but I wonder if more stable/persistence is the way to go for a bit.

The window of favorability is still there in the first week of February, but it's far from a sure thing to benefit any given part of the subforum. The nature of the pattern with a -PNA trough digging into the southwest and downstream ridge amplification could be overamped, but the hope is the heights could be suppressed enough by the TPV near Hudson Bay to avoid a warm cutter.

There's been a signal on some of the operational runs out toward and beyond 10 days of larger storms that would fit the pattern thoughts, so I'd say give a few more days to monitor the signal on the ensembles before getting too concerned about what the op runs are showing. After the first week of February, it's really low confidence in the way things are headed since the ensemble means are quite divergent at the end of their ranges and the teleconnection forecasts are also quite divergent on the EPS and GEFS.

Until our potential favorable window, looks like we'll be in a mostly quiet period away from the LES belts and watching that east coast beast late this week. I remain cautiously optimistic in getting a good storm during early Feb.

Interested in seeing thoughts from other long range gurus/enthusiasts on here.

62lbo5.jpg

20 hours ago, madwx said:

I would be shocked if we got a SSW event this year.   The stratospheric vortex has been very resilient and has stayed stable despite multiple pulses of upward energy from the troposphere.   Also the GFS has tried multiple times in the long range to break down the vortex only to back off

Good. If there's an SSW now it'll be BN through mid-May.

• Weenie 1