Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, CoastalWx said:

That is a dam good stretch. 

Yeah we were spoiled for a while there. Paying the piper a bit recently. I noticed Hingham had a rough stretch between 1976-1988. 11 out of 13 brown Xmas and 16 out of 19 between 1976-1994. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I may have officially still had an inch or two of slush at 7am last year....but it was so disgusting I'm not even counting that as a white Xmas.

It was funny because Xmas eve was amazing....like 50-55 but still a foot of snow OTG and filtered sun. My boys were outside most of the day playing in it and we had a fire going in the fire pit outside. It was quite festive....almost a Reggae-fest atmosphere you see at ski areas in late March on those warmish days. If it weren't for the horrific rainstorm that started later that night, it probably would have just been a typical warm day that melts 3 inches of pack but not much else.

it was warm enough here on xmas eve last year that we hosted an outdoor champagne toast that morning on our driveway since indoor gatherings were not recommended.   Memorial Day weekend and July 4th weekend each had a day that was COLDER than Xmas eve last year.  Crazy how warm the last 10 days of December tend to be lately.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah we were spoiled for a while there. Paying the piper a bit recently. I noticed Hingham had a rough stretch between 1976-1988. 11 out of 13 brown Xmas and 16 out of 19 between 1976-1994. 

Another reason to hate that period.  16 of 19 brown Xmas’ in eastern Mass… yikes.  I mean that’s like someone’s entire childhood.

Turning 18 years old, finishing high school, and only seeing 3 Christmases with 1” or more dusting the ground in your life to that point… in the E.Mass climate belt that these days seems to squat out big snowstorms.

Sounds more in-line with what you’d expect in Maryland or something.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Another reason to hate that period.  16 of 19 brown Xmas’ in eastern Mass… yikes.  I mean that’s like someone’s entire childhood.

Turning 18 years old, finishing high school, and only seeing 3 Christmases with 1” or more dusting the ground in your life to that point… in the E.Mass climate belt that these days seems to squat out big snowstorms.

Yeah honestly don’t recall many at all and that is why lol. Some snow showers etc on a couple of Christmas Eve’s maybe, but not a legit white one. Hell I remember more white T-Days vs White Christmas haha. 1995 was my first real white Christmas I can recall. About a foot otg.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We are due for a white Christmas locally. I don’t think we made the bootleg white Christmas like most in 2017. I honestly can’t remember the last white Christmas here…. 2010?

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

And the new GFS pops a 591dm ridge up the east coast for 11/25. That model is Lol-worthy. It flat out sucks, always has, probably always will

Woah woah woah... c'mon now.    To be fair, no model is handling this progressive wave tumbling pattern very well.  The Euro did something similar at 240 hours just 4 or so cycles ago, having Indian Summer balm ... to runs later, gone.   It's not a GFS sucks thing - either - when you are talking about Nov 25... I mean, that can't possible be a rationally fair metric - folks probably shouldn't be looking at that range if they are using that against performance - just being fair. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah honestly don’t recall many at all and that is why lol. Some snow showers etc on a couple of Christmas Eve’s maybe, but not a legit white one. Hell I remember more white T-Days vs White Christmas haha. 1995 was my first real white Christmas I can recall. About a foot otg.

You prob had snow OTG in 1989? We basically didn’t go above freezing for like 3 weeks straight that month, lol...it wasn’t a very snowy month, but the snow that did fall didn’t go anywhere. The coast did get a little tainted in 12/15/89 event but I still think you got 3-4”. 

The interior managed snow pack on Xmas in both 1991 and 1992 as well. 1992 was the glaciated remains of the Dec 1992 storm but it was bulletproof, lol. 

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You prob had snow OTG in 1989? We basically didn’t go above freezing for like 3 weeks straight that month, lol...it wasn’t a very snowy month, but the snow that did fall didn’t go anywhere. The coast did get a little tainted in 12/15/89 event but I still think you got 3-4”. 

The interior managed snow pack on Xmas in both 1991 and 1992 as well. 1992 was the glaciated remains of the Dec 1992 storm but it was bulletproof, lol. 

Yeah we had a few inches otg then. That was one of them. I’ll have to go back and see if any other years jog my memory. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I actually just looked up Hingham and it makes a little more sense.  I don't know why I thought that was near KBED or Framingham and it most definitely is not.  Coastal south shore town (as I'm sure all of you are aware, ha)... so now it fits a little more.  But still, that's a rough stretch even on the water I'd think.  But I think in my head I rush climo a bit along the actual coast/Atlantic ocean early season.  Plowable/decent December storms are probably a little more rare there than say BED, right?

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Woah woah woah... c'mon now.    To be fair, no model is handling this progressive wave tumbling pattern very well.  The Euro did something similar at 240 hours just 4 or so cycles ago, having Indian Summer balm ... to runs later, gone.   It's not a GFS sucks thing - either - when you are talking about Nov 25... I mean, that can't possible be a rationally fair metric - folks probably shouldn't be looking at that range if they are using that against performance - just being fair. 

I would just ignore everything that guy says.

He's a known troll in the NYC forum and is 5 posted because of it.

Just posts in here to shit on Anthony or cause some 300hr+ GFS run shows a ridge while most have been talking cold and snow. Anything to go against cold and snow.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I actually just looked up Hingham and it makes a little more sense.  I don't know why I thought that was near KBED or Framingham and it most definitely is not.  Coastal south shore town (as I'm sure all of you are aware, ha)... so now it fits a little more.  But still, that's a rough stretch even on the water I'd think.  But I think in my head I rush climo a bit along the actual coast/Atlantic ocean early season.  Plowable/decent December storms are probably a little more rare there than say BED, right?

Yes. I live a few miles west of that guy. We usually are similar except in some events where the CF crawls east. He also does obs like once a day and I’ve noticed some differences in snowfall I think because of that, but he’s pretty good. Older guy who was in charge of Blue Hill Observatory up until several years ago. 

BED certainly sees more plowable events early on, but it’s not something that’s mind blowingly crazy. If BED is snowy, so am I. It’s just that the borderline events would favor them. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yes. I live a few miles west of that guy. We usually are similar except in some events where the CF crawls east. He also does obs like once a day and I’ve noticed some differences in snowfall I think because of that, but he’s pretty good. Older guy who was in charge of Blue Hill Observatory up until several years ago. 

BED certainly sees more plowable events early on, but it’s not something that’s mind blowingly crazy. If BED is snowy, so am I. It’s just that the borderline events would favor them. 

S Wey just a bit too near the water 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I also grew up in Brockton which is inland and does a little better with borderline events. So we had some decent December storms that maybe were borderline in Hingham despite their latitude. 

Hingham also has a orientation issue - it’s on an east-west oriented stretch with water to the north. So even a NNE or N wind, which would give most everybody else a shot at holding on to some cold, has too much overwater fetch to make it work. Granted, it’s mainly just Boston Harbor we’re talking about, but especially early in the season, it mixed in too much heat content at lower levels.

11 minutes ago, MJOatleast7 said:

Hingham also has a orientation issue - it’s on an east-west oriented stretch with water to the north. So even a NNE or N wind, which would give most everybody else a shot at holding on to some cold, has too much overwater fetch to make it work. Granted, it’s mainly just Boston Harbor we’re talking about, but especially early in the season, it mixed in too much heat content at lower levels.

That is true in the early season. I’ve even had that here where I am. Unless of course it’s 10/30/20 lol.  But yeah even a north wind like in November can cause issues, but that’s mainly borderline events in November. It really doesn’t  effect the average overall.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yea, I had about 5" of crust left Dec 1992.

3 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I would just ignore everything that guy says.

He's a known troll in the NYC forum and is 5 posted because of it.

Just posts in here to shit on Anthony or cause some 300hr+ GFS run shows a ridge while most have been talking cold and snow. Anything to go against cold and snow.

You’re so stupid it makes me angry. Are you naturally this dumb or did you have to take a class? 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1