Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

there is snow in the zones up here but nothing that interesting in the discussion, though I read it quickly.  In 13 years living here Dendriteland, we usually don't get snow that becomes a permanent snowpack until mid December, but usually we get accumulating snow in November at some point

We average nearly 90"/year but in 23 Novembers here, 8 have produced less than 2", 5 less than 1", and only 4 have reached double digits.  Average is 4.9" but 17 of 23 came in BN.  (Balanced by months like the 23.4" of 11/18.)

The models have a great setup for the Nov 25th window, strong North Atlantic blocking developing with the La Niña induced active northern branch digging south. That has the potential to develop into a Miller B. The chances of a major storm are very high, the risk (especially in eastern Mass) is that the cold air supply is limited. We will need the low to undergo rapid cyclogenesis about 200-300 miles southeast of where it’s modeled on the european guidance to get a major snowstorm in eastern mass. I am expecting in my area for this to be a big rainstorm, but it could be big for areas north and west. It also looks like the start of a great pattern heading into December, this pattern with more cold air in place has a lot of potential. 

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Not sure on that one, But that winter is not in the top 5 that i have, But there were a few years where there is missing data.

Massive slingshot job on the Euro....if that happens a little earlier then it could be pretty decent snow. Even as is, it does get accumulating snow into a good chunk of New England...even if most of it is sub-advisory stuff outside the mountains.

• Like 2

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Does anyone remember that huge storm that buried Pittsburgh, PA and rained on us in Novie 1995? Then we had that mixed event later in the month and it never stopped snowing.

That is what this storm reminds me of.

Yeah that was Nov 14-15, 1995 I think...we actually started as snow in that in ORH...but only for a brief time. Had a quick half inch or so and then a lull....then when the main precip shield came in during the afternoon it was 40F rain.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Does anyone remember that huge storm that buried Pittsburgh, PA and rained on us in Novie 1995? Then we had that mixed event later in the month and it never stopped snowing.

That is what this storm reminds me of.

Yes.  Also buried parts of upstate NY.   A week later the anafrontal 3-6 showed up and we were off the races until the mid January melt down before resuming 2 weeks later.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that was Nov 14-15, 1995 I think...we actually started as snow in that in ORH...but only for a brief time. Had a quick half inch or so and then a lull....then when the main precip shield came in during the afternoon it was 40F rain.

Of course Will remembers precisely how many leaves blew done throughout SNE in the event...I was just happy to be in the ballpark-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

The pattern has reminded me of that year the entire autumn.   Let’s keep it going!

Yea, October and early Novie were very mild. Strange because I also anticipate a bit of a STJ presence this season, which is one peculiar trait for a la nina season that that year had.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The pattern has reminded me of that year the entire autumn.   Let’s keep it going!

Another OP run showing a monster block.....yeah, it's in clown range, but the cross-model appeal and ensemble support is pretty good.

Nov16_12zEuro240.gif

• Like 2