Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS trying to amplify that EPO/PNA combo ridge a little more today....something to watch in terms of any chance of winter wx in the 2nd half of the month:

Nov4_12zEPS336.png

A later November early December snow storm would hit the spot. When I was a kid it seemed we always got the first decent storm beginning of December although I remember a couple of Thanksgiving snow storms that cancelled the High School games

24 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

A later November early December snow storm would hit the spot. When I was a kid it seemed we always got the first decent storm beginning of December although I remember a couple of Thanksgiving snow storms that cancelled the High School games

Tday 1971 was the really big one with over a foot in ORH (but mostly rain inside 128). But I believe there was a 2-4” snow to sleet/ice event in 1985 too. I was only 4 for that one so barely remember but we were up visiting from Texas and I remember losing power...it was almost perfect timing since it was right as the food was done cooking. Everyone ate in candlelight. 

Of course we had the pretty big event on Tday 1989, the day before Tday in 2002, and then also the day before Tday in 2014. 2005 had a smaller event on Tday itself. We also had small events the day before Tday in 1994 and 1996 which gave us white thanksgivings. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Tday 1971 was the really big one with over a foot in ORH (but mostly rain inside 128). But I believe there was a 2-4” snow to sleet/ice event in 1985 too. I was only 4 for that one so barely remember but we were up visiting from Texas and I remember losing power...it was almost perfect timing since it was right as the food was done cooking. Everyone ate in candlelight. 

Of course we had the pretty big event on Tday 1989, the day before Tday in 2002, and then also the day before Tday in 2014. 2005 had a smaller event on Tday itself. We also had small events the day before Tday in 1994 and 1996 which gave us white thanksgivings. 

71 was my brother's senior year playing football on Tday for Westerly RI High. I was the ball boy, it was pouring all game and as cold as it can get without snowing. I think it ended as snow that afternoon. HFD had 8 after a change to snow. There was another elevation snowstorm the week before. ORH had 20 that month. Quite the month with 11 days of trace or more and the last 11 days with snow cover 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snowedin said:

I'll take 60 right through Thanksgiving tbh..perfect temp for leaf cleanup and spending time with family in the yard. Nothing worse than throwing around the ol football when its rock solid and eventually getting smashed in the face between bottles of beer.

Marcia Marcia Marcia

Jkit.gif

• Haha 2

Ah, the age old debate about whether Thanksgiving is a holiday where you sit inside with sweaters on next to a roaring fire or sit outside on the patio in  cargo shorts sipping margaritas.

I go with the former, myself.

Seems like most of my Thanksgiving memories involve opening windows in the house to let in some air and extinguishing the fireplace, though. :( 

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Ah, the age old debate about whether Thanksgiving is a holiday where you sit inside with sweaters on next to a roaring fire or sit outside on the patio in  cargo shorts sipping margaritas.

I go with the former, myself.

Seems like most of my Thanksgiving memories involve opening windows in the house to let in some air and extinguishing the fireplace, though. :( 

Torchgiving and Torchmas. 

37 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

NOAA has records back to 1905 for BDL well it says "hartford area" which is of course, BDL in Windsor Locks. Ryan mentioned records go back to 1954. Were records kept at a different location prior to 1954? I'm guessing it was Hartford proper, maybe HFD?

Yes the old records were kept at Brainard

• Like 1