Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2021-22 Short/Medium Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTX getting a good start with Winter headlines. After yesterday's Winter Weather Advisory, they hoisted the newer "snow squall warning". That looks to fizzle a bit by the time it gets down here, but nevertheless it looks funny when you read the wording "a dangerous snow squall".

Was watching it on radar expecting an SWS. When there was none I just forgot to check back and totally missed the SNSW which sucks since they aren't too common. The 2nd half of "sucks" is my hunch was right, it got shredded into a few flurries by the time it came over the higher terrain. Looked like a damned bow echoed derecho for bit tho.

Arctic front squall lines are some of the coolest winter phenom around here. It's how you get a glimpse of true bliz conditions since actual events are so few and far between. I like our chances of seeing at least one good one this winter.

2 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

Got hit pretty good with that snow squall in the Royal Oak area. Had a few decent gusts out ahead of it, and then heavy snow in the squall. There was a decent squall earlier in the day too. Tomorrow night is looking decent as well with another quick couple inches in the P&C

That'd be great if it verifies. I'm just stoked to see snow plowed parking lots. Took until Jan 31st last winter for that to happen in Marshall. 2 weeks later winter was over. Three snows worth putting a blade on in 15 days. Last season in a nutshell for my locale.

22 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Was watching it on radar expecting an SWS. When there was none I just forgot to check back and totally missed the SNSW which sucks since they aren't too common. The 2nd half of "sucks" is my hunch was right, it got shredded into a few flurries by the time it came over the higher terrain. Looked like a damned bow echoed derecho for bit tho.

Arctic front squall lines are some of the coolest winter phenom around here. It's how you get a glimpse of true bliz conditions since actual events are so few and far between. I like our chances of seeing at least one good one this winter.

Yes the squall was just light snow here. After legit snowstorm conditions last night no complaints...but it just shredded. I look forward to good arctic fronts this winter too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Those are amazing.  Last time I saw a legit one in Toledo was during the winter of 13-14.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

That'd be great if it verifies. I'm just stoked to see snow plowed parking lots. Took until Jan 31st last winter for that to happen in Marshall. 2 weeks later winter was over. Three snows worth putting a blade on in 15 days. Last season in a nutshell for my locale.

Wow I didn't realize that last Winter that way. We had plowable snows Dec 1, Dec 17, Dec 25. 

Tonight looking like a similar track to the last clipper. Quick hitter, thinking 2" with brief heavy rates. Yesterday's 4" compacted to 2-2.5" then froze into a crust this morning.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

There were already plowed parking lots here with the snow a couple days ago. I broke out the shovel since we needed the driveway clear early yesterday. I’m just so happy to have decent snow again. All the trees have looked really beautiful caked in snow. It’s my gf’s first Michigan winter so she’s loving it

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

There were already plowed parking lots here with the snow a couple days ago. I broke out the shovel since we needed the driveway clear early yesterday. I’m just so happy to have decent snow again. All the trees have looked really beautiful caked in snow. It’s my gf’s first Michigan winter so she’s loving it

I can top that...I started shoveling then actually pulled out the snow blower.  It was legit heart attack snow so I figured the snow blower would eat it up a lot easier than I could shovel it lol. Where's your girlfriend from?

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I can top that...I started shoveling then actually pulled out the snow blower.  It was legit heart attack snow so I figured the snow blower would eat it up a lot easier than I could shovel it lol. Where's your girlfriend from?

She’s from SW Kansas haha so this is a big change. She’s finishing her studies up here and wants to remain in Michigan now. 

WWA now issued for all of the Detroit area. At least 2-3” with rates up to an inch per hour. Liking the radar trends. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

She’s from SW Kansas haha so this is a big change. She’s finishing her studies up here and wants to remain in Michigan now. 

WWA now issued for all of the Detroit area. At least 2-3” with rates up to an inch per hour. Liking the radar trends. 

Dtx didn't issue advisory with the 4pm update and now they did. Wonder what changed their mind?

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Dtx didn't issue advisory with the 4pm update and now they did. Wonder what changed their mind?

The actual wx changed their minds lol. 3pm AFD's only reason not to was due to it being post rush hour. Since when is that the only time of day worth warning Peeps that dangerous driving is likely. Besides, tons of folks work non day shift jobs. It sounded like GRR logic when I read it. Glad somebody thought twice about it. Snow-on-snow in November. Did they relocate Motown to NMI when I wasn't looking??

49 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Couple days ago, WFO's pegged this as maybe a coating. Trend's been our friend. Sucks to sit the fence like Chicago Peeps are enduring. Hopefully y'all join the party soon.

I agree hopefully the entire mid west can start getting some winter like weather before Christmas. As far as the Chicago peeps they really had some impressive snow depths last winter close to the lake shore, the pictures that I saw coming out of that area last winter looked like a northern MI snow belt area! I really hope this early start to winter in the Mitt doesn’t bite us in the butt in a couple weeks with a turn to warmer weather like we’ve all seen so many times before.

2 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

The actual wx changed their minds lol. 3pm AFD's only reason not to was due to it being post rush hour. Since when is that the only time of day worth warning Peeps that dangerous driving is likely. Besides, tons of folks work non day shift jobs. It sounded like GRR logic when I read it. Glad somebody thought twice about it. Snow-on-snow in November. Did they relocate Motown to NMI when I wasn't looking??

I mean, we had snow-on-snow in *Texas* this past February. So nothing surprises me any more, lol...

• Haha 1

New Euro delivers yet another snow event to Michigan this weekend while the rest of the sub continues to get nothing.  

This pattern blows.  We've had extended periods of benign weather much of 2021 but now that it's getting into the cold season the boringness is further amplified if you're into active winter weather/tracking.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

New Euro delivers yet another snow event to Michigan this weekend while the rest of the sub continues to get nothing.  

This pattern blows.  We've had extended periods of benign weather much of 2021 but now that it's getting into the cold season the boringness is further amplified if you're into active winter weather/tracking.

Idk I'd say between this weekend and the event that may or may not come after it, there's at least something to check in on once a day. The euro isn't great for sure, but at least it's moving in the direction of something that may possibly wet the grass. I know all of you guys out there who actually know what you're talking about are probably rolling your eyes -off the top of my head I know Chi Storms, Alek, etc. are all on the skepticism/bleh train- but at least the map isn't completely devoid of color up to the 200 hour mark (that time will come in January). Not to say every chance isn't going to keep evaporating like magic, because we all know they will, but it's better than nothingness to start. 

• Like 2